Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

That looks sooooo cool! You will have a truly 'modern' vintage that will be just incredible! It already looks great.

It would be really cool if you could have a sequence for the jack post (such as Mopar) suggested, but then have a 'target' sequence for when a ball enters the center circular jackpot. Have the lights sequence from the outer 'ring of lights' towards the center. The circular pocket would make for the perfect 'center piece' of the light display.

Of course, I guess this all depends upon your electronic capabilities. But any flashing you get going will be awesome cool!
    Rusty Key

2. The following user says "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ShockSystem View Post
    >>> Sorry if I went over everyone's head - I was just very exited. I will post better explanations and the images of the final schematics and boards.

You have given great explanations, don't think you haven't. I learn best by watching and testing. After watching you I'll start testing (playing) any ideas I might have.

If you try to explain it down to my level you would sound like a kindergarden teacher.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by digital1 View Post
    You have given great explanations, don't think you haven't. I learn best by watching and testing. After watching you I'll start testing (playing) any ideas I might have.

If you try to explain it down to my level you would sound like a kindergarden teacher.
    Ha, ha, ha... I'm sure you could do this with no problem. You did make me think of how to present everything though. I will post two categories;

Basic - How to wire pre-made flashing leds with a resistor to add to 9v systems, and maybe some simple control circuits like switches to easily add a little spice to a playfield. Projects easily done with wire and a soldering iron.

Advanced - specialty designed circuits and controllers using off the shelf IC's from easy sources for more advanced effects like chasers (think Knight Rider / KITT or the Cylons) and flashers (like on modern police cars) you see on modern slot machine marquees, or when an event happens like a win or a opening tulip, patterns change.

Now for today's class...

Just kidding, thank you,

- Shock
    Last edited by ShockSystem; 03-23-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Uhh, uhh, I don't know.... the pressure! Ahhh!

6. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Basic - How to wire pre-made flashing leds with a resistor to add to 9v systems, and maybe some simple control circuits like switches to easily add a little spice to a playfield. Projects easily done with wire and a soldering iron.
    nice and understandable

Advanced - specialty designed circuits and controllers using off the shelf IC's from easy sources for more advanced effects like chasers (think Knight Rider / KITT or the Cylons) and flashers (like on modern police cars) you see on modern slot machine marquees, or when an event happens like a win or a opening tulip, patterns change.
    will probably be to technical for me

Now for today's class...

things are going to get interesting!!!

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

lesson one

don't touch any bare wires
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

10. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Now for today's class...

Just kidding, thank you,

- Shock
    Hey that's not funny. I was getting out my paper and pen to start taking notes.

There is so much info in this thread alone you might want to do a separate thread for each class (for lack of a better word).

Keep up the great work.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to chmer01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello all,

I found some small brass brads to replace those that hold the game features in place - just in case I loose some in the tumbler cleaning process. I also found some small steel nails to experiment with bending at a 90 degree angle to replace the ball track anchors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by chmer01 View Post
    Hey that's not funny. I was getting out my paper and pen to start taking notes.

There is so much info in this thread alone you might want to do a separate thread for each class (for lack of a better word).

Keep up the great work.
    You are absolutely right, and I'm right there with ya!
    I'm cooking up some pictures and a outline to post on a modification thread for 9 / 12 volt electronics. I will list specific instructions, materials lists and vendors to create fun effects, that way everyone has an easy to follow, straight forward, step by step process for fun mods.

Right now, this is more of a documented learning process and experiment to find out what works, and more importantly, what (will make you pull out your hair) doesn't.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello all!

Yes! After much CLR and WD-40 the launcher finally came loose! So I quickly prepared a bath of CLR for the additional parts associated with the launcher mechanism and scrubbed them with a toothbrush.

>> Caution << - I left the parts submerged in CLR for an extended period and when removed they looked great... but after a few minutes exposed to air the finish tarnished to dull!? I'm not sure about that reaction but I was unsatisfied with the final result, so... Into the tumbler with everything!

This works out great for the finish and the parts are glorious in comparison with their original condition - better than expected!

In my race for power and glory however... I missed one small detail. I neglected to seal the bearings of the launcher handle with heavy wax or tape. Oops, the main bearing was fine. Two minutes to clean out, however, the launcher handle bearing to quite a while to get all the walnut shell grit out of. I am very pleased with the overall results.

18. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that has to be one naked machine...

verry nice project

way to much information

nicely done Shock

gona have to talk to sid about this
    Last edited by Moparformances; 04-04-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are the Spinners after a trip through the tumbler and cleaned with a dental pick. I sanded them lightly then coated them primer gray, then silver flake, then blue and purple metallic.

Here is the face of the machine minus the launcher hardware and some of the surface sanded for paint. The face has been prepped with cement and putty to fix the holes and dents left by the removal of the ball tracks.

22. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are the Spinners after a trip through the tumbler and cleaned with a dental pick. I sanded them lightly then coated them primer gray, then silver flake, then blue and purple metallic.

Here is the face of the machine minus the launcher hardware and some of the surface sanded for paint. The face has been prepped with cement and putty to fix the holes and dents left by the removal of the ball tracks.

Daddy Likes !!!
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

24. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here we are, a test fit of the main features and a retouched blue base coat on the machine trim. I am content with the color for the spinners - two purple and four blue.

The second image shows some pins in place so I can mark out a stripe of color to cut across the face and the chase light holes (10) on the ball launch ramp - and I think it's starting to look cool.

The third image shown some of the repaired damage (Shhhhh...) from drilling the three top LED holes. For some reason the surface started to crack and peel, disintegrating as I tried to sand it even... It's only like, forty years old or more. So... the solution was a little Super Glue Gel and model cement to fix and fill gaps - now sanded even with the original face and it's holding very well. this technique also worked well with tiny hairline cracks in he rest of the playfield surface.

26. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now we must drill the holes for the ball launch LED's (Blue) that follow the track up to the top of the playfield face - Spaced at 5cm apart. The playfield was then sanded and coated again.

28. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just promise me one thing:

When you get this bad boy done, create a video of it in action...I can't wait to see it fully functional...

Great job thus far...the creativity and kindness on this board is awsome...
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know Shock as cool as this one is starting to turn out you going to have to do one of the others in a Cowboy Bebop style.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

32. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to chmer01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wooooh!

The rest of the electronic parts that I ordered arrived. There is enough to complete ten machines with 6 to 10 effects each! I started working on the prototype electronic circuits - modifying, testing and tweaking the effects.

I have taken a few movies using my phone (my only digital movie camera) but... I'm having trouble converting the format into something usable for forum posting, so I'll solve that problem soon. As for now, I can post some stills and let everyone use those vivid imaginations! I promise to find a solution - because it's totally looking cool!

Mrs. ShockSystem did not mind me taking over the coffee table because she helped build a prototype fading flasher and flashy, shiny, blinky things are looking very, very cool.

Pic 1 - new shipment, Pic 2 - Prototype chaser 10 LED's in blue, Pic 3 - three circuits total, expanded prototype Chaser (right) complete with 10 blue and 10 purple in a circular pattern, with 4 center multicolor flashers (red, green, blue sequence lasting about 15 seconds). A alternating flasher (bottom) - white and green. Slow fade circuit (10 seconds fade in) - blue and purple. Pic 4, 5 and 6 - Activated, running on 9 volts!

34. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by chmer01 View Post
    I don't know Shock as cool as this one is starting to turn out you going to have to do one of the others in a Cowboy Bebop style.

I agree! This is the machine tagged for conversion to "Cowboy Bebop" - It was selected by Mrs. Shocksystem. I want to find some larger images of Spike, Fay, Jet, Ed and Ein to work with. I'm also "marking it up" for an LED effects map.

36. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent choice for the mod to Cowboy BeBop
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

38. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are the pictures of the centerpiece rebuild.

I'm using a piece of recycled vacu-form plastic packaging to cut and form a ring 7/16ths deep around the backside of the centerpiece to mount the 10 blue and 10 purple LED's. This will house the rotating chaser circuit shown in the last post. I will mount the LED's using an industrial hot glue gun.

40. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast