Thread: Help With Older Nishijin Electronics?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help With Older Nishijin Electronics?

Ok, I got this machine earlier today at a flea market ($29, in good operating condition mechanically from what I can test, so I'm quite happy as I've wanted one of these for a long time) and I can't really find anything about this particular style.

It's a Nasijin, the little sticker on the front dates it at about 1973-75. From what I've found online, there are 3 basic types of these machines, but mine fits none of them. It's a basic looking machine on the surface, but the back panel on mine opens a second time revealing a small electronic system of some sort. Nothing I've searched for has shown anything like what I have, but I did see a mention on an FAQ (here I think) that some of these older machines had additional electronics, but there was nothing beyond that.

Anyone have any knowledge or have any idea where I could go to get more information about this? I want to restore this to full working condition but this is a bit beyond my scope of looking at it and figuring out what it does.

Thank you!

front.jpgback.jpginside1.jpginside2.jpg

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Nabster

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help With Older Nasijin Electronics?

a few members have a similar style machine, I'm sure they will be along to help you

nice buy!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are lots of Nishijin models from that time period to use as reference, but the ones where they started adding minor electronics and circuit boards are more rare.

However there's a good chance everything will still work once you hook up some power. You'll need to figure out what voltage to run into the fuse box at the top (which looks like it may be missing). One of mine had the power requirements printed on the plastic, but you may be able to find it elsewhere. If you run off a battery it won't be much of a problem. If you need more power, then buy the appropriate transformer (I can't tell you much about that, just that Japanese wall current is 100v).

It looks like you're missing the cover for the payout mechanism. You can probably get one from Bill Connelly at pachinkoman.com since that is a common design.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

5. The following user says "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The little fuse panel has some japense on it, in addition to a 10V, so I'm assuming it's for a 10 volt fuse. I've got scads of those old fuses around since I use the same type in my '69 mustang. I have a bit more than a basic understanding of wiring, but from what I've seen the basic light and switch wiring on the back panel is a separate system than the stuff on the inside which has a lead from what looks like a standard plug that has been cut off.

I'm also missing a piece at the bottom that transfers the balls from the play tray to the bottom tray, at least I can't figure out how to get the 3 balls that were in the thing to transfer without them simple dropping out the back.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can run the top lights off a 9v battery. Pick up a metal U-clip at radio shack and a snap connector (RadioShack.com). I use a rechargable one. The jackpot lights just flash, but the empty hopper light will stay on until it's refilled. Bulbs can be replaced with #50 Screw-Base Lamp 7.5 volts - 220mA.

I have a Nishijin from the same time period that I power the main wires with an AC to DC transformer. 24v seems to be the most common power requirement for these machine; it works for mine.

Here's more details on basic trouble shooting that I posted the other day: PachiTalk.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a quick update on this. While I couldn't find any info on this specific machine, I was able to get it all sorted out and working. Took lots of trips to radioshack and some searching for some weird parts online but it now functions as close to originally as I can get it.

I'll have more pictures up when I'm able to get some in good lighting, hopefully later today or tomorrow.

10. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Nabster

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sharmoni View Post
    There are lots of Nishijin models from that time period to use as reference, but the ones where they started adding minor electronics and circuit boards are more rare.

However there's a good chance everything will still work once you hook up some power. You'll need to figure out what voltage to run into the fuse box at the top (which looks like it may be missing). One of mine had the power requirements printed on the plastic, but you may be able to find it elsewhere. If you run off a battery it won't be much of a problem. If you need more power, then buy the appropriate transformer (I can't tell you much about that, just that Japanese wall current is 100v).

It looks like you're missing the cover for the payout mechanism. You can probably get one from Bill Connelly at pachinkoman.com since that is a common design.
    It's amazing to me how many of these machines are missing various covers from their backs. I have a machine that is missing the white ball-cover (the removable one that covers the balls before they feed into the center jackpot). I contacted Bill to see how much he would charge for one...$50 bucks. I was extremely surprised at the price, but it is a necessary part, and I don't suppose they are making any more of them. Since $50 is more than I paid for the entire machine, I passed...I'll custom make something that should do the job. Still, on the open market, the sum of the individual parts are apparently worth much, much more than the machine as a whole. I am hopeful that the only machines that are being used for parts are those that are absolutely beyond repair...it would be a shame to disassmble perfectly good machines just to sell the individual pieces for a net profit.

Regarding this machine, I've never seen one with those particular electronics...I'd be very interested to see it in action. A very nice pickup for $29...

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, I'm going to try and put pictures up in the next post to see if it will post them without delay.

I'll also try to get together a decent video of how I have it working so you can see it in action.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, here we go, cleaned up front and back from what we had originally.

IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg

The two green things on the play field are switches, unfortunately they were missing whatever stickers were on them originally. If a ball activates either of the two switches the "jackpot mode" is immediately canceled.

IMG_0949.jpg

On the back most machines have some sort of sticker identifying different things- I don't have that. Instead I have a metal box that pokes out to house the electronics that control the jackpot mechanism on the inner panel.

IMG_0952.jpg

15. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Nabster

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the back opened up.

IMG_0956.jpg

Back side view of the gravity operated stuff- probably something you don't see often.

IMG_0955.jpg

And here are the jackpot mechanism electronics. It took me a while to figure out how I was going to actuate the jackpot mechanism on the front, then it dawned on me to look for the same little electromagnetic solenoids that are used for the little lights on the front- a quick search on ebay turned up a lot of 5 that were basically exactly what I needed.

The way it works, is once a ball enters either of the top two holes on the yellow feature above the center jackpot it falls down and triggers a switch. This switch activates the first electromagnet which ratchets an electrical contact on the small board. I have it setup that the first, third, and fifth triggers light up three lights on the front and open the tire to allow a ball to enter the center hole. The second and fourth triggers each light up a single light on the front, and close the tire. On the sixth trigger the second electromagnet is triggered and resets the ratchet back to the start.

It's rather interesting how they set it up to work.

IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg

17. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Nabster

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love it!!! Great machine, Great review and Pics!!! Well done

Now I have to find one of those machines!
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, I know I posted another set of pics in a second post after that one.. but it isn't showing. I'll repost them tomorrow if it isn't up then (if the whole has to be approved thing is still going).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the photos and details on the operation. I love that period of early electronic action. My Power Flash pachinko is one of my favorites.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

So what does it do differently if it goes directly down the center as apposed to either of the top side holes? Are those two the key to activating the center?

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    So what does it do differently if it goes directly down the center as apposed to either of the top side holes? Are those two the key to activating the center?
    That along with the original little mechanism for moving the tire on the front was lost with time. As I have it wired to do now, it just ratchets the whole thing one step forward and your reward is basically just a light that isn't lit up much and a jackpot. The reward for getting it into the two top holes is a standard jackpot, along with re-opening the tire on the front, giving you a big area you can score an additional jackpot much easier with.

If I could find out how it worked originally I could probably get it to work as it once did, but without another one of these machines to compare with, I did the best I could.

I see my second set of pictures is up now, so that should provide some additional stuff to look at. Now to get a video.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help With Older Nishijin Electronics?

Ok, here's a video of this. Hopefully you'll get an idea of how the jackpot thing works- it gets set off at about 1:24.

YouTube - Nishijin Pachinko

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Nabster

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was thinking of restoring my "vintage" nishijin using LED's instead of light bulbs. Lower voltage, lower heat, lower energy consumption.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to frompkin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not really necessary if you only have lights. I use 7v bulbs from Radio Shack run off a 9v rechargeable battery. They fit the existing bulb holders, so there's no work involved in retrofitting.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My vintage machine has all the microswitches, but none of the lights or wiring. So I'll have to rebuild that part.