Thread: Hey I came back!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hey I came back!

Sorry to have disappeared off the face of Planet Pachinko over the past few months. I had a couple of health issues, not to mention a crackdown on internet during the work day.

I'm still working on the same vintage Sankyo - I think I decoded the date as May 1974 or 75, so it's 40th birthday will be coming up soon.

While I was away, I tore off the poorly-designed, ugly, and water-damaged original import frame. I designed an entirely new cabinet for it. It's something of my own devising. I'm mainly pleased with it. I'll get some pictures shortly.

I also have a few more technical questions to ask. But I'll get to those in time.

Meanwhile, I'm welcoming myself back (ha!) and getting ready to bombard y'all with questions.

-Dito

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to bundito

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hey I came back!

Welcome back!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad to have you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Back!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I promised some info... the machine is fully operational. I've thoroughly cleaned the entire mechanism. I cut a new acrylic front "glass" panel. I got the glass release mechanism out, cleaned all the gunk out of it, a little dry graphite lube, and now it works like a dream.

I built a new case of my own devising. I hated the "Pachinko Palace" el cheapo wooden frame and two crosswise feet. It still wanted to tip when you popped the lock.

So I built this crazy thing:

Yep, it rotates around the center axis. It only took three damned tries. The rotation is provided by two 3" square ball-bearing turntables from my best buddies at McMaster-Carr. You want a building challenge, try aligning these things over 40-odd inches with wood that's naturally not as straight as my CAD drawings.

When I took these photos, it was kept in a "locked" position with a long hitch pin on a chain:

This was nice, because I just needed a second hole on the opposite side to latch it permanently reversed.

The latch pin is still there, but the main lock is now a sturdier sliding door lock. I'll send more pictures.

Yet to do:

Lights: will be LEDs, driven by an Arduino Uno and a few extra chips. Plan is for 16 LEDs, including some surrounding the playfield for general lighting. Using the Arduino will allow me to code some fancy "animation" routines for power-up and for jackpots.

Feet: It likes to lean backwards a little to work best, which I understand is pretty common. I've got screw-adjustable feet to install.

Ball Capture/Loading:
    Argh, this part sucks. The space underneath the machine is intended to have a door for access to the losing-ball-collection tray. I just haven't worked out a good mechanism for catching the losing balls. It's got to be elegant and work the same if the machine is rotated forward or backward. Same for a top-load funnel box thing. You can see the space up there. Just not worked out yet.

So there ya go. A brief update.

-Dito

PS: best tool in the world for pachinko workers? A magnetic shop roller. Picks up every runaway ball and dropped screw, no problem. Six bucks at Harbor Freight. Buy one.

7. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to bundito