Thread: Model B "Double Rainbow" restoration challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Model B "Double Rainbow" restoration challenge

This will be my first full vintage restoration. I decided to try my hand at a full restore, but settled on a few things. I decided to update the background a bit but not too fancy. The chrome has some pitting on the shooter tray, but I decided against any re-chrome. I have a chrome frame for the playfield in a bit better shape so will be using that(along with some other misc parts from a model B parts machine). I also decided to keep the clear plastic parts age colored as is but cleaned up to maintain the vintage parts look. As nice as the bulk of the parts looked initially, I am a bit surprised at how a few parts were not in so good shape. The ball launch track looked great until I started to clean it, then the section that is bent at a tight angle just snapped off in my hand. Again, good thing for a parts machine. Other smaller hardware has been a mixed bag of really nice pieces and a few that were quite corroded. It is still a bit daunting and I am amazed at how many bits and pieces there are to clean and put back together and I haven't even touched the spinners or tulips yet. I have almost finished the rear mech parts, shooter tray, lower tray and a couple track sections, and received a new background for the cell from Max(very patient guy - I lost count how many times I asked him to change colors and touch up the rendition of it so it would have the look I wanted) as well as a bag of clean pins(shipped them out before I got my own tumbler). Still a long road ahead, but finally had a little time to get this thread started and post some pics. Here's the machine as I purchased it some time back, some pics of how things are going, and a peak at the new background. I will post more pics as I get further along.

Model B Rainbow Front.jpgModel B Rainbow Rear.jpgOriginal playfield parts and bkgd pulled.jpgRainbow New Background.jpgRainbow cleaned rear parts 1.jpgRainbow shooter tray cleaned.jpgRainbow rear of shooter tray cleaned.jpg
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to naha13