Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rovio for your home!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Rovio for your home!

This thread was really interesting to me, I showed it to a few folks at work and it sort of summed up a discussion we were having as I was looking at this.

The bigger theme of the discussion was if retailers were having sluggish sales because of "the economy" or was it because people are finally saying no to the prices being asked. For example, just a few years ago when sodas from a machine or at the register were 89cents I would do it but know that it was really close to the price of a two liter, but the convenience was worth it. Now, with it being 1.40 or more I just pass. A bottle of soda just isn't worth that much to me. I was in the store looking picking up some things today and took a run down the toy aisle for any neat gadgets. I saw some of the reproductions of the original transformers that were marked on sale. They wanted $70 for an optimus prime. While they might have grabbed me for around half that I simply refused to consider it at $70.

Is it possible that the slowing sales are due to more people thinking the same way? I don't mind spending money on quality items that give me some thing for my dollar. I have spent a fair amount on aircraft, cars etc. I didn't hesitate to top the 100k mark for my Acro biplane because of what it delivers for the money.

Which brings me back to the point of this topic. I like the idea of home robotics. I use a Roomba (secrets in the ball bearing mod for long service) I thought over the idea of this Rovio, the basic items it combines wireless lan module, webcam, etc. and figured all those items together would be about $100. Cheaper still in this unit because each component does not need individual housing, power supply, packaging, shipping etc. etc. so throw in a plastic base and were looking at an even $100. For the novelty factor and all I figured they would bump it up anotheR 25% or so. I was already working over it's value to me, at $100 it was a probable sale, $125 probably still and $150... maybe, maybe I would pass. So I take a look at Amazon and they want as much for it as the Xbox 360 I just bought my kid for Xmass that delivers allot more. I really like the idea of this Rovio but not at that price. They could have sold several to myself and the other guys at work tonight. We were all interested, average salary is in the six figures, and it is right up our lane as science minded gadget guys. But we all agreed that while it was a great gadget we would all like, it wasn't $300 worth of gadget. Are things like this behind the slow sales?

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Subarubrat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have to agree with you on this one..

I think people are asking for more for their money and are just not willing to buy high priced junk. Yes buy high priced quality stuff that gives value for money but not something that isnt worth what your paying for..

I think a good example (not quite but almost) is the whole PS3/Wii thing

sure the PS3 is a powerful kick ass gaming system but it costs an arm and a leg, came with now games unless you bought it as a package

then you got the wii, which came ready to go at a much lower price included a game.

i think its time for the people that sell/create this stuff to set some realistic prices for what they are offering.

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Rovio for your home!

you can pick this robot up if you have cash to burn

YouTube - CES 2008 - iRobi
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It helps moms to play with the kids? ahh... hmm... I would think that would be the best reason not to buy it. That is all we need, less interaction with the children.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My thoughts... my son wanted an Xbox 360 for his birthday (today), he had been asking for one for two years. We told him he would have to save for it and with birthday money, he was able to buy one. I love that Microsoft, in an effort to make their product affordable [ read "Get everyone's money], have 3 versions. Their basic model is $199. Some would scoff at this no-frills edition, but for someone like me that doesn't want or need the other things, it would be perfect. There is another that has a hard drive and some bells and whistles for $299 and yet another for serious gamers that sells for $399.

My son bought the middle edition... but I thought it was brilliant that it was presented with the 3 options. Others may not agree, but there are a LOT of people like me that are turned off by having to buy an item with a million bells and whistles for a high price, when a basic, but still fun item is all that is needed.

Of course, it was Adam's money... so I didn't really care which way he went!
    Last edited by dattia; 01-03-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Dawn

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

He will love it!!! 360 live is where it is!
    Life
    It's what happens

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so much for that staying on topic resolution eh Dawn...
    Jeff

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd say she was very much on topic, the practical and economic meaning of the webcam robot is as important as its function. What is a product without consumers and the comparison to something like an Xbox is valid.

What amuses me is the anger and willingness to sabotage your product when you don't buy into the ongoing expense. For example I bought and iPod because it really is a great product with more polish than the competition. But rather than using the iTunes I cut the strings to mother Apple and use third party software which allows me to use the device as I please, you know, the one I bought with no contract to use iTunes. They have written their updates to disable iPods that have been connected to non iTunes software.

Companies are asking more than what is fair and people are reacting finally. Economy my butt, we are tired of $1.60 for a soda.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Subarubrat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to the world of Apple where everything is done for you at a price of course and you better not dare stray from the path by having an idea of your own or we'll excommunicate you with the next upgrade .companies like these have to have total control or nothing like Electronic Arts and the Sims each new edition totally messes up 3rd party add ons deliberately because EA didnt make them. How ever it does have its advantages in reducing the amount of viruses that infect apples by having total control of the source code but then again if all you have is mindless drones then whos gonna write the virus in the first place .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alstonj1 View Post
    so much for that staying on topic resolution eh Dawn...
    Well, ya see... this was a topic within a topic, I was responding to the 'within' one.

Anyway guys... the staying on topic resolution was just a joke! D'uh!

I would never endeavor to take on something that I think is quite impossible!
    Dawn

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dattia View Post

Anyway guys... the staying on topic resolution was just a joke! D'uh!

Yes we know... We are just having fun with our weird sense of humor.
    Life
    It's what happens

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Weird?

Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there any other Kind?
    Jeff

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Before rovio people used this other Wow Wee product with a few mods and some software
    YouTube - Skype Robot Demonstration with WowWee Roboquad - Video

and this robot is only $49 at wow wee store store

http://www.esend.com/WowWee/
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

21. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2