Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Once a reel gets a dimple/indentation, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Once a reel gets a dimple/indentation, is there any way to fix it?

Just wondering if there is any way to fix a reel that has a dimple/indentation. I would think it's a lost cause, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Once a reel gets a dimple/indentation, is there any way to fix it?

would taking the reel tape off and iron it flat work? would have to be carefull not to burn or melt tape.???
    Last edited by Chrisdice; 02-03-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well when I got in the Top Gun from Gaku the box looked good. Then I opened it! Apparently it was dropped on the corner, and I must say from a good hight too! Instead of a rectangle like a machine is supposed to be it was now a diamond shape! Just one of the things I had to fix was a small dimple/cut in one of the reels. I was lucky, it was on the Cherry. I pressed it back flat as much as I could but when the reel light was on behind it you could see a small bit of light coming through. Since it was the cherry I put a dab of red paint behind the hole. This did stop the light coming through. With it being on the cherry it doesn't come up as much so that helps. If it was on the white of the reel I don't think the paint trick would work. I have a 3/8 crease on the white part of the reel on another machine and there isn't much I have found to fix it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The reels are a super thin plastic or a coated paper. Wouldn't something like that "Ding King" tear it apart?
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

were you able to see that picture? I thought It didn't work so I took it off. I was just trying to make a goof.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice
    were you able to see that picture? I thought It didn't work so I took it off. I was just trying to make a goof.
    Well.....not in the thread...I had to copy the URL and paste it into my browser.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice
    would taking the reel tape off and iron it flat work? would have to be carefull not to burn or melt tape.???
    1. How do you take the reel tape off? 2. How do you get it back on?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In The Past . . .

I used a hot sewing needle to mark the reel and reel strip for alinment (small hot pin prick). Than either slit the glued area or worked the strip off.

But I would first use a heat gun on low and slow to heat the area and push it out from the back, worked good for me on everything but a sharp crease.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

9. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    In The Past . . .

I used a hot sewing needle to mark the reel and reel strip for alinment (small hot pin prick). Than either slit the glued area or worked the strip off.

But I would first use a heat gun on low and slow to heat the area and push it out from the back, worked good for me on everything but a sharp crease.
    Thanks, Arby. Do you heat the area from the back before pushing it from the back?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I heat both sides, very softly, Remember slow and low, You will be working a fine line there

12. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I heat both sides, very softly, Remember slow and low, You will be working a fine line there
    Do you put the tip of the heat gun directly on the reel strip, or do you use something in between, like a cotton towel? Also, did you ever ruin a reel strip by overheating it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Based on your last comment, you might not want to try it. I believe the heat gun Arby is referring to is the industrial blow dryer style. You probably don't want to get closer than a couple inches. Definetly don't touch the reel strips with the tip of the heat gun, or it's a goner.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko
    Based on your last comment, you might not want to try it. I believe the heat gun Arby is referring to is the industrial blow dryer style. You probably don't want to get closer than a couple inches. Definetly don't touch the reel strips with the tip of the heat gun, or it's a goner.
    It's not a matter of me not trying it; I think I didn't understand what a heat gun is/how a heat gun works. (I think I had in mind something more like a soldering gun). I just did a search for heat guns, and they're more like strong hair dryers.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bf_of_pf
    Do you put the tip of the heat gun directly on the reel strip, or do you use something in between, like a cotton towel? Also, did you ever ruin a reel strip by overheating it?

Yes I have ruined a few, got any old junk to test on ? I put heat at around 6 to 8 inches and moving around. don't dwell on a point. I just a heave card stock to reshape the curve on. After low heating I backed with the card board, and used it to shape the bend if on reel or flat the rinke out.

I can take a couple of times to make it all go away.

Low and slow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use an industrial blow dryer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1st sentence in my last post didn't come across as I had intended. I didn't mean to be as snide as it sounds now that I go back and read it.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use an industrial blow dryer
    You mean a hair dryer?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1st sentence in my last post didn't come across as I had intended. I didn't mean to be as snide as it sounds now that I go back and read it.
    n/p. You can be as snide as you care to.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For most of my low-heat heat gun needs, I actually use a hair dryer that my wife rejected a few years back. It doesn't have the oomph of a heat gun, but sometimes that's a good thing
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A hair dryer will work fine.
    I too have wrote something that didn't read as I wanted. That how I got married !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast