Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don Quijote - Opinions?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Don Quijote - Opinions?

A local seller is offering this pachinko machine for $40 (US Dollars). I have already set up a time with the seller to go examine/purchase it this weekend. But before I do, I thought that it would be wise to get some advice from the best (yes, I'm still kinda new here so I'm sucking up)!

The name of the machine is "Don Quijote" and it is manufactured by Toyotec. I attempted to research additional information on the machine, but did not find much at all. However, I did learn that Don Quijote is the name of a chain of stores in Japan and now also in Hawaii. Their website (http://www.donki.com/en) indicates that they have around 150 stores -- that makes me wonder if this is a custom-designed machine produced specifically for use in the Don Quijote stores.

I've attached two pictures of the machine, one showing the entire machine/cabinet and one showing a closeup of the cell/playfield. I can tell that there is a small amount of damage to the bottom of the cabinet/paint -- but that's only the cabinet (easily fixed or rebuilt if needed). The seller says that the machine works perfectly, and I will test it before purchasing.

I'm mainly curious as to what everyone thinks about the gameplay, based on the playfield, pin layout, gates, tulips, etc. I'm less concerned with payouts, etc. -- I'm wondering "does it look fun?" There does seems to be some interesting features present. For example, there are two items on either side (next to the spinners) that appear to have pins inside. I'm not sure what they do, but perhaps they could add a bit more interest to gameplay.

My lady rolled her eyes when I brought home the last machine (my Apollo 1) only a week or two ago; this one may have to go into hiding until the timing is right (you know, like after she goes out and buys something frivolous for herself and I can feel justified in adding a new toy to the gameroom).

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer -- and a very Happy New Year to all!

~ Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to SpinCycle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Don Quijote - Opinions?

Sneak it in... she may not even notice it!
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i enjoy my Toyotec from that era.. cant really ofer any insite into that exact machine.. but it looks like it is worth the trip..

My toyotec is interesting that the player has to hit the balls in a spacific order to get the bonus door open

hear is the post about it

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/mode...-pachinko.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is certainly a very interesting looking Pachinko

I can see the Toyotec brand on it but can't see that one in our Research Centre, and looking at the pockets either side of the
    "Don Quijote" I can see that they are not a matching pair, but then looking at the nail arrangement above those pockets, they are different too, so looks like it was meant to be different

Looking at the top of the cell, are those Pachinko Balls at the top left and right?? I wonder what the theme is?? I presume something is played on the screen in the middle and sound??

I expect Compirate will probably know whether this is a genuine release or a custom

But it is certainly very intriguing and has some interesting features, I'd love it!! and at only $40 dollars, if it works, I'd say go for it

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Toyotec makes some pretty sweet machines, lots of detail to the cels

I think it's based on Don Quijote, the windmill chasing dude, not the store. It's called Quijote 2 (no Don, even though it's on the face of the cell )

ドンキホーテ2

ƒ‘ƒƒ‚ƒƒ‘ƒ‚ƒ*œ€–Ÿ種ƒ…*

If you look down a little on this page, there are links to some videos, seem to be mostly center shots

Apparently comes in a couple flavors of cel face, don't think there's any difference in odds.

Those things that look like they have pins inside them are spinners. They turn all the time and have a single pocket to one side. You have to land a ball on top of them, then hope you don't knock it off before the pocket comes around. Not sure about the one on the left, but I think the one on the right causes the tulip below it to open for a second or two (seeing as the top of it is blocked when it's closed). Not sure what that would give you.
    Last edited by compirate; 12-31-2009 at 02:47 PM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it looks like a great machine. For $40 I wouldnt hesitate!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks to everyone for all your help and opinions!

Compirate, I'm impressed. I consider myself pretty good at researching and digging up information on the web, and I spent a bit of time looking but found almost nothing about this machine. Then within a few minutes of my post you provided several great links. Thank you again.

I also first thought that the name referred to Cervantes' Don Quixote, but in my searches the only connection I could find between pachinko and that name led me to the Japanese chain store. Heh -- I was already thinking of telling my friends that the machine paid tribute to that literary classic, rather than to some Japanese version of Walmart (sometimes it's all about creative marketing).

Yes, it does seem to be a good deal and I don't plan on hesitating to get the machine (provided everything works as promised). My hesitation is more in response to the, um... "expectations of disapproval" when I try to bring it in the door at home. So, I'll probably have to try some of that creative marketing and sell her on it before she sees it. I don't really want to buy a voltage inverter so I have an AC outlet in my SUV to plug it into. And since it's pretty cold right now here in Ohio, I also don't want to sleep in that SUV next to a pachinko machine -- even if it does warm up when I play with it.

Thanks to all. Once again, best wishes for a safe and Happy New Year!

~ Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like a nice machine and for $40 go for it!! Send your wife for a manicure, that will balance everything out

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post

Those things that look like they have pins inside them are spinners. They turn all the time and have a single pocket to one side. You have to land a ball on top of them, then hope you don't knock it off before the pocket comes around. Not sure about the one on the left, but I think the one on the right causes the tulip below it to open for a second or two (seeing as the top of it is blocked when it's closed). Not sure what that would give you.
    On my Doradora the right spinner turns all the time (3 or 4 rev's per min).. the ball sits in there perty deep so i have never knocked it off.. but i will deflect other balls from being able to land there will waiting to fall into the pocket when the revolves around.. the left one does not spin at all
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exclamation Re: Don Quijote - Opinions?

Hi guys and Happy New Year,

A couple of clarifications here. The machine is called Don Quixote 2 (the 'Don' part is in katakana in both the links you provided Compirate).

Also, its a kenrimono machine (権利モノ), which is why it has the right hand side open gate and revolving tulip/spinner. You can see lots of examples of these 'rights type' machines in my kenrimono gallery on the website link below. Moparformances link is spot on : he also has a kenrimono 'rights' machine, which is the same kind of gameplay as this machine.

Finally, there is one currently being auctioned on Yahoo Japan : http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e97945801 if you want to see some other shots of this machine. There is also a shot in here of the owner pointing to the manufacturer name plate with the confirmed machine name in katakana (ドンキホーテ2)

Hope you get it!
    There is always another machine around the corner...

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am glad you are getting this. I was trying to figure how to get out of the house long enough to get to Cleveland.

$40.00 sounds great to me! I would have it already if it were closer to me. I saw this one a few days ago and it has been on my mind sence.

I'm just glad that I might get to see a video of it now that a "PT" member got it. (Hint hint)
    --

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wish it was a pachinko machine from the stores in Japan, but seeing as it doesn't have their trademark blue penguin I doubt it. I loved that chain; it's like a Japanese walmart full of all sorts of insane things and they were all over Tokyo if you knew how to find them!
    Clover Collectables - the US's largest Pachinko and Pachislo dealer - [email]Contact@clovercollectables.com

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jackdanielsx View Post
    I wish it was a pachinko machine from the stores in Japan, but seeing as it doesn't have their trademark blue penguin I doubt it. I loved that chain; it's like a Japanese walmart full of all sorts of insane things and they were all over Tokyo if you knew how to find them!
    there is still one in Shibuya... we shopped there in July last year and bought lots of cheap junk..
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I now own a Don Quijote "kenrimono" pachinko machine.

This pachi adventure was not without some confusion. The kind of confusion where I drive an hour each way during a snowstorm on already-snowy roads, only to discover that the seller wasn't even there. And, not answering his cell phone. And, not returning the numerous voicemail messages I had left on the way and while already parked in his business parking lot (where we had agreed to meet). It turns out that he somehow misread our earlier emails, and he thought we were going to meet the following day -- even though his return email said that this specific day/time/place was "fine" for us to meet! Apparently his cell phone was turned off because it's also his work phone, and I guess he was avoiding any work on his day off (work such as pressing a button and saying "hello?")

Anyway -- after more emails and finally a few phone calls, we managed to meet yesterday at a gas station that was a much closer drive. The seller seemed to be a decent guy who had friends/family in businesses that got pachis and other games "pretty often." (Yes, I asked him to contact me whenever more became available).

He offered to plug the machine into his work-van's inverter if I wanted to see that it worked. But since he had already guaranteed that it worked (and I already knew where to find him if it didn't), I told him that I would test it once I got it home and let him know. Besides, I didn't know the quality of his inverter and didn't want to risk damage. Oh... and I also didn't really want to stand around a long time in a windy lot when it was about 7 degrees even before considering the windchill.

When I got it home and unloaded I was happy to find that the machine seems to work just fine. However, it does show signs of wear on some of the parts (see attached image of the shooter handle where you can see the yellow plastic showing through the 'chrome'). I did notice the wear while we were still loading it into my SUV, but nothing was broken -- and I had already spent enough time emailing/calling/driving that I figured I wouldn't worry too much about the $40. Besides, other PachiTalk members were waiting to see pictures!

The machine also needs a thorough cleaning -- a process still a bit intimidating to me as my three previous pachis were all clean when I got them. Now that I have three pachinkos, I'm starting to think that a Pica Cell Cleaner may not be such an outrageous expense after all!

So, consider the attached images as "before" pictures. Once I get it cleaned, I can upload some "after" shots. I'm also wondering -- does anybody knows where I might locate a replacement shooter handle (or at least the chrome ring that shows wear)? Alternately, is there a product that is effective at restoring or reapplying a faux-chrome finish to such parts? Again, the machine was inexpensive so I'm not that concerned nor do I want to sink a significant amount of money into restoration. But if I can make it prettier on the cheap, I'm eager to do so!

Thanks again to all for your guidance, support, and lack of intervention that should have prevented me from getting yet another machine that my other half will eventually discover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

21. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to SpinCycle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

True, getting a machine in great shape is definitely a plus... getting one that needs a little love is not a bad thing, as you know. These machines offer so much bang for the buck, I don't think there is anything out there that can compare to the value.

Your perseverance in getting this machine is testimony that you are indeed a PachiTalker, ie PachiLover! Good luck in finding the parts you want!
    Dawn

23. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if it's a kenri machine, then it's worth that much more, right? these are supposed to be more difficult to find, and a bit trickier to play... in fact, I should have one arriving from florida today... while a nishijn A with birds lands in jacksonville, to be followed by a matuya single shot being refurbed in carson city, NV on its way to jacksonville...
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

25. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Consider parts next to impossible to find. And parts in decent condition even harder. The parts can be re-plated, but it's not cheap.

There is at least one machine that has 99% of the case gold chromed

27. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the "golden fleece" of pachinkos
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So presssssssshhhhhhhoussssssssss!

(yes I know that's not how it's spelled )

30. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

chrome spray paint???

I'm glad you got it!

Let us know when he has more available.
    --

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast