Thread: apple mac

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default apple mac

ok guys you know i stear clear of these things but iv been burnt big on a deal and just trying to salvage somthing from it

i brought a cabinet loaded with a toutch screen monitor and a p2 pc all was good to rip the pc out and use the touch screen to build a mame cab untill i transfered the video card to the new ppc and it fired up great...the first few times so at first glance it was a dvi card just get a replacment all was good till the dvi card came and i find it wasent a dvi card infact it has a mac monitor connector on the end even worse i find its like looking for rocking horse doo doo to try and get a mach on google so im down a mame cab as the monitor is blown in one wich i had ritten off for spares till i found the video card was missing and now im down the second one as the video card has gone down

why me lord i cant be that bad...can i ?

well question is to all the puter and mac gurus am i looking for a custome card and might as well give up now seramoniousley burning the cabs in the garden whilst dancing round with a voodoo doll of the guy who sold em to me finaly throwing my self doll in hand on top of the fire or...

will a mac agp or pci card fit and run in a pc ???

hope some one can help please

thanks the ever failing DOC
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: apple mac

Hey Doc,

Mac has used quite a few monitor connectors over the past x years. You will need to find out what connector is used and then get a convertor to DVI or VGA. They ARE around!

Swapping a video card between PC's and Mac's PPC only works sometimes. You can lookup the model of the video card and see if it is mac/PC compatible.

Anyway, the PPC with a video card and a proper converter on the cable should work with the touchscreen.

good luck !

3. The following user says "Thanks" to garfield

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Which connector is it (a photo would help).

I suspect that the signals are standard, it's just a non standard connector, so if you can determine the pinout it should be relatively easy to hack together a suitable lead.

Also it might be worth checking on the monitor itself (or google for the monitor specs), as it's likely that it will be capable of working at normal PC resolutions and it might be easier to simply change the monitor cable for a standard one.

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

okays pics are here glad you thinks you may be able to help iv found out from google and elo touch screens that the card is a custome and not by them or by sharp that made the monitor and dose run at pc resolutions i have had it running once till the graphix card went down was on a 800 600 res for mame

the pics are as follows

1 is the end of the lead that gose in the monitor
    2 is the monitor conector
    3 is teh end of the lead that gose in the card
    4 is the conector on teh grafix card
    5 is the card itself teh letters and numbers are DIV-2001T

thanks again all those showing intrest with info or help as i said im to far in this to afford to scrap the cabs or change the monitors
    Attached Images Attached Images

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like the VESA Enhanced Video Connector to me. It's just standard analogue VGA signals along with extra pins for audio, USB and firewire connections in the same connector shell.

A few details and the pinout can be found on this page.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for the help daverob but the link didnt work found the page and it looks slightly diffrent to teh connector i got on the pinout diogram there is a cross with 4 pins on it on teh connector i got is just one big pin down the middle of the cross

and working on your theory you think i can just hack a cable together if i can get the pin out for a VGA card or DVI card ???

if it helps there are the words molex on the card side of the cables connector
    Last edited by drcrippen324; 07-25-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here ya go doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

11. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok I didn't see the flat pin clearly in the picture. In this case it's most likely to be the VESA P&D connector instead. This comes in two flavours, one with analogue VGA signals (with the cross pin and the extra four pins) and one with digital signals only (with the flat pin in the same location).

Pinout can be found here...

http://www.interfacebus.com/PC_Plug_...us_Pinout.html

Full spec from...

http://web.archive.org/web/200307040...ic/PnD/pnd.pdf

The digital signals (the TDMS ones) look like they should be electrically compatible with DVI, but the signalling might be different. Hopefully the monitor will be able to tell the difference (if there is any difference!) and should still work ok.
    Last edited by daverob; 07-26-2008 at 06:37 AM.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmmm so dose that mean i could just get a converter plug that would do the P&D conevtor to DVI like the ones that do DVI to VGA ??? just thought id ask befor i hacked up my only spare cable

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I doubt if you'll find a suitable converter. I expect that most of them will be the wrong way round for your needs, ie a male P&D connector to a female DVI connector rather than the female P&D connector that you require.

The good news is that there are quite a few vendors offering the wrong type of adaptor, so at least it looks like the signals are compatible between the connector types.