Thread: Questions on Sammy Popeye shooter module

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Questions on Sammy Popeye shooter module

People- now I have preformed some minor surgery on my Popeye, looking for bad/ stuck microswitchs, etc. I have extracted the shooter unit, which was mounted behind the input power circuit board. Having done so, I find that the striker that pivots to propel the balls , has no resistance at all, just flops back and forth between its rubber stops quite easily. is that normal, or has my shooting module gone bad ? if it is worn out, is there any way to repair it, or does someone have Sammy parts avaialble? There is a rotary adjustment switch, highlighted by the yellow paint that is daubed on the operating parts of this machine, but rotating it had no effect. it appears to have a motor that will dismount from the circuit board with three screws and a two wire connector. Can send photos if needed. Thanks Ron

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Questions on Sammy Popeye shooter module

Sounds like pictures would be a big help.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

FINALLY!!! got photos and info on this board/motor up. This mounts under the power supply board on the sammy popeye. The one photo shows it in place, the other two show it out on the table. The motor has a data sticker that says Tamagawa Seiki TS3656. The board sticker says Mashiro Research & Development TS3656N8 06-04 TSC. If anyone has any info or a similar board/motor for sale, please let me know. Trying to get this machine up and running. Anyone know how to test this motor, etc, please let me know. Thank You, RonBall shooter boardmotor.JPGhidden under power supply.JPGshooter arm and bumpers.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DD, did the machine ever work?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DrDark- After i repaired the power supply plug in to the circuit board the machine lights up , lights cycle, the lcd cycles , a moving ball push above a "jackpot' drop moves. Seems like it is in standby/attraction mode. if i open the front door and manully drop balls into the jackpot holes, it plays music, runs different sequences on the lcd etc. I have never been able to get the ball shooter to activate. Another member loaned me a known working dongle in case that was it, but still no joy with the shooter. Shooter makes no attempt to do anything when balls are in the front tray and the rear feed trays are filled with balls. makes no diff how you hold the shooter knob. My troubleshooting this unit is now stuck at is the shooter board/motor ok? Thanks, Ron

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

My Heiwa has the same style shooter and when it's off, the brass hammer is loose and floppy. Might be a good idea if you can check for voltage at the dongle, shooter handle and motor. Also check any fuses. Not just by look, but test them. Also check the little push button on the shooter handle isn't stuck.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Drunken clam- thanks for the info! would you have any idea on what voltages should be present at what points, and if ac or dc? I appreciate all the help, really hope to get this up and running. At least it would seem the shooter motor is not automatically bad from the description of your shooter. I have been web searching on the manufactuer, did find enough (in english)to figure out that the company has a patent on a motor winding to cause a motor to cycle, maybe this is one of those.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My money is still on a bad dongle!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Test to make sure you have 24vac from the dongle, Most newer machines have a fuse on or near the cr card
    Pachinko Pre-paid Card and Card Reader Unit History and Technical Information by Pinball Dave

Test pins 1 and 24 to ground to make sure you have voltage
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DrDark n Drunkenclam- Thanks for the support and info. Re the bad dongle, CarlW loaned me a known working dongle, but I am still working thru this and will trying everything suggested again! Thanks for the link to dongle info from Pinball Dave- i had run across that eariler and then was not able to get it back up for some reason, will definenly will put it to good use, now it is bookmarked!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Test pins 1 and 24 to ground to make sure you have voltage
    You won't get any consistent readings between these pins and ground, as they are AC, and the ground point on a pachinko is on the DC side.

To test that the dongle is getting it's proper voltages with a meter, first set the meter to AC voltage, place the meter probes on pins 1 and 24 and check for approximately 24 volts AC. If this voltage is not present, then you most likely have a blown fuse. This will be a 5x20mm 'slow blow' or 'antisurge' fuse rated at 1A. The location of this fuse varies, it can be near the dongle connector, or near the power supply board on the pachinko. (I would check on my Sammy 'Moujyou'/Lion King machine, but it's in storage under about a dozen other pachinkos at the moment).

If the dongle is uncased (or if you remove the case), you can also check that the dongle is generating the correct DC voltage to enable the shooter handle. With the dongle plugged in you can test for something between 12v and 20v DC between either pin 8 or pin 9 (black lead of meter) and pin 17 or pin 18 (red lead). The exact voltage is not critical (except on Sanyo machines where it must be at least 14v).

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

You might want to get a magnifying glass and check the pins on both the male connectors on the power supply board to the shooter board . One or more might be bent causing not to work . I set up my Sammy Popeye pachinko and its the same model as yours and try to make the shooter hammer not to work and the only time it did not work is when I disconnected it from the power supply board in front of it while looking at the back of the machine . Maybe one of the fuses are blown on yours disconnect power to the machine and pull the fuses and check to see if one is blown .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My mistake, I couldn't work out which were the 2 opposite sides to measure. So if in doubt. Go to ground. A fluctuating reading is better than no reading (We are all doomed )
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Popeye Lives!! Still have some issues but it is shooting and operating. Need more balls!! I still dont know why it would not function, but after I messed with the moter and adjusted the shaft to shooter arm mounting in 1/4 turn increments it started to function. Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions, i ll close this thread out.
    Last edited by dirtydawg; 03-07-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost