Thread: found a vintage, wondering if you think this may have water damage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default found a vintage, wondering if you think this may have water damage

Hi all,

I found another pachinko, could be my fourth one. Not sure , if you guys think this is water damage, the seller says there is no water damage, but not sure since the guy knows nothing about pachinkos...

Anyway attached a pic. here. what is your expert opinion ? i absolutely love the center... may be hard to tell with the glare, but you can see most of the cell...

Thanks always
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to newbie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: found a vintage, wondering if you think this may have water damage

That's a Nishijin Model C machine that appears to have significant water staining on the cell. Depending on how adventurous you are, you could buy the machine and replace the entire cell.

The model C machines are harder to come by and are pretty fun to play.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

oh man, not sure if I would want to attempt to replace the cell...
    I've read some threads with regards to that, may be beyond my
    skill...

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would grab that machine for sure. Replacing the cell is not complicated it just requires time and patience. Plus that center feature is great as many of the C machines seem to have.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi, I have time and patience , perhaps if I buy it , this forum can instruct me Thanks! How much $$ do you guys see this type going for ??

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to newbie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There's plenty of help on here if you decide to do it. There's also the digital restoration book out there to to help you step by step on replicating the cel.
    Not sure about price. You could low ball and start out at 50 or so-you never know. You can use the water damage to your advantage in bargaining.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-04-2010 at 11:02 AM.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

See if the seller would sell it for $25 (based on the water stains). The highest I would go would be $40, assuming all of the parts are there and the machine works.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to bad... dotn usualy see that kind of waterdamage on a "C" machine..

if your not wanting to put a new cell face on it I would take a Pass on that one.. another machine will come along in way better shape...

if your willing i thnk between 30 to 50 max... but we seem to have more vintage on the west coast???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks all, true, I don't see many vintage on east coast.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We usually say water damage, but the pachinko is still in working order, we probably should say water stain, but this stain are permanent to the cell now.

The water stain the laminated paper on the cell, and this water marks stay in the paper. Here's a pic of back the laminating film and paper of my powerflash, with a zoomed zone to the right, you will see the yellow brownish pattern create by the water

stain.jpg

These stains create dark spots around the edges and nails, your is worse than the one in my photo.

If you plan to resurface it, it's a long task, you will need to find a way (build a tool) to pull all nails, not bending them, remove the tracks, remove everything on the front, remove everything mechanism and things on the back, clean all pieces, pull the cell out of the frame (attached with big twisted nails, not easy), sand the cell, have your design done and print, then have it glued or laminated on the cell, cut the holes for the pockets, place back every nails where they was, place back the tracks and maybe have to make new attachs with paperclips for them, place back everything on front, back..

It's a long long task, if you already have disassembled your other ones to clean them, you know how to reassemble them, so that's a good start. We are here to help you if need, but it's a really long work.

You can also keep it as-is for a while and play with it, figure if you love it and want to put all the work on it. Just think if you have time to work on it, can take over a month, a couple hours every night...
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 07-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.

18. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good info from Tilion but you don't need a special tool for nail pulling. You can wrap pliers in tape, grab the nail close to the cel and pull as you twist. Also, some mention putting nails back where they came from, as in the original hole. That's not necessary either especially if you don't bend them during removal. Even if you do bend them that's ok-they're made to be bent. It is alot of work but it's fun and you'll learn alot.
    For my Tbird PFlash it took about 15 hours total. 3 or so for nail removal and reinsertion and bending.
    I didn't have to do any cel artwork since there are no graphics on a Pflash but I did repaint all the decorative plastics. I was stalled a bit waiting on the correct color of adhesive vinyl to come in as well as adhesive Mylar to further protect the cel which I highly recommend. If you're going thru this amount of work you should protect it as best you can. Ive done it to two of my machines and eventually they all will have it along with new cels. I say go for it and you will be rewarded with a much better knowledge of your machine as well as accomplishing something very few here have done. Reassembly actually goes fairly smoothly since you've learned the intricacies during disassembly.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-04-2010 at 04:12 PM.

20. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    There's also the digital restoration book out there to to help you step by step on replicating the cel.
    I did not know that. Where?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Holy hell!! Don't you people read all of my always informative and extremely interesting posts???
    But seriously I started a post on it in the vintage section called " digital restoration book". If you plan on reproducing graphics, labels, stickers, etc. for anything then it's a must have. Buy it from gameroommag.com.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxzan View Post
    I did not know that. Where?
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...tion-book.html

Das Book
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I say buy it. you really don't see nishijin C's that often, and that face is great.

make sure the mechanicals are mostly there in the back.

If I was still hunting for my first "C", I would go $60 max, with everything working on the back.

there's been lots of post this past 6 months on cell restorations, so it could be a fun project. if you wanted to stay simple, you could just cover with a solid color vinyl decal.

good luck. may the pachinko force be with you... or, is it an obsession
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

26. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks everyone for all your feedback !! Not sure if the guy will take my offer, but threw it out to him .. If not, wasn't meant to be then He is asking an unreasonable amount.

Will keep ya updated...

28. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to newbie