Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Condition of machines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Condition of machines

There have been quite a few posts about the condition that machines have arrived in, thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on it.

What kind of condition do you expect from a Pachinko / Pachislo say, and does something outside of this interfere with your experience of playing the machine?

Personally I don't mind condition a great deal. I think this stems from my buying and selling of UK Fruit Machines. These typically stand 180cm tall (6ft), and weigh about 130kg (about 286lbs).

These typically spend most of their life in Arcades and Pubs (Bars to you American members ). Due to the amount of buttons on the front panel of the machine (typically about 7 buttons), in a pub most people would say hold a beer in one hand and control 3 of the buttons with that hand, and the other 4 or so with their other hand.

That being the case, many of the machines I've bought have :

a) Rust around the button panel. This is because of beer (and other drinks) being spilled onto the button panel, and bubbling the paint. Also missing paint, from dropped coins hitting the button panel, and also from when disgruntled players get annoyed and start chipping at the panel with change

b) Scuffs and scratches to the machines cabinet. These vary quite a bit,.due to the size of the machine you have to accept that when it has been moved from location to location (normally every 3>6 months in the UK) that it *will* get banged going through doorways, and it's normal to have dents (although not cracks) in the woodwork of the cabinet. Plastics will also almost always have scuffs.

But to be honest - these add a bit of authenticity to me. Nothing like having a machine in the house that you know has been played by people in pubs and arcades for hours on end, and has a couple of 'battle scars' to show for it. It shows a bit of 'authenticity'.

I don't mean the machine being in REALLY bad condition, but I don't mind paint missing from button panels, scuffing, e.t.c.

One of my machines (Monty Python) came to me with the original stats from when it was upgraded to a £25 Jackpot (which was about 5 years ago in the UK). Since it was upgraded (which was 1 year after the machine came out), it had taken in 253000 £1 coins, and loads of other amounts of coinage too. It had no doubt been in about 10 different sites in it's lifetime (mine having just finished it's life in a pub).

I consider it to be in good condition for it's age, and as it works 100%, I love it. Sure I could get it refinished, but I wouldn't 'like' it any more if that were the case. In fact, I think I would like it less, because I would be worrying about damaging it's fresh new paint finish rather than having a decent play on it.

Same applies to Pachislo / Pachinko. You need to accept that these machines are going to get a fair bit of wear and tear,
    and as I said above, it adds to the character of the machine. Unless you buy it as 'mint, unmarked' e.t.c. you should expect it to be in pretty worn condition, and be happy even if it has some 'cosmetic imperfections'.

Well, thats my opinion - anyone else got something to share?

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Bencrest

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Condition of machines

Personally thats the way I look at it Bencrest. But as you will quickly find out, there are some that preferr machines in pristene condition, However, they will be paying more for them....
    Last edited by scooby_doo_m2002; 08-01-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Me, I want mine to be very nearly, if not BRAND NEW. I don't want a beat up piece of junk. Even my 100+ year old cast Iron mechanical banks paint is in new shape.
    Used and Beat up is not my choice. Of corse I do pay more, but I get more.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by scooby_doo_m2002
    Personally thats the way I look at it Bencrest. But as you will quickly find out, there are some that are pretty anal about their machines and they clean them as often as they clean themselves. (no offense, no pun intended)
    Remember the Skunk my friend. (you ever get that all off ?)

Anal, I dodn't think fits here. Just the choice of NEW or Beat up

Thanks
    Thanks Received

out look changed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A pristine machine is a bonus for me, I'm very happy with the condition of all my machines.

Of course, the nicest machine I have is from Arby

and I have got a lot of other nice machines from other vendors, some look like new and even a scratch and dent from Milt looked great with a small scratch on the side of the door.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I don't expect a perfect machine, so I am hardly ever dissapointed.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pristine is what I prefer and if it should come in less than pristine, it's fun to see if it can be brought back to nearly that condition.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think because the pachis are only in the parlours for a ltd time, you'd expect them to be hopefully in better condition than the UK machines, which can sometimes be beat up a bit. Personally, I like both. I love having a brand new machine that I can just look at and admire, but I also like the thought that a worn machine has been used and has the marks to show for it. It makes the experience of playing it seem more real somehow. Coz I didn't spend my youth in Japan in the parlours, I prefer a newer looking Pachi, but am ok with a slightly worn looking UK machine.
    Star Wars, Spin Luck#749. Jet Set Radio, Space Shuttle Pinball & Monolopy quiz machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Aw c'mon...all you guys that like to get them pristine...tell me you don't do the "once over" again anyway, you know, just for the fun of it....
    Dawn

11. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it depends what you are going to do with them.. If they are going to sit in the garage, or under the stairs, then condition may not be a concern.

I think it also depends on peoples life styles.. Some people don't, mind living in a messy environment and don't look after their property.. Where as others are meticulous.

If, like me, you are making a 'feature' of the machines (in my case I actually built a games room for them (and other things)), you obviously want them in as near to new condition as possible.

Its the same with my UK Fruit machine, I wanted (needed) something nice, as it was going in my living room.

Jon
    Pachislo :
    Neo Pharaoh Zetz
    King Camel
    Beast Sapp (Which I want to change for Sinbad)
    Tekken
    Pachinko :
    Star Wars (Which I don't get)
    Other Stuff:
    Hot Stuff (UK) Fruit Machine - MAME Cabinet - Fully stocked Beer Fridge

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I understand Jon, yes I do

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Then again, sometimes it's fun to get them a little rough and see what you can do with them (more the vintage).

Then again, again, it's finding the time!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wany my newer machines in great shape because of all of the electronics. The older machines can be dirty but must containe all the parts. Right now I'm restoring an older sanyo bussan pachinko. Took it all apart and cleaned it up. Was quite a job, but with the help of bill connolly dvd ( pachinkoman ) its allmost done.
    Wally

16. The following user says "Thanks" to wally

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been fortunate in my transactions as most of my machines are in great shape. No pitting in the chrome or missing paint. I would be unhappy if I got a scratched and dented machine without being told it is was a scratch and dent prior to buying it.
    There's no need to fear....
    Pachislo: Speed Racer, King Camel, Beast Sapp, Sindbad Adventure, Death Valley.Pachinko: Popeye, Fever Kagetu, Fever Circus, Spiderman Neo American: Red,White,& Blue Deluxe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

all about the price. 50usd machine, ehhh, as long as it plays... 600usd spin luck, better be in pristine condition other wise somebody's arse is gonna be mine!!!!!!!!!!!

kinda like the rough looking, that way I can say "looky, looky, I made it look that nice."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have very high standards of course

with my Pachis condition is everything!

I would rather pay just that little extra............

But my Fruit Machines -are in the Garage - so I don't mind the odd blemish on them - and they are cheap compared to Pachis
    - so I accept their little imperfections.........
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now I know why my wife keeps me in the garage.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

21. The following user says "Thanks" to dishpan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jweaver
    I think it also depends on peoples life styles.. Some people don't, mind living in a messy environment and don't look after their property.. Where as others are meticulous.

Jon
    So you're saying that anyone who doesn't like spotless, new machines must live in a pig sty and not look after their property. Harsh, but fair (maybe)!
    Star Wars, Spin Luck#749. Jet Set Radio, Space Shuttle Pinball & Monolopy quiz machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't mind if they are a little messy. I enjoy working on them as much as I like restoring antique slot machines.

Here is a before and after castle front Mills slot I did...A little more work goes into these than the Pachis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nicely done
    Dawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast