Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speakers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BigBearSteve View Post
    Is it possible to reduce the input to a level that will not cause clipping?

There seems to be less clipping when adjusting the volume switch on the back, so if the amp is being overdriven by the preamp, the volume switch is probably controlling the input to the amp. That being the case, you could put one of those "volume controls" where they'd be properly used, in place of the switch. I haven't looked into this at all, and am just speculating at this point, so mod at your own risk (but let us know how it goes)
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by BigBearSteve View Post
    Is it possible to reduce the input to a level that will not cause clipping?
    Steve, what I believe Garfield is referring to would be reducing the power coming from the pre-amp side. To do this you would need to put a set of pots between the pre-amp and the main amp. This would allow you to reduce the power that is causing the distortion; assuming the distortion was not recorded into the original soundtrack. To do this you would need to track down the connection between the pre-amp and the main amp to install pots in that location. Some machines have separate wires that travel between these points like Top Gun. Other machines could have these leads in the main harness somewhere, or in the form of traces on the PCB. It would take some work to find the correct location, and the correct pot value to use. I am not an electronic engineer; therefore my knowledge in this area is limited. I do know that Julie sounded better when using an external set of speakers. I think that is the direction I will go in for now. As things slow down at work, and I get some free time; I will dig into this a little further.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    There seems to be less clipping when adjusting the volume switch on the back, so if the amp is being overdriven by the preamp, the volume switch is probably controlling the input to the amp. That being the case, you could put one of those "volume controls" where they'd be properly used, in place of the switch. I haven't looked into this at all, and am just speculating at this point, so mod at your own risk (but let us know how it goes)
    That's true... I didn't think about the volume switch. That has a good amount of potential. Thanks John!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like it's time to do surgury on Julie.
    My favorite color is Ham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2