Thread: Baptism by smoke and fire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unhappy Baptism by smoke and fire

So ive only had my Daiichi Dororon Ninja-kun (1996) for a couple of weeks. In that time ive stripped it down and cleaned all the ball runs etc while waiting for a power supply to arrive.
    DSC_0032.jpgDSC_0031.jpg
    So today I wired up the transformer (24vac at 5amp) and to my amazement it all sprung to life. The screen came on, balls were ejected into the collection hopper and the yellow daiichi logo lit up, im guessing indicating it was expecting more balls?
    IMG_20150602_171712238.jpgIMG_20150602_171656310_HDR.jpg
    However, after a few minutes, a loud pop and whisp of smoke was emmited from the IC that sits above the award balls dispenser.
    I switched it off and a closer inspection showed that an 8pin chip labelled Sharp TR3M03A 9543 which appears to be a DIP8 voltage amplifier. shown next to the white connector had fried.
    DSC_0034.jpgDSC_0033.jpg
    Wanting to give the cpu a chance to boot up I repowered the unit, the ball feed continued to whir, screen lit up again, and everything was fine for another minute or so until the screen shutdown and the LED segment display above displayed 'F'. While I mused over the back of the unit it emitted a siren sound, assuming I had disloged some anti tamper switch I was not overly concerned until about 10 seconds later when a BIG pop and lots of smoke from a cap on the main board brought a halt to my excitement.
    DSC_0035.jpgDSC_0037.jpg

Does anyone know what could have caused this? as far as I know it has sat for a number of years in storage. So far ive identified the two components above that have failed and another suspect capacitor. Im no electronics expert and wonder whether Im on an expensive journey which will end up with replacing component after component and stretching my ability and patience?

Ive also not worked out what this switch, or a number of other small boards/connnectors do yet.
    DSC_0038.jpg
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by pin; 06-02-2015 at 04:03 PM.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Baptism by smoke and fire

I guess the switch would be for the volume at a wild guess. Most modern pachis have their wiring split on to seperate boards, One for the shooter, one for the cr dongle, one for the payout assembly, One to connect to the parlour system/data counter. Then main power supply, The cel boards, with all the sensor inputs plugged in.

It is also worth checking the output of your transformer. I've had problems in the past with transformers not putting out the volaage they say especially when its right on the limit of what the machine says. You have a 100va transformer and the machine is rated at 100va. I tried a 150va transformer on Cutie Honey once (rated at 140va) and the screen kept cutting out. On measuring the actual voltage, it was reading about 19v when the machine was switched on and 24v when off. Needless to say, a different transformer worked fine.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks DC. I was amazed it draws that much current! sourcing transformers at reasonable cost is not easy - I paid £30 for this one. I may be generating a little low as my supply is around 229vac so the transformer output is probably a little low too. Im sitting on the fence at the moment as to whether its worth fixing what is currently fried on this, and hope nothing more is faulty, or breaking it for parts and hopefuly raising enough to get an all mechanical classic pachi which is what I was after in the first place?

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I always try to get the next size up and if possible a toroidal one.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toroid...rmers/2575073/
    Ian #UKPachinko