Thread: Who Makes the Best Machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Who Makes the Best Machine?

A recent addition to the vintage collection has me wondering how everyone else would rank the various manufacturers in terms of quality and workmanship. Granted, my experience is limited only to the machines that I have, but I would clearly rate them in the following order (best to worst): 1. Sankyo 2. Nishijin 3. Daido.

The Sankyo and Nishijin are actually pretty similar, but the Daido has a lot of cheap components, which may indicate that it is a little newer machine. Anyway I'm curious to hear everyone's experience/opinion.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Who Makes the Best Machine?

I have not had very many vintage machines to base this on, however so far I would have to say I have been most impressed in terms of quality by Mizuho.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

CS, Have you owned or worked with a Nishijin? I'm curious how they compare to the Mizuho that you like. Nishijins seem to be everywhere, so I guess they were the largest manufacturer of vintage machines...just my feeling.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nishijin does seem to be the most plentiful machine I have seen. My only experience with one was helping out out friend with his a few months ago. Seemed like a well made machine to me.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mizuho's are easiest to work on. The whole back piece comes off with 6 turning levers. Maruhon is almost as easy and comes off with screw on hand turn knobs. Also, both Mizuho and Maruhon have some of the most colorful cells of them all.
    Mizuho
    Mizuho full front.jpgMizuho rear full.jpgMiami Mizuho front.jpg

Maruhon
    2a.jpg2d.jpgMaruhon Soldier.jpglittle general rear.jpg
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it would be hard for us to make a list of best to worst.. every one has there own opinion..

I have to agree that Mizuho machines are perty high on my fav list.. and Comet II machines are at the bottom of my list.. but the best Machine is the next one

My favorite would probably be Nishijin... they seem to be the first to put power to vintage machines (IE power flash, circuit racer, power roulette, etc etc)
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good feedback everyone. I'll keep this information in mind when I'm looking for my "next" machine. I must admit, those Mizuho and Marujun machines are quite nice looking, and colorful. I especially like the looks of the Marujun with the blue & pink face!

Based on some of the responses I'm detecting that there is probably a fine line between a machine's "quality", and a machine's
    "likability factor"...as Mopar said, everyone has their opinion. I am still amazed at how big of a quality drop there is between the Daido and the others (Sankyo & Nishijin). That is why I started this thread in the first place...curious to know who made the Cadillac of pachinko machines, and who made the Chevrolet Citations (no offense to you Citation lovers out there, but yuck!).

11. The following user says "Thanks" to thefly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Like mopar said. It would be hard to do. For course you do have mizuho that people said but you also have to remember that Mizuho didn't always have the quick remove backs. So there for I would not call them the best off hand. Though I would say they are probably the best if you want time period of 75-78. But if you want from like 65-78, I would probably say Nishijin as they were the easiest to tear apart and work on. Sankyo's are nice but I personally don't like how everything is built slightly smaller in size.

I will argee with mopar in saying that the Sanyo CometII is the worst. They were never built right in the first place.

100 machines and counting...

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

a comet II machine is great when they work.. but they always seem to need a bit more fiddling to get them to work..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The bulk of my experience has been with Nishijins...therefore, I am partial to them. I had a Sanyo and was not impressed, and I also had a Sankyo and hated it. The components of the machine just seemed to be of cheaper quality than the Nishijins. JMHO.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a Comet one once - had to put fishing weights on the payout mech to get it to reset each time. You could say it was a little too well balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post

I will argee with mopar in saying that the Sanyo CometII is the worst. They were never built right in the first place.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

18. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Naha13, from your Vintage Pachinko Machine exploits, do you have any spare parts to the Maruhon you've got pictured? I've got a similar machine, but my top red ball return tray in front is damaged and I'm looking for a new one. Have you come across any Maruhon manuals or documentation? I've had very limited success finding any details on my Maruhon Super Deluxe machine, although I like the coloring and would like to get it to a restored state. I understand the tracks and mechanisms on back of mine are a "Model C", and it was built in 1978, I believe. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They are not as plentiful as the Nishijins, that's for sure. I had to get a ball track cover made for mine - it was different from anything else I've seen. I'll check my parts bin when I get home, but don't get your hopes up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Who Makes the Best Machine?

I can answer this question!

This machine clearly reads "more best" and is the winner!

GINZA More Best.jpg GINZA Front.jpg

The easiest vintage to work on, IMHO, is the purple New Gin. Has the least amount of parts and is easy to take apart and clean.

DSC01471.jpg
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW...that New Gin looks sweet! Like that pivoting parts for easy cleaning!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Liked the electrical wiring details and the electrical terminal design on this machine too!

Remembered now that it has a micro switch for the low reward tray, not too unusual.

The other difference I thought was cool was in the jackpot switch area. It has a leaf switch like almost all other vintages BUT has EXTRA mounting posts that are sized, positioned and spaced perfectly for a standard, long lever, micro switch. No holes to drill!

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I checked my "stash", and sorry, no Mizuho parts. The shooter tray I was thinking of is from a Sanyo. Let me know if you ever head down to the old pueblo(Tucson).

Quote Originally Posted by kcranda View Post
    Naha13, from your Vintage Pachinko Machine exploits, do you have any spare parts to the Maruhon you've got pictured? I've got a similar machine, but my top red ball return tray in front is damaged and I'm looking for a new one. Have you come across any Maruhon manuals or documentation? I've had very limited success finding any details on my Maruhon Super Deluxe machine, although I like the coloring and would like to get it to a restored state. I understand the tracks and mechanisms on back of mine are a "Model C", and it was built in 1978, I believe. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!