Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Appreciate Pachitalk.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Appreciate Pachitalk.

The roof with the problem and the rubber roof I mentioned of my own are two separate roofs. Rubber was mentioned so I used my porch roof as an example of one of the drawbacks to it.
    No I can't block there access to the porch. There needs to be two ways into and out of the appt.
    The tin roofs of this style are made to be walked on when. Actually they are vary durable. They can last more than a 100 years if maintained properly. As far as being slippery yes, they can get a little slick if wet but there is usually more friction there than on something like rubber when it gets wet. It also depends on the paint you put on them. Put a high gloss paint and well you might as well be making an ice rink.
    This roof does have living space under it and the rest of the tin is in good shape. With the knee high wall built it and the tin rapped up and under it it is better to save the metal. Also this house is a land mark. To keep it as original as possible is in the best interests of the owners and the property.
    As far as using the bed liner is the vary reason they scoffed at me in the other forum. When I started asking around on what to use to repair smaller holes bondo was suggested. I knew it does not do well when flexed. So I called an auto body guy I did work for just to make sure wan't a good idea. He then suggested a sealant that is used on windshields to seal holes. Then spray on a commercial bed liner. This is really a great idea. It will cover the sealant, coat all the surface and seams with a watertight membrane. It also has a texture to it. You can vary the texture from light to heavy. It's made to take the expansion and contraction of metal under hot and cold conditions, needs to be tough and slip resistant. You can still see the details of a metal tin roof underneath and depending on the bed liner can be painted.
    The problem is the moron that did not use there brains and look down the line as to how well the patch was going to hold up. The same old, same old. Just do it good enough to get paid, the rest is someone else's problem. It's thin tin over the slight ridges of the seams in the old tin underneath. As you walk on the area of the patch you crease the tin over the old seam and it wears through. The holes from this are ether to big, to many or are starting to ware though in different spots.
    My problem is I don't know how they sealed this patch. I can only see part of how they sealed it without taking up the patch. The patch can't be taken off without being able to do the repair. There is living quarters underneath. The patch may be the problem but is also the only thing from a water fall underneath.
    I hope this clarifies some things.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmmmm can you pach it with a peace of tin or ally welded in to place be careful if you havent welded tin or ally befor as it isnt easy practice on a peace that is not attached ot the roof befor doing it for real key is high current and fast pasess to buld up the beed then spread the bead (using mig and tig gas or turbo will do the job ) just an idea ???
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

lazarus,if the windshield sealant you were talking about is actually the urethane adhesive used to install windshields,that would probably work for sealing small holes.when it cures,it has about the same consistency as tire rubber.and it has a lap shear strength of something like 750 psi.very tough stuff.if you wanted something a little bit more flexible,automotive seam sealers could work too.as far as the truck bed liner,i have never heard of it being used on a roof,but it just might work.that stuff takes a lot of abuse in construction trucks,and holds up very well. if you use it, see if the dealer has samples of the sprayed product.some of that bedliner can be a little slippery when wet.others seem to have a more gritty surface,and are not slippery.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Laz you know me... I work in an operating room and construction isn't my thing. But that is where I started off. It really does sound like the reason it gives is because the plywood/wood below it is rotted. If that area is meant to be walked on, it is what is below the tin that allows you to do so. In which case, the only solution is to pull the whole thing up and replace everything.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I'll up to trying different things to accomplish something but I will have to pass on the welding idea. That layer of tar under the original tin will not do to well with a welder.
    Window weld is all he called it for the sealant.
    Well I want to do this right but the owner now said I am to patch as best I can and paint it. They will worry about it later. Just makes more work for me. I have to clean up the metal just as good to put some temporary paint on it as I would to apply the correct primer for the liner. Then worry if the two will bond correctly later. It's not like I couldn't do a half assed repair. I mean screw down some tin and caulk the sh**t out of it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you replace a piece of tin,use the windshield urethane as a caulk.that would be far more durable than regular caulk.if i remember right,windo weld is 3m's trademark for their urethane,so i think we are talking about the same stuff.it comes in the same type of tube,and you can apply it with a caulk gun.it is very heavy bodied,so your hand will get tired from gunning it out.wear some gloves,that stuff is hard to get off of your skin.if you paint the tin,maybe try that non slip floor paint with the sand in it.don't worry about the owner not taking your advice and doing it right the first time,and making more work for you.i have worked for people like that before,and i even work for one right now,and all i do is laugh because they paid me by the hour,it cost them to do it twice,and i got paid both times.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One quick last bit of advice. I have received help from the Building Commissioner in the past to keep me on the right track. It is a safe bet that he will know the best course to take.
    Life
    It's what happens

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well John I guess it depends on what you mean by "help". You kind of have to know who your dealing with. If not it's like invoking the powers that be. Ask your wife to help you with something. Everything can go peachy, on the other hand. Now this does work both ways, sometimes, maybe.
    That didn't help did it? I'm still going to get it from the Lovely Lady's.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

your heart was in the right place

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the problem with building commissioners ,or building inspectors as we call them here,is that they would be more than happy to give you some "advice",but they would probably say you need to replace the entire tin,and possibly the decking and rafters to bring everything up to current code.there is no such thing as an inexpensive repair with them.not to mention you would also have to probably take out a building permit,which will require you to pay them a fee,plus having to put up with their inspections.it would be best to not get involved with them for this kind of repair.but if you were building a new house or doing a major remodel,then yes.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah I see your point guys. Our building commisioners here are pretty cool. It is a small community and they don't mind helping out. Usually just a phone call is enough, they are not too eager to leave their office.
    Life
    It's what happens

14. The following user says "Thanks" to johntofva

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2