Thread: Request for beta testers for the rev2 dongles.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Request for beta testers for the rev2 dongles.

I'm about a third of the way through the formal testing of the Alpha version of the new dongle software, so it's probably about time I did something about rounding up a few volunteers to get some beta testing done. I expect (hope!) that I'll get some time over the weekend to assemble a few more units (still only got 4 working ones right now!), and that the software will get past alpha early next week.

When I was designing the first dongles, there were just 8 beta testers and all I asked was for a simple check of functionality and signal timing on as many machines as possible. The beta test dongles were prototypes and had unfinished software, and all I really wanted was to find out if the dongles would actually work with any of the other pachinko machines that I didn't have in my own collection.

This time the beta test dongles will be production quality, and the software/hardware will be essentially identical to the final release version, which will be on sale once the testing is complete. For this reason I'm expecting a bit more from the beta testers.

Compatibility testing will be similar to the first dongles, and will just make sure that the signal levels and timing will work correctly on all machines. This will comprise a short sequence of checks that will take about 10 minutes per machine, and needs to be run on as many machines as possible.

Software testing can be done on any machine (but I might request these test to be run on a particular machine if there's something unusual/uncommon about it) and can take as much time as the tester can dedicate to it. It's really just checking operation in as many modes and with different combinations of settings and options as possible. I'll provide the list of alpha tests as a guideline, but it's up to the tester to think up things to try that are not on the list, in an effort to 'break' the software and find any bugs that may still be in the code.

'Use testing' is pretty much as it's title suggests, just use the dongle as you normally would, and report back if something doesn't appear to work correctly.

My ideal tester will have the following attributes (in order of preference)...

1 - Access to a large number of different machines to test the dongle on.
    2 - Plenty of spare time to put the dongle through as many tests as possible.
    3 - Previous experience of using the original dongles. Already having the smartcard reader, cards and the short extension lead (for the machines that need it) would be a big help as well.
    4 - Access to 'Microchip PIC' programming equipment for any code updates during the beta testing.
    5 - A tester that is located closer to me (ie UK and Europe) to reduce wasted time in the postal system if the dongles need to be returned for updates.
    6 - Access to a digital camera, and willing to take a few photos of the machine with the dongle installed, so I can update the 'Installation' page on my website with as many machines as possible.
    7 - A strong desire to play pachinko, and to be able to tell the family that they're 'working' on testing the dongle.

Now I know that not everyone is going to fit this description perfectly (except maybe point 7 ), but testers will be selected according to these priorities. However exceptions will be made, for example even if you only have a small collection of pachinkos, you may have a machine that no-one else has and get selected because of that, whereas someone who has a large collection of very common machines may not get selected at all.

As the new dongles contain quite a few changes that involve the smartcard reader, I'd really like to get as many beta testers as possible testing with them. The problem is that I can't afford to send out a free reader and cards to every tester, so I will have to give priority to testers that already have one. If any testers would like to buy the Smartcard option pack to go along with their beta test dongle (which all testers can keep at the end of the testing), then I would be very grateful for this. It'll be at the normal price of £10 (approx $15), but there will be no shipping to pay and I'll throw in an extra smartcard.

So if you think you're up to it, and you'd like to take part in the beta testing of the new card reader emulator dongles please send the following information to me either by private message or by email to pinballdave@gmail.com , I probably won't be able to confirm who will be selected until mid next week, so don't panic if you don't hear back from me straight away.

Name/Pachitalk username :
    Email Address :
    List of CR ready Machines you can test with. Please include manufacturer, year and frame style (if known) for each machine :

Digital Camera (Yes/No, resolution) :
    Smartcard option owned (Yes/No/willing to buy) :
    Short Extension Cable owned (Yes/No) :
    Additional Info (ie access to PIC programming kit, or anything else you think might make you a better tester) :

2. The following 16 users say "Thanks" to daverob