Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Pinball

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Traditional Pinball

Quote Originally Posted by rupan777
    Pinball doesn't have cash payouts.

'Nuff said.
    I was going to say that strickly speaking Pachislo and Pachinko don't have cash payouts either. But then I'm sure it would open up a debate as to whether pachinko balls/pachislo tokens would be classed as cash and I don't have the energy for that one and the more I think about it, the more I think they would. Anyhow, I'm not saying pinball is better, just good as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

in my opinion its an apples oranges thing. though similar you cant really compare them equally they both have their pluses and both have their minuses. but the one thing that both have in common is they are fun.

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How are apples and oranges fun? Now bananas I can understand, just look at these fellas go!:

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Mike

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    How are apples and oranges fun? Now bananas I can understand, just look at these fellas go!:
    Apples and oranges fly much better than bananas.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was going to say that strickly speaking Pachislo and Pachinko don't have cash payouts either. But then I'm sure it would open up a debate as to whether pachinko balls/pachislo tokens would be classed as cash and I don't have the energy for that one and the more I think about it, the more I think they would. Anyhow, I'm not saying pinball is better, just good as well.
    If you play in the machines' motherland, it's all cash baby.
    Player, not collector. ドルドル箱yo~~~!
    Check out my journal for translated pachinko guides and manuals.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jeffneely
    I know, I know... this is a pachinko and pachislo forum!

I have to ask though since a lot of of pachifolk seem to have game rooms with some diversity. I'm looking to get myself a traditional pinball machine. Not sure if I'll spring for a new Stern model (since they're the only ones still making pinball machines these days) or whether I'll try to find a shopped-out classic machine. I'd love to have something like an "Attack From Mars" or maybe a "Cirqus Voltaire" or any of several others on my short list.

My question: is there a similar forum or resource that caters to pinball enthusiasts? Anyone have any advice or experience to share wrt pinball?

Thanks.
    vgc already recommended the best pinball forum to you:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en

rec.games.pinball is loaded with info, help, and opinions on just about anything connected with pinball. The overall camaraderie on rgp doesn't come close to matching the friendly confines of PachiTalk, but it's still a great forum with some very nice, helpful members.

A new forum based in Australia is:

http://www.pinball.com/phpBB/

I believe this forum is run by the person who purchased the production rights to the Bally pinball label. This company may at some time provide some competition to Stern with some new machines.
    Mike
    Arnold The Terminator Sheep, the baaaddest sheep in the whole damn town, plays only Star Wars, ROBOCOP, and Sakura Pachinkos in CA.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love both pinball and pachinko for the art...graphics, lights, sound. Obviously your pinball score is a combination of skill and luck...with the former dominant. Pachinko is, as rupan once said so eloquently, a Zen experience...and allows more passuve unwinding with the machine doing the entertaining.

Pinball is, for me, an emotional experience...I get ANGRY sometimes, and quite satisfied at other times. I play when I'm ready to battle the machine.

If I'm not ready for battle, Pachinko sometimes lets me win with very little effort, and that can be nice too.

But I posted because I believe (blasphemy alert) that from a graphics and art perspective, some pachinko designers have taken the mantle from America in the design of their machines.

I have been extremely annoyed with Stern's recent "photo shop" design approach on their machines. I can't explain why they don't get designers to do it the older way...actual drawing, painting, and graphic design, not cut-and-paste for everything.

Paragon is my vote for best playfield (and backglass) art (and it's 27 years old):
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=17...=0&picno=28558

As big a fan as I am of Elvis, compare Stern's effort for the King:
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=49...=0&picno=28171

To be honest, I think that the Star Wars, Tiger Mask, and Flower Full Bloom (to name three) pachinkos are nicer than the Elvis pin based on art and design.

No pachinko, on the other hand, could ever approach Paragon or Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=27...o=20323&zoom=1 from the art perspective...but obviously the sound, lights, and video on the new Pachinko reflect 27 years of progress.

Finally, there's no doubt that newer pins have far more complicated (and challenging) rule sets and sound. But for me, the end of conventionally screened pinball playfields was the end of the greatest era of pinball art.

My first pinball's playfield: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=51...=0&picno=12853

And if you have a moment, look at the other pictures on ipdb (noting that some aren't in the best condition any more).

Love all, buy all!
    [D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Traditional Pinball

Since we're talking about Pinball here I thought I would mention a good Pinball video game I've been playing for the past week or two.

It's called Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.

I got the PS2 version for $5 at Best Buy but it also available for the XBox, Game Cube and PSP, It useualy goes for about $10-$20 and is defiantly worth it.

It has 7 tables from the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s plus some unockables like a love tester a fortune teller, tournament scoring and more.

All games can be played with 3 or 5 balls and with 1-4 players.

Each game has a goal to beat to unlock one of the extras, each one also has the original sales flyer game history and how to.

Here are the different ones it comes with,
    Ace High
    Central Park
    Big Shot
    Genie
    Black Hole
    Victory
    Tee'd Off

I've had allot of different PB video games and this one is one of my favorites.
    This game is definitely worth the money.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Much as I don't like to disagree with you Arby, I disagree! Some of the pinball machines I've played had great gameplay, with lots of mini games, jackpots and super jackpots, where you have to aim the ball up a specific ramp in order to set it off. I like all sorts of games, hence I've got a Space Shuttle pinball, Monopoly quiz machine, JSR pachislo, Star Wars pachinko and proper old pub pool table. For me, it extends the life of all the machines and keeps things varied. Plus I get to play with different sized balls from time to time, which is always a bonus.
    Mike that is OK, My wife disagrees with me all the time I must say it has been a long time since I played pinball 1960s.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love my old Bally "Freedom" pinball machine. It is an electro-mechanical machine made in 1976 that I have owned since 1981. I have replaced a number of light bulbs, and all of the rubbers several times, but have not needed a major repair since I got it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I expect to see all you Pinball Wizards at the convention! We have a thread going about this here :

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8680

It looks like we will have a few pachitalk.com members there

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A cooperative effort with Russian developers resulted in this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0000BVGLD

No one has approximated the play of the old electromechanicals as well as this product does, and it includes two solid state machines, notably Haunted House. BTW, the reviewer that wrote "the graphics and detail are not the greatest" was, uh, wrong IMO.

The machines in this sim changed Gottlieb's fortunes (and the pinball world); the first flipper pinball is here, as are good examples from the history of the game.

Of course, on other threads you can learn about the world of Visual Pinball, which (after some hassle to install) will let you play simulations of hundreds of machines written by enthusiasts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ocpachinko
    ......Of course, on other threads you can learn about the world of Visual Pinball, which (after some hassle to install) will let you play simulations of hundreds of machines written by enthusiasts.
    They now claim the "hassle to install" has been eliminated. Here is the info on an free install package :

Automatic Installer for a complete VisualPinball & VisualPinMAME setup. Very easy to use, installs in seconds with just a few mouseclicks. Contains all misc. files needed (like VBS, Fonts, Samples, etc.) and installs them into the right directories automatically. Only Tables and ROMs are needed additionally.
    Here is the download url (thanks go to Pinball Nirvana - a member of pachitalk.com for providing this) :

http://pinballnirvana.com/index.php?name=UpDownload

(Download the Visual Install Pack - in the Last Added Downloads Area)
    Last edited by azlew; 01-03-2006 at 05:17 PM.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to azlew

Thanks
    Thanks Received

has been my favorite pc pin. sim hands down since I lean towards the old era machines. Thanks azlew for the updated easy install. I still had the old version on my comp.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there ANYTHING Azlew doesn't know ? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ocpachinko
    Is there ANYTHING Azlew doesn't know ? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Traditional Pinball

I have 9 pinball games, 5 are electronic and 4 are the old electromechanicals with the chimes and bells, 23 Pachislos and 13 Pachinkos and 1 motorcycle arcade game. We are in an active adult community and the over 55 people who live here and visit for a party play the pinball machines more than anything else. The grandchildren like Pachinko and Pachislo about the same, but the older boys are getting good at pinball and love to use the flippers to launch the ball up the ramps and rails. My granddaughter likes the Sega Hang On motorcycle loop. The 30 year old children of some of our residents really like the newer pin games and they seem to like the vintage Pachinkos too. Anyone who visits and remembers the older EM's play those more than anything else. The younger generation just looks at the 1962 Seeburg jukebox and they think that a 45 record is just weird. I guess it all depends on age and what you grew up with and what kind of memories they all bring back. I enjoy them all since everyone of the game styles is different. Frank A, Jackson, NJ
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great Stuff Frank!

Thanks for sharing!

You have any pics posted anywhere of your collection?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have lots of pictures, but don't know how to get them into the forum. I can send them to an e-mail address with Picasa if you want to send me a PM. Frank A
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Stuey, I have same game in the PSP edition, Pball anywhere! It has a nice 'front end' I am looking for a similar front end for a possible MAME project.
    The Mrs. has mentioned she would want to add Pinball to our game room , once I move the wood shop out and expand it into the rest of the basement. I personally would rather have 2 pinballs than 10 3rd rate pachislo. I am starting to appreciate certain special items rather than many of any one type. I don't have time to play cruddy games, so I am concentrating on 'keepers' now.
    I don't want to offend anyone my first pachislo I bought I was impressed with it because it was different than anything I owned before and it is still fun but not a first string player anymore. it is still great for when guest drop by everyone gets a machine to play.and they can change to a different one incase their luck is not good.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast