Thread: Thoughts on Togin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Thoughts on Togin

I know some members have come across these crazy "Togin Tokyo" machines, and now that I have restored a few I would like to make a few observations and a few conjectures that may provide some insight.

First off, we should understand that the machine manufacturers did not make all of their parts any more than Ford makes all of their parts. Many smaller companies would make a few parts, such as spinners, or maybe plastic WIN pocket covers. Nishijin might order a million spinners one year of a certain type, and Sangyo might order a million of another. Sometimes the small companies would design interesting parts and features and then "pitch" them to Nishijin and others, and other times they would simply manufacture them from design orders. Even background designs were farmed out to graphics companies, just like any other components. A Nishijin machine , while assembeld by Nishijin, was the product of dozens of smaller parts fabricated by smaller companies. Sophia for example was a leading maker of the plastic rear covers and rails, and their trademark can be found on the rear of machines assembled by dozens of manufacturers.

Togin machines are a real oddity. They are literally the "red-headed stepchild" of pachinko machines. It does not appear as if they were ever intended to be used in parlors, but rather, they were built for export and resale in the United States. I have yet to find a Togin machine with an expiration tag.

Togin machines appear to have been assembled with spare parts from other machines, and it appears that many of these spare parts were recycled from expired machies as well. The backgrounds are pulled from a variety of manufacturers, as are the attractions, tulips, mechanics, and even the ball trays. They can be oddly mismatched making determining a maufacture date pretty much impossible. I have one with a 1977 center attraction from a Daicii, jackpot and ball out lights from a 1975 Nishijin, a background from a 1976 Sankyo, a front overflow tray from i don't know where, and a front case from a 1974 Nishijin. Add to that some ball catchers from a Heiwa and you have a real chimera. The chrome on the front ball tray shows the unmistabable marks of a previous Nishijin badge, and was replaced with a "Togin Tokyo" badge.

The playfield graphic was not adhered to the playfield with the standard "combed" adhesive, but was instead stuck to some sort of bizarro spray adhesive that is so rubbery I cannot sand it off. It resists both acetone and turpentine. I still haven't figured out how to remove it. Kids, don't try this at home. It will be frustrating.

In short, beware there crazy things if you intend to take them on as a restoration project. They may not be worth the effort because when it comes to Togin machines, nothing is as it appears.

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Thoughts on Togin

Thank you Rival.

Question.
    Is Togin an official business of remanufactured Pachinko machines or simply the general name used for them?

I am also into antique music. 78's, Victrola's.
    There are individuals on eBay who sell "Original Victrola's" which (for example) are said to come from "Estate from deceased Chinese with big money". These are Franken machines assembled with every sort of mechanism from any manufacturer which has been modified to fit. If the crank handle needs to come out the opposite side of the case... no problem just drill a new 1/2" hole. If a bracket doesn't fit then bend it.

Potential buyers with any knowledge easily spot these Franken machines but those will less knowledge seem to buy them up. It is suspected that different individuals had purchased various phonograph parts located in warehouses across China, India, Europe and Africa which had been stored for decades to assemble these fraudulent machines. I think it would be fine if they stated what they were, but they're presented as authentic.

I was wondering if Togin is a name someone might want to look out for.
    Last edited by SteveFury; 10-17-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How about some pics of a Togin, now that you made me curious?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really interesting. I think you may be right that, that "brand" was mainly made for imports. Really odd how they went an took parts from everywhere. They must have been buying up the overstock or worn out machines to be getting all those parts. Great info. Thanks for it all.

100 machines and counting...