Thread: Power brick for vintage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power brick for vintage

Ok, I searched the forums to avoid having to ask this question and I figure I must be just using the wrong terms. So, to use electricity for my vintage, what do I need? We have more than enough power bricks laying around the computer cave here at work. What amps or watts should I try to find to hook my machines up to? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by who922; 01-16-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: My pet peeve spelling; as usual

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power brick for vintage

It all depends on the bulbs! The only thing a vintage machine uses electricity for is to power to bulbs. Therefore, simply match the three pieces, blub socket to bulb voltage to transformer. One of my machines uses 9v transformer with 9v bulbs, while another uses 12v transformer with 12v bulbs. All the bulbs are the same size with the same screw in base.

Here's my suggestion. Pull an existing bulb so you have the right socket size. Review your 'stockpile' of transformers and remember what voltages you have (9v, 10v, 12v, etc.). Then take the bulb you pulled to your local radio shack and find the bulbs that are the same size and match a transformer that you have.

The original voltage was 10v. Therefore, many people have simply connected a 9v battery of some type up to the machine and their done. However, once the 10v burn out their in the same delima you are in. Many prefer this method so you don't have to plug the machines in to play them and see the lights.

I took another approach (personal preference) and have a power strip that I plug all my transformers into (along with my KeyChinko sign) and then when I want to play I simply flip the switch on the power strip. This prevents me from messing with batteries that run down and prevents the constant draw that transformer do when they are plugged directly to a wall socket.

Again, personal preference is the key and simply matching bulb, to socket, to transformer is the process.

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually, the original voltage was 8VAC. Vintage parlor lights (before battle counters) were this voltage, wouldn't see a reason to have multiple power supplies, one for lights, one for machines.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the bulbs have a fair range that they can use, but be aware the the rated voltage on a AC/DC adapter depends on the device it was intended for:

6VDC at 150mA means the device had an impedance that would pull at 150mA and the resulting voltage would be 6VDC

if you used this same power adapter with a lower impedance device, you could see 9 or 10 VDC. you can see this by checking the voltage open circuit of the adapter (not plugged into a device, but plugged into the wall)

if your light bulb is a 6V 150mA one, then you're fine, but this same adapter could work a slightly higher or lower voltage bulb in the same mA range.

now, suppose you have 12VDC adapter, rated 500mA. this would probably be too much for the bulbs on our vintage pachinkos (probably around 10 V, 200 mA). it would work but send too much current through the bulbs and shorten their life.

I have used 5VDC 500mA adapters no problem, these are common to cell phones and computer peripherals (usb output is regulated 5V, max 500 mA)

one other detail. occasionally, you will find adapters that are voltage regulated. these are more expensive, but will maintain what ever voltage they say. in this case, a 5VDC, regulated adapter will probably be a little dim for the bulbs in our vintages.

btw, I learned a lot of this the hard way when I fried a walkman years ago, not realizing that an adapter that said 6 VDC was way too high mA, and it had closer to 10VDC open circuit and fried my walkman.

at least pachinko machine bulbs are very tolerant, and they take AC, too, if you just have a step down transformer.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mudfud-I followed you right up until the end. So does this mean I need a step down transformer or will the 5VDC 500mA adapter work fine by itself? Thanks for the help guys. I do electricity OK. Electronics...not so well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by who922 View Post
    Mudfud-I followed you right up until the end. So does this mean I need a step down transformer or will the 5VDC 500mA adapter work fine by itself? Thanks for the help guys. I do electricity OK. Electronics...not so well.
    yeah, I was kinda brief there.

what I meant - the resistive light bulbs can take either AC or DC voltage. in fact, the powerflash's bulbs are powered off of AC, straight off the 10VAC of transformer.

so, if you had an AC stepdown transformer lying around (maybe for a low voltage garden lighting setup?), you could use this, too, if it was in the right current range.

the 5VDC 500mA ac/dc adapter is fine. In fact, I have so many of these adapters lying around that I was going to designate one for the pachinko machines, and put a 9 volt snap thing on the end. if I want to play for hours, I can plug in to where the battery is.

I used sharmoni's suggestion and have been replacing the bulbs with the 7.5 volt, 220 mA bulb from radio shack (#50), and i've also used the 6.3 volt, 150 mA bulbs (#40). it's not critical.

today I ordered 10 LED bulbs to fit the screw base. they are sold for 12 VDC, however, and I'm hoping the 9 volts is bright enough. it was hard to find LED bulbs with a screw base. the bayonet type is easier to find. they were about $3 each, but if I don't have to worry about melting plastic or changing bulbs and the battery last longer, it should be worth it.

holler if you have any more Q's. i'm good with electronics (DC), but I am awful with AC (fortunately, the wife takes care of house wiring)
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, Im trying to get the lights functioning - I found a power transformer for an old router (now dead), that is 9v @ 4a. I pulled a bulb, but I don't see any specific voltage stamped on it. The back of my C model says 10v (AC) @ .4a but right below that it says 10v (AC) @ 1a and then another line that says 24v (AC) 1.4a (with some japanese writing between the voltage info. Does any of that mean anything relevant?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have used 10vdc transformers in the past and they work great. I have used 9VDC transformers in the past, and they are adequate. I have used 12VDC transformers in the past, and the bulbs go real bright and then go *POP*.

I just go full 12VDC now with replacement 12VDC bulbs and wall-wart. Bright and cheap.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by nishijinc-owner View Post
    Ok, Im trying to get the lights functioning - I found a power transformer for an old router (now dead), that is 9v @ 4a. I pulled a bulb, but I don't see any specific voltage stamped on it. The back of my C model says 10v (AC) @ .4a but right below that it says 10v (AC) @ 1a and then another line that says 24v (AC) 1.4a (with some japanese writing between the voltage info. Does any of that mean anything relevant?
    member rival's instructions may not work.

Because the bulbs are 10V (AC or DC don't matter. Amps don't matter much either. But try to find around .85a) But your machine has a motorized center feature which is 24V (AC I guess) so you need to get a transformer that puts out both 24V and 9V (or 10) Member Moparperformance has a few transformers that could work. But I'm not sure if they will work because I have no idea how the power is hooked up to a model C. (I don't own one yet...)

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had assumed this was a standard machine since there were no pics posted. If there is indeed a motorized center feature that requires 24 volts I would swap the bulbs with 24VDC bulbs and run a single 24VDC transformer, just like for powerflashes. Here is the solution I offer for such conversions:

http://pachinkoplanet.com/zencart/in...products_id=40

I don't see anywhere in this thread addressing the fact that there is a requirement for a 24VDC motor or solenoid though.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

going from memory your machine only needs a 9 volt or a wall wart.. i dont recall your machine needing 24 volts for anything..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My model C uses a 24VAC transformer, and has an internal rectifier board for the solenoid. Post some pics of the back!
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    going from memory your machine only needs a 9 volt or a wall wart.. i dont recall your machine needing 24 volts for anything..
    You are completely right.

Sorry I brought up 24v. I went back and looked at the thread and it has no motorized CF. I think I was thinking of a different machine all together.

100 machines and counting...

15. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, Im pretty confused now. I did put just an old 9v DC source and I get lights on the top. But I don't get any activity when something goes into the center - no payout even. I don't think the center has any wires going to it. I will play with it some more and see if I can figure out whats going on. Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread - I thought it was relevant to my prob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, Im pretty confused now. I did put just an old 9v DC source and I get lights on the top. But I don't get any activity when something goes into the center - no payout even. I don't think the center has any wires going to it. I will play with it some more and see if I can figure out whats going on. Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread - I thought it was relevant to my prob
    no worries we got ya coverd back in your original post

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...706#post440706
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead