Thread: Wiring mod trigger ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Wiring mod trigger ideas

Here goes...
    trough1.JPG
    I didn't want to try soldering directly to the trough (and not just because I didn't think it'd work), so I soldered to two strips of 1/4"-wide conductive-adhesive-backed copper tape. Then I put a few coats of acrylic on one side of the trough, over which I'd adhere one strip of copper, to insulate one side from the other. I then stuck the other strip straight on the metal and wired the strips to the power source and LEDs, respectively.
    trough1a.jpg
    I then used a bit more copper to extend up the back of the trough (where the striker comes through) to make sure that the ball in the trough would still complete the circuit even when the handle is pulled back.
    trough2+2a.jpg
    Like so.

And, yes, in answer to your question AnythingObscure, it sounds like basically the same material, though mine hasn't the outer silver-colored coat.

I'm also going to try the same basic switch inside "plain" pockets, connected to an LED that will -- in theory -- back-light the pocket whenever a ball lands in it. The duration of the lighting would be dictated by the length of copper strips inside the hole (and, of course, the depth of the hole+pocket). But in that application, I'll have to make sure the strips stay very smooth, to prevent a ball from getting stuck on a snag.

I am, however, concerned about the longevity of the copper strips and their adhesive, so I am looking for a more permanent, non-oxidizing, solution. (Perhaps some sort of gold-plated rails that I can crimp on?)

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Mr.Lazo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lazo View Post
    I soldered to two strips of 1/4"-wide conductive-adhesive-backed copper tape. Then I put a few coats of acrylic on one side of the trough, over which I'd adhere one strip of copper, to insulate one side from the other. I then stuck the other strip straight on the metal and wired the strips to the power source and LEDs, respectively.
    So there's a layer of acrylic paint under one of the strips? And that's because without it, the copper strips would form an electrical connection through the metal trough?

I'm loving this idea. I wonder where else along the ball path you could do this. Thanks for giving me an excuse to source another machine .

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by topper View Post
    So there's a layer of acrylic paint under one of the strips? And that's because without it, the copper strips would form an electrical connection through the metal trough?
    Exactly. I just had to make sure the acrylic was thick enough and covered enough area to keep the copper tape on top of it from shorting to the trough.