Thread: Introducing...A new member of the family.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Introducing...A new member of the family.

Didn't want to mention this until the ShopGoodwill auction went final: Pretty nice looking 1970 Nishijin Front Overflow Model 'A'.

Since 1970 is the only year they made them, these are a bit more rare than other A's, and this one looks to be in pretty nice condition.

32.50 is not a bad price. It's missing the glass, but that would have most likely broken in shipment anyway.

Of course I'm getting soaked in shipping charges from Oregon to Florida. I hope they at least give the machine a snack and a movie. But I think it will be a nice restoration candidate and will compliment my 71 "Bowling" pretty nicely. It actually looks to be in inital better shape than my Bowling was, so that's a plus.

I looked in the Vintage Pachinko "Museum" on flicker and did not see this center feature before, so I'm pretty psyched.

Now to buy some balls, a background, and wait for the UPS guy.

a front overflow1.jpga front overflow2.jpga front overflow3.jpga front overflow4.jpga front overflow5.jpg

Here's a quick poll. What background do you think I should put on it? The original design is not available. I'm leaning towards the Three Clovers at Pachinko Planet because it is an authentic background from another 1970 front overflow. But I'm open to suggestions. Any input?
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Introducing...A new member of the family.

I saw that on shop goodwill. Didn't feel like posting it though because it didn't seem anything special to me. $32.50 is a good price for it though because it is shop goodwill your shipping will be outrageous (close to $75-80 right) and then you have to pay a 5% handling fee.

Anyways I have seen that center before. It is a little more uncommon but still pretty basic. Here is a pic of a machine with the same center.

5.jpg

The machine pictured is a very rare hybrid Front overflow / Model B machine. The front is like a Front Overflow yet the back is from a Model B. It is all factory made and hasn't been customized.

Back to your machine. I know a lot of people want to put back on a background from the same year but truthfully it won't change the value and some just don't look that nice. That is why I stick on backgrounds from other years or make my own custom ones that look period correct.

My favorites from pachinko planet are these ones:

Background Graphic: 1974 Nishijin 49S-02 (Geo Jumble) [49S-02] - $38.00 : Pachinko Planet, Antique and Vintage Pachinko Machines
    Background Graphic: 1966 Nishijin 41-01 (Mobius) [41-01] - $40.00 : Pachinko Planet, Antique and Vintage Pachinko Machines

Here is an example of a machine with the Geo Jumble background I did.

28.jpg

Also I have some favorites from Billy at Pachinko Restorations: Pachinko Background Art

• Boxes Bars
    • Double Check
    • Splits
    • V-1

Here are some examples of the Boxes Bars & V-1 backgrounds:

003.jpg021.jpg

I also said I create some custom background and here are a few that I think would look good on a Front Overflow.

• Boxes

boxes full size.jpg22 - Copy.jpg

• Dual Rotor

Dual Roto Full size.jpg

• Circles & Ovals

circles & ovals full size.jpg

If you're interested in one of my backgrounds send me a PM.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 05-14-2013 at 11:05 PM.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Billy at Pachinko Restorations has one called Origami based on a Maruhon that has a classic origami crane on it. I like that.

Max, since you have experience with both backgrounds, which one do you like better. I know Pachinko Planets are a single sheet which seems to provide easy application. I know mine was. But Billy at Pachinko Restorations seems to provide a two piece background. Is it harder to install? Is it thicker?

Billy's are a bit more expensive but not enough to really choose one for the other. What experience have you had with both backgrounds?

Thanks for your input Max.

And yeah, 73.68 shipping and handling for a total of 106.18. The most I've ever paid for one, but Florida is pretty barren for Vintages. Most of the machines are standard "B's" or Early Moderns. Most local Craigslist listings are $100 to $150 and I see very few A's this way, and the ones I did see were either in awful shape or way overpriced. A thrift store was trying to sell an 'A' with terrible chrome rust for 200.00. A person in a nearby town wanted 100.00 for their 'A" but later recanted and wanted 275.00 for all three machines.

So yeah, I took a bath in shipping and handling, but I haven't seen a front overflow in the entire state. Let alone one that looks this good.

We'll see what it looks like when I actually get it. I do have to give it to California. No shortage of quality inexpensive machines.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    Billy at Pachinko Restorations has one called Origami based on a Maruhon that has a classic origami crane on it. I like that.

Max, since you have experience with both backgrounds, which one do you like better. I know Pachinko Planets are a single sheet which seems to provide easy application. I know mine was. But Billy at Pachinko Restorations seems to provide a two piece background. Is it harder to install? Is it thicker?

Billy's are a bit more expensive but not enough to really choose one for the other. What experience have you had with both backgrounds?

Thanks for your input Max.

And yeah, 73.68 shipping and handling for a total of 106.18. The most I've ever paid for one, but Florida is pretty barren for Vintages. Most of the machines are standard "B's" or Early Moderns. Most local Craigslist listings are $100 to $150 and I see very few A's this way, and the ones I did see were either in awful shape or way overpriced. A thrift store was trying to sell an 'A' with terrible chrome rust for 200.00. A person in a nearby town wanted 100.00 for their 'A" but later recanted and wanted 275.00 for all three machines.

So yeah, I took a bath in shipping and handling, but I haven't seen a front overflow in the entire state. Let alone one that looks this good.

We'll see what it looks like when I actually get it. I do have to give it to California. No shortage of quality inexpensive machines.
    By personal preference I like Bill's backgrounds better. They are still 1 sheet. It is a little thicker but that is nicer as it won't wear as fast and it is higher quality. Bill prints them on 3M material so the things STICK well. His are a little trickier to lay down because they are a little thicker and the backer paper peels apart in 2 pieces. But I have always liked his better. When I was printing mine I was trying to find a print shop that carried the same 3M material but hardly anyone carries it! So my backgrounds are on basically the same material that Jame's are printed on. Which is still nice but isn't what I prefer.

In all it just comes down to what graphic you like best as the 2 of them don't have any of the same graphics (okay maybe except for 2 or 3) otherwise they all lay down pretty much the same.

Also with all backgrounds I put another layer of clear mylar over the graphic so balls aren't constantly hitting it. Bill told me about that trick when I was doing my first replacement and it really does help preserve the background better. You hardly notice it is even there. Plus the stuff is dirt cheap so it is like why not do it?

Here is what I use. http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...e-backed-film/

0.005" thick. You barely notice it is there. Just note when you put it down, try to handle it as little as possible as finger prints show very clearly.

I do have to give it to California. No shortage of quality inexpensive machines.
    Hey this is where most were imported. Many people bought them and then shoved them in storage. So there are gems hidden out here, you just need to dig for them.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 05-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I lived in Seattle during the Great "Pachinko Palace" boom. That's how I got into this. My dad bought me a 75 Shark Diver "B" for Christmas. Probably picked the most "manly" center feature he could find. Compared with others I have seen, it's pretty unremarkable.

I will probably go for that "origami" because I do love origami, and the crane is classic. I find that Billy seems to ship faster than James. I'll have to check to see if Billy has Tulip stickers as well. Plus I can pickup another "A" tray from him as well. I just got one from him and it's pretty nice. Small, but has a hole in it so it fits over that annoying bolt and nut that seems to be right where you want to put the tray.

I hope Goodwill packs it right. I would hate to have a bunch of broken pieces when it arrives.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I lived in Seattle during the Great "Pachinko Palace" boom. That's how I got into this. My dad bought me a 75 Shark Diver "B" for Christmas. Probably picked the most "manly" center feature he could find. Compared with others I have seen, it's pretty unremarkable.
    75 Sharkdiver machines The only one that really haunted me. Not because of the theme but because mine was filled with TERMITES!!! That isn't good when you have wood everywhere. So I have stayed away from those.

Oh and Bill does have the tulip stickers. I have never bought them as I like the look of the tulips without the stickers. On some machines I do, it seems like they would kinda just blend in a little and get lost.

I hope for your sake they do package your machine right. I have heard stories about goodwill's shipping. That is why when I buy a machine from them I make sure I can go pick it up in person. (plus it is cheaper)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, she's on her way. She left Portland Oregon this morning at 3am for her long trek home.

Since this will probably be my last restoration for a while (My apartment bedroom is only so big), I'm going to take my time doing it. I've got some twists in mind. More will be revealed.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to p.opus