Thread: 1974 Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1974 Pachinko

Hey guys,

Im new here and recently picked up a pachinko at a garage sale for 25$... Im curious if this was a good deal or not. Everything seems to work as far as the mechanical aspects of it. I haven't tried the lights as I really have no clue how to turn them on or anything. Ive read a bit and i found out it was 1974 because of the date on the sticker 50-6. If anyone could tell me a little bit about what i have it would be much appreciated If you guys would like more info about it i can also give you guys that... i just dont know much about these as im only 19 and this is the first one i have ever seen before.

Thanks!!

IMAG0264.jpg

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2im9rae.jpg - Bigger Picture

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CZOG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1974 Pachinko

Welcome to PachiTalk! In my personal opinion, you got a great deal! I would have paid the same for it. Here is a link to a member's website that has some pretty good information about value of your machine: http://vintagepachinko.wordpress.com...machine-worth/

Oddly enough, there is one exactly like it for sale on craigslist for much more than you paid, so I think you did good.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/2649823991.html

Just kidding. I wish you luck with the sale.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi CZOG!
    ------------>WELCOME<-------------

Yes, I'd say you got a great deal for a complete and working Pachinko! Especially with the stand and cabinet!
    Sweet!
    Last edited by SteveFury; 10-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Welcome to PachiTalk! In my personal opinion, you got a great deal! I would have paid the same for it. Here is a link to a member's website that has some pretty good information about value of your machine: http://vintagepachinko.wordpress.com...machine-worth/Oddly enough, there is one exactly like it for sale on craigslist for much more than you paid, so I think you did good. http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/2649823991.htmlJust kidding. I wish you luck with the sale. Jeff
    Do you think that what I posted it at was a fair price?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hi steve!

Ok cool... so i got a good deal. Thanks guys!

As i said im a 19 yr old kid... but im also in college and playing baseball. The only time i really have to make money is a couple hours on the weekends i go to garage sales and try to buy and sell items. This is only my second time doing it so if any of you could help me figure out a good price to sell this at or how to make the machine look better it would be much appreciated

The chrome has a little bit of rust and i was told that steel wool would be a good cheap way to clean it up a bit as it costs upwards of $1000 to get it re chromed... what are your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

its not worth it to rechrome.. vintage machines are just to common to spen that kind of money on unless its super personal to ya..

take a look at this for some help

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html

looks as though some of your cabinet is missing and it may have been modified a bit.. but a neat looking piece..

please post a few bics of the back side please
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CZOG View Post
    The chrome has a little bit of rust and i was told that steel wool would be a good cheap way to clean it up a bit as it costs upwards of $1000 to get it re chromed... what are your guys thoughts on this?
    Don't use the steel wool it will make it worse because it will scratch the chrome that is still somewhat shiny. Also who told you that chrome cost around $1000? That is insane! It was $250 for a frame on one of my machines. (not really worth doing unless you plan on keeping the machine because it kinda kills all value. Because it costs more to do a frame than what a whole machine is worth.) If I were you I'd either leave it or try to find a nice looking chrome paint.

Also to pachitalk.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use #000 steel wool on the frames of my machines all the time and it sines them up nicely. Make sure you use #000 or finer, otherwise you can end up with fine scratches.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried a few with steel wool, even 000, its still tended to cause scratches. SOS pads seem to do the best for me, the soap they impregnate it with seems to allow just the right amount lubrication to keep it from scratching. Rub lightly and keep it wet throughout, and then dry and polish with turtle wax chrome cleaner. Try some used dryer sheets for the final polishing.

As for the price of chroming, what most people fail to consider is that the majority of the cost is the preparation of the metal for the chroming process. If you have a frame that is simply discolored, or has some minor flaws, the price for rechroming from the places I have checked will run between $250 and $300. Deep pitting restoration can cost upwards of $500, and if you need silver solder restoration for filling badly rusted parts it can quickly run you up to $1000. Additionally, the front loading tray is usually in ther same shape as the frame, so add that to your total. Keep in mind, most frames made from the mid 60's will need to be disassembled to their component pieces, and they were never intended to be disassembled. Sometimes cutting and resoldering is required. It can get ugly and pricy really fast if you justr drop off a frame and say "I would like this to look like new please".

If anyone has information on rechroming services that are reliable and can undercut the prices I stated, please post them up so that we can all benefit.

By the way, that machine looks to me like a 1973. It may have been placed into a parlor late, hence the later tag.
    Last edited by Rival; 10-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The chrome on my machine is pitted pretty badly (But not rusty) and looked terrible when I first got it. I removed the chrome pieces and everything attached to them and spent some time rubbing and rubbing and rubbing with Brasso and they turned out pretty good. It looks a whole lot better now and has a nice reflective shine. The defective chrome isn't very noticeable in lower light.

BTW don't use any spray cleaner on your playfield.