Thread: Volume - which resistor?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Volume - which resistor?

Read afew of the posts here, and there was a suggestion of a simple fix using a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor in line...or a variable pot..

Then read another post saying it shouldbe around the 500 ohm mark...thats a LOT of resistance !

I am assuming the 50 ohm is correct ? Could someone please confirm ?

Thanks

BIG"S"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume - which resistor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsasquatch
    Read afew of the posts here, and there was a suggestion of a simple fix using a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor in line...or a variable pot..

Then read another post saying it shouldbe around the 500 ohm mark...thats a LOT of resistance !

I am assuming the 50 ohm is correct ? Could someone please confirm ?

Thanks

BIG"S"
    Yes, that's correct, a 50 Ohm fixed resistor. The 500 Ohm post was about a Potentiometer being used as a variable resistor.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so if I wanted to use a POT as long as it was rated maximum above 50 ohm, then it would be OK ? i.e. 0- >50 ohm resistance oh, and what power rating for the pot ?

Cheers

BIG"S"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsasquatch
    so if I wanted to use a POT as long as it was rated maximum above 50 ohm, then it would be OK ? i.e. 0- >50 ohm resistance oh, and what power rating for the pot ?

Cheers

BIG"S"
    It depends how you are going to wire it. If you are going to wire it like a variable resistor(easier) than you want one with at least a 500 Ohm rating.

You also need to consider another thing which is how many speakers you have. If you have two speakers I would recommend a single dual-gang pot as that will allow you to adjust both speakers at once. Although, it really depends how often you need to adjust the volume. I have kids in the house and end up frequently adjusting the volume on my machines.

Here is a good link on the different wiring options for pots.

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Other options include syscom style volume controls, L-PADS, fixed resistors and just stuffing someting thing between the speaker and the grill.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1/2 watt pot works fine, but you should specify which machine and which speakers as, for example, on Sammy Piezo tweeters you need to install a pot with much more resistance (2.5k or 5k Ohm 1/2 watt).

If you want the machines really quiet at night, or really loud to show off how loud they really get, then pots or L-Pads are the way to go (again, it seems to depend on the machine model which works better), decide if you want them mounted outside, inside or through case for easy of adjustment (Personally I like pots or L-Pads mounted through the side so I can adjust volume on the fly).

If you want to spend the least and the simples hook-up go for the 50 Ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the Woofer's positive terminal. It cuts the volume on a majority of machines to a nice but invariable level and still leaves enough volume not to stress the Amp (like a 500 Ohm pot set to full resistance would).
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks...

just soldered some 47 ohm wirewounds in line on the Hanabi Hyakkei machine and the volume is just perfect......

Cheers

BIG"S"