Thread: Transformer help for new import

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Transformer help for new import

I'm sure this is a really easy question to answer and it's a very beginner question, but I've tried searching with no luck. I'm importing my first modern machine and want to be prepared when it comes in. As far as I know, it is how it was in the parlor, but I'm not positive. What transformer would you recommend and do I need any other supplies (like wire, clamps, tools, plug, etc...) to wire it up? Is there any video or photo guide I can follow to make sure I dont screw anything up? I'm pretty much a beginner at this type of stuff. Thanks for the help.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Transformer help for new import

First. Can you post a picture of the back of the machine showing the lead. Also look over the back for a number with a VA suffix like 160va or 200va
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Machine is still in transit. If there isn't a way to guess ahead of time then I'll have to wait and post a photo when it comes in. If it's the same instructions just buy transformer a or b depending on which VA then I'd appreciate help with either since I likely will get the other at some point in the future

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you have the full name of the machine or a picture from the seller's website, a web link?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by peteybob View Post
    do you have the full name of the machine or a picture from the seller's website, a web link?
    crくるりん魚v

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Pachiela

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pachiela View Post
    crくるりん魚v
    Thanks, I don't have anything of this brand but it may lead others to help out before it arrives. Looks like a cool machine if it is like this one. I pulled this from a Yahoo! Japan auction page.

desktop1.jpg

Taiyo Elec / September 2002 Introduction
    https://www.pachinkovista.com/pfacto...nid=13916&km=1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Thanks, I don't have anything of this brand but it may lead others to help out before it arrives. Looks like a cool machine if it is like this one. I pulled this from a Yahoo! Japan auction page.

desktop1.jpg

Taiyo Elec / September 2002 Introduction
    https://www.pachinkovista.com/pfacto...nid=13916&km=1
    I have one of those! Here is the transformer that is on mine. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-479.jpg 24VAC 5Amps. Not sure if it is too big...but it certainly don't seem underpowered.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    First. Can you post a picture of the back of the machine showing the lead. Also look over the back for a number with a VA suffix like 160va or 200va
    I looked everywhere (short of getting a step stool and looking straight down)' I don't see anything with a VA suffix. I would have expected to find it here. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-482.jpg There are fuses under the plastic door, and it does say AC24V on the circuit board where the pair of red wires come in from above. On a circuit board in the middle somewhere it had (+12V) near some connectors. I can't read Kanji, so I tried to take better pics. With limited success. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-484.jpg2050-12-31 23.59.59-485.jpg I don't think any of translates to VA.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Transformer help for new import

I’m no electrical expert; but I do have the same pachinko (they all take same type 24v transformer) You can either buy a single one; or acquire a big boy transformer like the parlors use that’s powerful enough for multiple machines like the one I’ve also got. That way you simply plug in the power cord on the machine directly to the transformer, super easy and convenient rather than wiring up your own. Main difference is the big transformer is higher amperage rating vs 4 amp for the single machine; you can run just 1 on the big 15 amp transformer, or run several machines. Maybe someone with better electrical knowledge will step in and clarify. The pachinko will come with a normal plug; so you’ll have to splice into the power cord and solder it to the new little transformer if going that route. I’ve never actually done it before since I’ve got a big parlor transformer.

Little one is 12v-0v-12v 117v 60 htz 4amp (I believe you add the 12v and 12v to get 24v output total??)

The big Kirin brand one is 100v input, 24v output. See pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 01-03-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also not an electrical expert, but I don’t use the 100v that come with the machines (as I’m also in the US) regardless of amps.

Utility companies are going to a send your house +/- 5v of 120v. That means the second you plug the transformer in, it’s already overpowered to some degree. It’d be just my luck to burn down the house over Pachinko..

I buy the 375v to 24v transformers. This has the opposite problem. Higher rated and using under capacity is ok. I believe they’re rated at 15amps and will handle 2-3 really modern machines. I use molex ends to make it look professional, but not required. Caps and tape are fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You need a transformer that converts USA voltage 115 to 24V . pachinkos run on 24V power NOT USA, or Japanese for that matter, wall voltage BUT don't get a oil burner or HVAC transformer you'll see plenty of those online but they are all low AMP's you'll need at least a 5AMP one better would be 7 or 8 AMP as it'll run a little cooler. The company powervolt makes them here in the USA but they usually don't have any in stock, check ebay and you can probably find it there "pachinko transformer" or similar google search.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you all for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. I have a good idea of what I am looking for for a single machine splice in transformer now. Any tutorials on how to do the attaching?

The machine hasn't come in yet, so I'm not in a big rush.

Having said that, I'd much prefer the idea that lotsoballs suggested of having a plugin "big boy" transformer that doesn't require me to do any splicing and can handle multiple machines. I'm not concerned by the size (or presumably price since it can handle multiple machines and save me some work/risk). I searched for about an hour, and found zero 115-120 vac to 24 vac that would work for this. Anyone have a link to one that would work or help in keywords for searching? I'm a bit out of my element here.

Thanks again for the help everyone

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1. I doubt they sell a similar “big boy” parlor transformer domestically (could be wrong), Compirate gave it to me, and he imported it long ago. I’m not sure how to search yahoo japan for that though; I’m sure they come up time to time though! I forgot to mention that thing must weigh 40+ lbs haha so shipping would be killer! I guess I just lucked out! On second thought, you might just want to ask Frank over at Clover Collectables if they have an extra transfomer they might sell you and a Daverob dongle which are absolutely essential in my humble opinion to dispense extra balls. 👍

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a link to a 4A one, same website has a 10A version.

https://www.mpja.com/24V-4A-Center-T...info/27845+TR/

18. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Pachiela View Post
    Thank you all for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. I have a good idea of what I am looking for for a single machine splice in transformer now. Any tutorials on how to do the attaching?

Having said that, I'd much prefer the idea that lotsoballs suggested of having a plugin "big boy" transformer that doesn't require me to do any splicing and can handle multiple machines.
    Some sort of splicing will likely be necessary. I expect different brands to have different types of plug in. That being said...even though I own this model, I don't know what the plug is like. When I got it, the male portion of the plug wasn't there and the previous owner did some wierd crimp the wires and goop it up with silicone. The female part of the socket was damaged. I rmoved the circuit board, unsoldered the pins, then broke off the damaged plastic part of the socket. Then I soldered wires directly to the circuit board. They are the 2 red wires above the round part. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-482.jpg I expect yours will have a socket with a matching plug that has a pigtail on it. Simply attach the 2 output wires to the pigtail...AC current, so it don't matter which way you attch them. Then splice a lamp cord to the input of the transformer. You can twist and tape...or better yet, solder and shrink tube.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Here is a link to a 4A one, same website has a 10A version.

https://www.mpja.com/24V-4A-Center-T...info/27845+TR/
    On this transformer, attach each blue wire to the pigtail of your new machine, and tape off the yellow wire.
    My transformer is 5 amps, and works great, 4 amps is probably fine...but I can't find any specs on my machine to confirm. 10 amps is way more than needed, but won't hurt anything.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 01-09-2019 at 06:18 PM.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for my delays on replying. Ever since the server update I've been having a lot of trouble getting the site to load. It happens to be loading on my phone currently.

To use the big boy Japanese transformers, do you just use a 120 to 100 volt transformer then you plug the 100v side of the big boy transformer into it?

Would one of these work connected to a 120 to 100V transformer on one end and the machine on the other? https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u245748479 Plug 120v

As for the splicing kind, I'm thinking it will make more sense once I get the machine in and can see it myself. Should be here in a week or two.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well as a quick update, after all that the seller cancelled my frame order (yet did send me the key for the frame...). So, it ended up not mattering in this case, and I bought a machine from an awesome seller on here that I can exchange my Penguin cell into that already has the right transformer on it.

With that said, I'm still curious about the questions in my previous message for the next time it comes into play. Thanks again for the help everyone.