I think it's inevitable...all Eleco reel LEDs are going to die at some point. This must have been a nightmare for the techs who seviced them at the pachi parlors in Japan.

I went ahead and installed 1800mcd 60 deg LEDS all around because a) I was sick of seeing the weird light patterns as more than half of them on my Hanabi were bad in various positions and b) I already (wasted) spent the money on these thinking the angle was fine. It turns out they are perfectly bright enough, actually better in terms of brightness than the originals. But you see a bit more "hot-spotting" than Wayne's 90deg Agilent's have. It's not noticeable when the reel is stopped. It looks like the symbol is glowing with an aura around it..kind of a neat effect. But when they are spinning you do notice distinct circles of light as opposed to the whole reel being uniformly lit. While I'm waiting on Wayne to come up with the optimum LED replacement ....these are a blessing compared to the way they were before. Now they are bright, all working and much easier to shoot.

Incidentally, I also tried some small 540mcd LEDs with 100 degree angle, similar to Wayne's Agilents, but I doubled them up - two per LED position so they had double the brightness. These lit up the reel in the full area and at the correct brightness. But since they are two distinct, albeit small and close together LEDs, you can sort of make out two dots through the translucent areas of the reel symbols, but only as they spin. It sort of looks like a small vertical dash instead of a dot on the Hanabi machine.

The good thing is, there are a number of ways to go depending on what you prefer.