Thread: My latest Acquisition

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My latest Acquisition

Over the weekend I picked up this Nishijin Model A from a guy who was downsizing.

Front.jpg

The back of the machine needs some work but the front is in remarkably good condition. There is zero water damage to the original playfield. Because it is a Model A I am placing it at the head of the line for my next restoration (after the Model B I have have been posting about and another Model A that I recently started).

The back has a mechanism that I have never seen before, at least not in person. Here is a photo:

Rear Tulip Mech.jpg

Note the counterweighted bail that interacts with the tulips. Does anyone have (or can you take) a nice clear photo of how this is suppose to look? I have not had enough time to play with it. It may be correct right now but I don't know.

The back of the machine has some issues. There are some "Modifications" that someone made to defeat the normal operation of the machine. The ball out light is gone and the switch is hanging loose. Also the recycler tray has been pulled from the back of the machine on the left side. This has been a problem in 2 of my 3 Model As.

The glass is still there and intact. I will do a full teardown on the back and pull all the front features for cleaning.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My latest Acquisition

Congrats, nice looking machine. I checked my model A and I don't have the part between the tulips either.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to sparky kilowatt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I restored one of these; yours seems to be missing the metal cover for the rear mechanism that opens tulips.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    I restored one of these; yours seems to be missing the metal cover for the rear mechanism that opens tulips.
    AH! I actually have that part. It was in a group of "Extra parts" that came with the machine. Thanks for posting this. Do you have a picture of yours with that cover detached? I want to see how the bail aligns with the pins that come out of the back of the tulips.

As an aside, you and I use the same method to power the lights. Also, I love your little dog.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yungoe View Post
    AH! I actually have that part. It was in a group of "Extra parts" that came with the machine. Thanks for posting this. Do you have a picture of yours with that cover detached? I want to see how the bail aligns with the pins that come out of the back of the tulips.

As an aside, you and I use the same method to power the lights. Also, I love your little dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks a bunch, Lotsoballs. I can see that my machine needs a lot of work on the back side. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this picture. I may reach out to you when I start working on it.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Yungoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can you tell me what you did to the front of this machine. It looks like you just sanded it then coated it with polyurethane or something similar. It's very nice.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yungoe View Post
    Can you tell me what you did to the front of this machine. It looks like you just sanded it then coated it with polyurethane or something similar. It's very nice.
    I did a full restoration; so complete disassembly; removal of the factory paper playfield, and replaced it with a high quality vinyl wrap; designed for car hoods (custom made to a smaller size, from an eBay vendor in China); but it’s self adhesive and the exact same material as other aftermarket replacement playfields. I then put a clear glossy protective film of “Duralar” over the vinyl to keep it from getting dirty/damaged ever again.

There’s a couple vendors that sell replacement vinyl playfields as well; I usually go that route. But wanted to do something different lately.

The cabinet was custom made by me; and used Keda wood dye to get hot pink stain, then several coats of polyurethane.
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 08-23-2022 at 06:08 PM.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did a full restoration; so complete disassembly; removal of the factory paper playfield, and replaced it with a high quality vinyl wrap; designed for car hoods (custom made to a smaller size, from an eBay vendor in China); but it’s self adhesive and the exact same material as other aftermarket replacement playfields. I then put a clear glossy protective film of “Duralar” over the vinyl to keep it from getting dirty/damaged ever again.

There’s a couple vendors that sell replacement vinyl playfields as well; I usually go that route. But wanted to do something different lately.

The cabinet was custom made by me; and used Keda wood dye to get hot pink stain, then several coats of polyurethane.
    Oh yeah, I refinished the door frame too, I sanded it down a bit, applied a whitewash wood stain, then 3 coats of polyurethane.

It looks weird if you leave the wood frame in rough shape and have it contrasted with a new and shiny playfield and shiny chrome! So I always refinish the frame door too; unless it’s covered in Formica like some later models are.
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 08-23-2022 at 06:16 PM.

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry to jump into the thread uninvited, but I’m wondering how your leads from the battery stay in? I’m missing one of the lugs (I think that’s what they’re called?) and it looks like you have some other good way to keep them in place? Thanks for any advice!

19. The following user says "Thanks" to ballinke

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ballinke View Post
    Sorry to jump into the thread uninvited, but I’m wondering how your leads from the battery stay in? I’m missing one of the lugs (I think that’s what they’re called?) and it looks like you have some other good way to keep them in place? Thanks for any advice!
    I have reproduction thumbscrews for the electrical connections...originals on the left mine on the right (actually I think I updated the file since this pic and the textured part is thinner like the original) I can make them in white, orange, green, yellow, black, but currently don't have any blue filament for the 3D printer. Of course I can have almost any color you would want delivered in a couple days from Amazon.

ElectricalThumbscrews.jpg ElectricalThumbscrews.jpg
    Last edited by SibSr; 08-30-2022 at 10:23 AM.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to SibSr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ballinke View Post
    Never hesitate to jump into any of my conversations. If there is something you need to know, ask. I come here to share what I know and to get the same from the very generous people here who are always willing to share their knowledge and techniques.

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Yungoe