Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just found two machines for $50 and want to show off/learn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Just found two machines for $50 and want to show off/learn

Never had any particular interest in obtaining a machine, let alone two, but I can't wait to (hopefully) get them set up in my game room.

While I'm not on the level of "anime fan," I find Japan interesting and have some nostalgia thanks to my love of retro video games. Happened across two vintage machines on a Facebook group for $100 or $200, I forget. Came with no balls (or so I thought), and no promise of functionality. I commented that they were cool, and the lady said I could take one for $50. I was broke, so I had to pass. Tax return season rolls around a couple of months later, and she still has them. She took $50 for both of them just to get them gone.

I think they're in pretty good cosmetic condition, especially the Sanyo. Need a better cleaning than I've given them, I'm sure, but it's a work in progress. As for how they work? I looked around a little for repair guides, and after tinkering a couple of hours, I've freed three balls from the machines, and have managed to get them launching in both. The only things wrong besides the filth of them was some bent pieces near the levers that I managed to figure out and place back into a working position; whether or not it's "correct," well... I don't know. I did get the few balls I had to successfully fire from both machines, which just made me feel good inside to see.

I seem to be having a hard time finding pictures of the aforementioned Sanyo, and love the design on it, so I thought this would be a good place to show off a little bit and share. I'm pretty stoked with how vibrant the colors of the background are for its age (I don't know exactly, but I'm assuming 75/76 from my bit of research).

The second Nishijin machine with the Angel design is also pretty cool, but I'm a bigger fan of the Sanyo.

I've just purchased 250 balls to properly load and test them, and am planning to buy some wood to make a stand for the Sanyo. I'll let you guys know how well they work when they arrive.

If anybody has any general advice, let me know.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

2. The following 17 users say "Thanks" to ssjlance

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Just found two machines for $50 and want to show off/learn

Thats an interesting bomb theme for Japan. The angel is cute to
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello and welcome. Nice couple machines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For $50, you can't go wrong with those machines. The vibrant colors on the Sanyo are great. Nice purchase! And welcome to the forum.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

nice looking pair.. can you post pics of the back..

my advice would be to order at least 750 more ball... 500 per machine is a great starting place.. 250 per machine will allow them to work.. but your going to be shuffling allot of balls to keep playing..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello ssjlance and welcome to the group!

Nice score for some nice machines. The colors are really great on the Sanyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the responses. I'm no expert, but I knew the Sanyo was worth sharing pictures of when I saw the way most of them look in pictures online. My best guess is since the Sanyo doesn't have a stand, it was propped up in an attic somewhere in a way where the light couldn't get to it; the Nishijin was not quite so lucky, though it's still in what I would call at least acceptable shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Thats an interesting bomb theme for Japan. The angel is cute to
    Right? I don't know aircraft or military well enough to say anything for certain, but it's surprisingly reminiscent of WWII for something to come from Japan in the 70's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    nice looking pair.. can you post pics of the back.. my advice would be to order at least 750 more ball...
    I certainly can when I get home from work tonight. And yeah, I was at least planning to get another 250, I had already just about cleaned out the last bit of my fun budget from my tax returns getting the machines, so I went cheap. Plus, I'd love to know they both work well before stocking up on plenty of balls for both machines. Still, definitely in the plans, and 1000 will probably be what I end up going for, assuming I keep both of them.

I honestly may sell the Nishijin whether or not it works properly, simply for space concerns (one bedroom apartment with a one-year-old daughter; I'm going to have to remove the balls whenever they aren't being played as it is).

Honestly, I bought them figuring they were most likely both broken beyond the scope of my meager repair skills and would make for some cool game room wall art; the fact that they appear to more or less work after a couple of minor adjustments just makes for a bonus at this point. XD

11. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to ssjlance

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    and would make for some cool game room wall art; the fact that they appear to more or less work after a couple of minor adjustments just makes for a bonus at this point. XD
    you understand this is Pachitalk talk.. (translation...) your already looking for more, aren't ya... its ok you can tell us
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

".................simply for space concerns (one bedroom apartment with a one-year-old daughter...................."

To paraphrase Richard Dreyfuss from Jaws........"sounds like you're going to need a bigger house"..........if you're going to be serious about your newfound (but maybe not yet diagnosed) Pachinko addiction! You'll soon be scouring Craigslist like a crackhead looking for his next score. Welcome to the club!
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

...and the support group meets every 5th Sunday evening

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    ...and the support group meets every 5th Sunday evening
    meetings start just after 24:00

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Small status update, and pictures of the backs of the machines. Nishijin on the left, Sanyo on the right.

nishijin.jpgsanyo.jpg

Balls arrived in the mail today. Nishijin seems to work pretty flawlessly, minus a missing track cover. Didn't have time to test out the Sanyo before I had to leave for work, but I have high hopes. Bought a 9-volt battery at the store the other day, just need to connect it long enough to see if the lights work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    To paraphrase Richard Dreyfuss from Jaws........"sounds like you're going to need a bigger house"..........if you're going to be serious about your newfound (but maybe not yet diagnosed) Pachinko addiction! You'll soon be scouring Craigslist like a crackhead looking for his next score. Welcome to the club!
    Heh, if I get lucky, I'll only find more after I own my own place (or at least rent a larger one). Don't know how likely it is I'll ever find more where I live right now (Juneau, Alaska). It's practically an island, only accessible by boat or plane.

Though I highly doubt these are the only two pachinko machines in my city, I don't see them moving in or out very often. You see people give away a whole house's worth of furniture when they move away from here because they didn't have time to sell it. I'm pretty sure these two came from a nice couple in their late teens or very early twenties who inherited them in an attic, didn't care or know anything much about them, and figured they could make a little extra spending money while also clearing out "junk."

One man's trash, and all that.

21. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ssjlance

Thanks
    Thanks Received

good luck with the Sanyo... they have a history of being finicky...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good find. I can never get that lucky lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    ".................simply for space concerns (one bedroom apartment with a one-year-old daughter...................."

I thought it was Roy Scheider who delivered that line
    Ian #UKPachinko

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

to the site that Never Closes cause someone is always online here.

Great score on those two Vintage Pachinko Machines
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good news. It looks like the Sanyo works properly, too. For now, have the Nishijin set up in my bedroom closet (daughter hasn't figured out the sliding doors yet XD) with 200 balls in thepayout mechanism and 50 more in a Tupperware to play with.

Only bad news is the lights don't work, but I assume it just needs new bulbs.

Planning to buy another 1000 balls on payday, along with some wood to make a stand for the Sanyo (and maybe a cabinet, if funds permit). That way, each machine will be easily playable with 500 balls each for jackpots, plus 250 more to set aside for play.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to ssjlance

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=ssjlance;562227

Right? I don't know aircraft or military well enough to say anything for certain, but it's surprisingly reminiscent of WWII for something to come from Japan in the 70's.

[/QUOTE]

The E2c is a naval military aircraft from 70s-2000's I love the theme due to Retiring from the US Navy in 2004

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    meetings start just after 24:00
    What time zone

30. The following user says "Thanks" to WhiteBuffalo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast