Thread: Pachinko Palace memories...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko Palace memories...

Hi all, I'm new here (please be gentle), and thought that the Vintage forum could use a little help.

The very first Pachinko machine I ever laid eyes on was in my uncle's basement - he brought it back from Japan while he was in the navy. I'm guessing it was about 1966 then. I remember marveling at it's mechanical complexity. Strange how today I marvel them for their mechanical simplicity!

I begged Uncle Ron to let me have it, no dice. Jump ahead (back?) to about 1975,76 or so in Anaheim CA. Next to our grocery store was an empty store that just put up a white sign with large red lettering...PACHINKO PALACE. Cool I thought, their putting in a pachinko arcade! Remembering the cool times I had with my uncle's machine, I could'nt wait.

Well the lights were finally on and the open sign was out. I walked in and thought, "what the hell..."

This place was about the size of a small Radio shack, not a stick of furniture or shelving, with bare white walls. Pretty much a gutted store. What it did have was about 80 pachinko machines leaning on one another, (no feet on them) like giant dominoes against the walls.
    The guy there says their for sale! Whoa, I can actually have one of my own!
    I went home and begged my mom for an advance on my allowance,( I'm about 15 years old then). I seem to recall that the machines went for around 25-30 dollars. For an extra 10 dollars you can get an "automatic", which the salesguy described as more desirable because they had a center tray in the back were the loser balls would collect and be drawn for win payouts, making the need to refill the top hopper less frequent.

It took me about an hour to make a decision, they were all so cool, it was tough to choose! To see the machine faces, you had to thumb through the heavy leaning stacks like record albums. At a certain point the weight of the machines became dificult to manage plus they were rubbing on one another. It could have been handled better.

Alot of the machines seemed to have more western themes in the center,(main attraction?) but I liked the exotic asia angle, so it came down between the Soumo wrestler or the round dragon head one. The dragon head won out,( it had one more tulip). For an extra couple of bucks you could buy the wooden feet , which you had to put on yourself.

That store was there less than a year before it became something else. It may seem like a dive joint but it was pure pachinko magic. The next couple of years I noted that big Dept. stores like Sears and J.C. Pennys were all selling Pachinkos. The ones they had seemed newer and cheaper made, like they were made solely for the American market and their new found craze.

Anyways, I still have my one and only (I live in shame) original machine, which I recently unearthed from storage. I got all re-motivated to fix her up and found this site. You guys/gals have alot of great info here and I just wanted to share abit. Thanks

P.S. These new pachinko machines - WOW - I had no idea!

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to Greg R.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachinko Palace memories...

Welcome to our site.

Yes the new machines are a huge WOW! Rapid fire, stereo sounds and lights to blaze their way into synapses of your brain! You will be hooked forever!
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME, Greg R! Good to have you with us. Enjoyed your first post above. Great story!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Greg!!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Greg, enjoyed your contribution.
    Never met a Pachi I didn't like!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Greg, I really enjoyed that story...thanks for taking the time to write it! And when you can, post a pic of your machine, if possible!

Thanks, and welcome!
    [D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great story, welcome and thanks.

It reminded me of the excitement when I found a pachinko machine amongst an estate collection of Japanese memorabilia at a junk store (I purchased the pachinko and bunch of old glass slides from Japan). I knew what it was from my studies on Japanese culture. If was old, waterdamaged (so were the slides), and it had been reconditioned and originally sold in Canada by a firm in Alberta (Pachinko Factory), likely in the 70's. I dusted it off then, got it unjammed and working (no manual), found a manufacturer of ball bearings and I was in business!

Fast forward more than 15 years later and I've dusted it off again and have been pulling it apart, meticulously cleaning and polishing every part (lots of rust, dirt, grease). It'll never be the polished Geisha it once was again, but at least the old gal will look nice next to my pachislos. Can't wait to one day get a new pachinko to put beside her too.

Since the Pachinko fad of the 70's came and went, I wonder too if the "fever" will wear out for the current round of import sellers until my kids re-discover the charm of my collection?
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to websherpa

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great story, Greg, thanks! Welcome to PachiTalk, hope you stick around for a long time.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum