Thread: What would this thing be worth?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What would this thing be worth?

Got a lady trying to sell me a vintage machine. She says it is working just needs the electrical hooked up. I like the maple leaf ladybug background and the center features but she doesn`t want to come off of the $80.00 price range. I have been spending about $0.00 to $40.00 for vintages lately but might have been just getting really good deals. Who knows... Here is a picture and just let me know what you guys think?

Pachinko1.jpg
    Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What would this thing be worth?

$80 is too high. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $30. But $50 is a fair price and would be the very highest I'd go. Otherwise I'd say walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What would this thing be worth?

Yep that is what I originally offered for the machine before she came back with the $80.00 price. I thought that was a bit high myself.
    Biohazard
    Enter the Matrix, Star Wars, Eva 6, Gladiator Evolution, Spiderman 3, Superman Returns, Planet of the Apes, The Mask, Indiana Jones.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i can see why she is asking 80... but i have enought machines that 50 sounds allot better
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The real question is how much YOU would pay for the machine.

I live in South Florida. Finding pachinko machines that are clean and good working order is not easy. There are not a lot around here, and there is not a huge market.

When I got my first Vintage, I had no desire to restore the machine, I wanted one I could get up and play with as little effort as possible. As a result, I paid 100 bucks for a 78 Sankyo. I liked it because the playfield was in immaculate condition (minus surface dust) and the only thing missing from it was the wiring. I got that unit up and looking good with almost no outlay of time and money.

My second vintage is a Model A that needed work, I spent about $50.00 for it. It was missing parts, and needed a background replacement. I've probably put over 30 hours into that machine and over 150.00 in parts and tools. I love it though. I got the "bug" for restoring machines. It looks every bit as good as it's younger Sankyo and since it is an "A" model recycler, I thought it was worth the time and effort.

My third machine is a front overflow Model A that I paid just over $32.00 for, but am taking a bath in shipping and handling. It will need glass as a minimum and now that I have the bug, a background replacement is a given.

But, it is a 1970 front overflow and I haven't seen one here in Florida for months.

So, for me $80.00 for a fairly low maintenance clean machine is a no-brainer.

Max on the other hand, lives in So. Cal, and machines practically fall from the sky there. He can afford to be more discriminating in how much he would spend. When you have over 100 machines and counting, it takes a little more to impress you.

The point being: How big is the market where you live? Can you find vintage machines fairly easily? If so? what is their condition? If a clean vintage is a rarity in your area, then 80.00 is not bad. Especially considering that shipping alone is gonna run you almost that much.

However, if vintage machines show up on a regular basis, in similarly good condition, then you can afford to be more discriminating in your tastes and more picky.

Let's put it into perspective. I spent over a "Benjamin" to see Star Trek with my kids in Imax 3d and on dinner afterwards. 1 meal, 2.5 hours of entertainment.

I will end up spending about that much on my third machine when shipping is taken into effect. It will provide me with another 20 to 40 hours of pleasure restoring it to it's former glory, and at least that many hours more playing it.

So really you are talking about 30 bucks that you and the seller are apart. I'm sure a dinner out costs you that much. Is the machine worth giving up an extra dinner out? How much entertainment will that machine provide you? Let's put it at the low end of 40 hours. That's 2 bucks an hour. Not a bad return on your entertainment dollar.
    Last edited by p.opus; 05-20-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

8. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't have anything useful to add to this thread, I just liked that the machine looks to have the same center feature as this skateboard..
    $T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPdqBRmTl,Y1Sg~~60_57.jpg

I guess I could add that if there was a vintage that I really wanted that I wasn't likely to see again I wouldn't have a problem spending $100 or more on it.. Its not like I'm trying to make money on my pachi purchases or anything..so if you have the money and really want it I'd say go for it!!

But if its just a pachi you want and not a specific pachi..and you live somewhere where you have a choice of pachis then yeah..wait until a $50 one comes along..
    Last edited by MrGneiss; 05-21-2013 at 05:19 AM.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah I am just building a collection of vintages to go with my moderns I have. I don`t actually have a strong want for this machine other that it would add to the growing number of machines I have. I have about 12 vintage project machines right now I need to work on and 5 that have been restored. I just get pachi-happy sometimes and get the thrill to buy and aquire vs actually needing to get another one to find a place for. I guess the best solution is that if it is not one that I particularly want then I need to keep the cost down on the ones that I just adopt to bring home.
    Biohazard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I live about 130 miles out of Houston, and it's pretty much a pachinko desert here.

I suspect it's a little better there, but not a lot.

I agree that $80 is a bit much, but if it was in REALLY good condition and I REALLY liked it and REALLY wanted it, I'd go the $80. But since you sound luke warm on the machine and have plenty of other projects to do, make sure she has your phone number and tell her if she changes her mind, let you know. That gives someone else a shot at the machine, her a shot at getting her $80, and you a shot at getting the machine for $50 if she sits on it long enough.

My 2 cents.

Bill
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

13. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Bill, you have one close to you! Of course unless you are the one selling it ? This one has been on the selling block for some time on craigslist and ebay. Looks like a cool game and with a custom cabinet it is worth the money.

rescue dog.jpg

Japanese Pachinko machine

And your right, I have searched your area before and it is really dry around there as far as Pachinko`s go. Moderns are pretty dry in Houston but vintages come around quite often.
    Biohazard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

110 is a good deal for a modern with a cabinet and a bunch of balls. $50 is about what the vintage one is worth tops. You have to remember they were sold at k-mart, sears, jc penny, in the 70s and early 80s for about $75.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by awassig View Post
    Hey Bill, you have one close to you! Of course unless you are the one selling it ?
    Nope, not me. Yea, I've seen this one around for awhile, but I'm not really into the moderns. Damned, but I'm old school! Besides, I only have room for 1 machine and I already have 2.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.