Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone found a really good scratch remover for the reel glass?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Anyone found a really good scratch remover for the reel glass?

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    Soft and clean is the answer. And, yes, the cloth does make a difference. Old, well washed absorbent cotton like the diapers or T-shirts are best. It's not critical with the #3, but when you get down to the #2 and want it perfect, the cloth becomes important not to put fine scratches on the plastic.
    I see. So soft and clean is the answer. Doesn't leave much room for rough and dirty, now, does it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Has anyone tired Mer car polish? I find that the softest Microfibre clothes are great for polishing plastic and chrome!! You can get 3 different types in one pack at 99P stores in the UK.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Those diapers (or nappys as we call them here) certainly worked well...but be sure to use new and unused ones (I certainly will next time). Now I need some different advice. Does anyone know how to get rid of brown skid marks from the machine? Sure, there are no fine scrathes, but I'm sure I can see a faint browness on my JSR and it might just be my imagination, but I seem to be able to catch a distinct wiff of poo in the air.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    You got my vote for what ever you run for, I think you not only could handle it, but have it end up better than any one thought.

Use #3 first and little is alway best, work across the scratch till it is darn near faint. Than clean with warm water and mild soap to get all the #3 off, this is a must.
    Now use #2 (no pun intended) and work it 90 degrees across the other way, again little and work it. After you think you got it good. Wipe and polish with a clean soft cloth, get all the #2 film off. Look to see how it went, redo any or all steps to do any better.
    The key here is time and elbow grease, stay away from a polisher machine, will get to hot and burn the plastic.

As Granfather said "wipe on . . . wipe off . . . . . many times Damsel"
    :biggthump

Ok. So what's all the excitement about? Well, after reading your post AC, I asked b/f (ok, bribed/guilted/threatened) to try your method with the polishes we already have (Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Meguiar's Auto Cleaner Liquid) on a machine that we're giving to someone tomorrow, since the Novus products won't get here until after X-mas. It's a Machine Gun Santa and it came with 5 horrible 8" diagonal scratches that you could feel with your fingernail right across the reel glass (from the Max Bet button right on up to the upper right hand corner). He sat down with a clean old diaper (Birdseye Weave, I believe) and those two products, and followed what you said. AMAZING! It is SO much better now. The Novus products would probably have done an even better job, but this is at least a 90% improvement. I hated the thought of giving it as a gift with such horrible scratches right in front of the reels. B/F did a great job!! Now I'm so happy, I just pinched HIS butt, and smiled...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pfurman

Now I'm so happy, I just pinched HIS butt, and smiled...
    Dang, must be nice. the last time that happened to me, I had to sleep on the couch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dang, must be nice. the last time that happened to me, I had to sleep on the couch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm... not according to this thread, Scooby:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8318

Thanks
    Thanks Received

. . . . Now I'm so happy, I just pinched HIS butt, and smiled...

The last time I got my butt pinched was amsterdam in 1974ish. I was were good boys don't go It sure was nice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    Ummm... not according to this thread, Scooby:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8318

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, Arby & Slotter & Mike, if you all had been here I might have just pinched yer butts as well I was so happy! In fact, I'm even happier now. You know that old expression, "Give a small child a hammer and s/he suddenly discovers the whole world needs hammering"...Well, b/f decided that if it worked on Machine Gun Santa, it would probably work on some other problem machines as well. He brought the belly glass of Speed Racer back from the great scratched beyond; removed some nasty white vertical scratches/marks in the Rocky USA reel glass; and totally did a number on our Don Don King. That poor machine had more scratches on the top lens than it had smooth surface. But now...oh baby...it looks brand new. He did SUCH a good job...now it's time for his reward!!

Nite nite, good pachi people.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Has anyone tried Novus on gold finish machines like speed racer? My speed racer finish is trashed.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you will loose the gold finish you will polish it off with #3

13. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, ...now it's time for his reward!!

Nite nite, good pachi people.

COOL!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

NOVUS is probalby the best, but I found a couple products at my local Automotive store that have been working great for me.

1) Blue-Magic Plastic and Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover

2) Meguiars PlastX - Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish

They both work well. The Blue Magic in thinner and runny, and the PlastX is more like chrome polish.

I apply both with a Micro-Fiber dish scrubbing clothes and I take it off with a clean Micro-Fiber Towel. No probems with residual scratches.

Both of these products work miracles on fine scratches and crud. They'll get a larger scratch, but it takes patience and elbow grease.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko
    NOVUS is probalby the best, but I found a couple products at my local Automotive store that have been working great for me.

1) Blue-Magic Plastic and Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover

2) Meguiars PlastX - Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish

They both work well. The Blue Magic in thinner and runny, and the PlastX is more like chrome polish.

I apply both with a Micro-Fiber dish scrubbing clothes and I take it off with a clean Micro-Fiber Towel. No probems with residual scratches.

Both of these products work miracles on fine scratches and crud. They'll get a larger scratch, but it takes patience and elbow grease.
    Found similar results with Meguiar's Scratch-X, also at automotive store. About the same price as Novus for 7 ounces, minus shipping cost. Now, if I could only find a solution for chipped or peeling chrome. But I don't think there's going to be a real easy solution for that one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dalto
    Has anyone tried Novus on gold finish machines like speed racer? My speed racer finish is trashed.
    We were able to get off some sort of crud from our Arra King belly glass gold trim with the Turtle Wax polishing compound. Nothing else worked. Instead of a nice, even gold finish it looked more like a marbled/antique gold sort of finish. Now it looks normal again. Also, was able to remove white hazy scratches all over the Speed Racer belly glass without damaging the gold chrome trim using the Turtle Wax polishing compound. Now the colors are very rich and vibrant. Amazing. Just go easy; I don't think this is an "elbow grease" area. (Sometimes it takes a strong, firm touch; other times, a nice, easy touch, to get the job done, if ya know what I mean. And I think most of you do.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now, if I could only find a solution for chipped or peeling chrome. But I don't think there's going to be a real easy solution for that one.
    I have found nothing for chipped or peeling chrome, but to have the piece fully stripped and re-dipped in chrome. Can be very costly. Once the chrome loose it's bond to the plastic, it will keep peeling. Someone on the board was going to try "Hard Nails" clear nail polish. It might work, my wife uses it and I think her nails counld stop a Squd Missle.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year
    May you get what you want and give want you can
    … A little ArBy True-ism…

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    I have found nothing for chipped or peeling chrome, but to have the piece fully stripped and re-dipped in chrome. Can be very costly. Once the chrome loose it's bond to the plastic, it will keep peeling. Someone on the board was going to try "Hard Nails" clear nail polish. It might work, my wife uses it and I think her nails counld stop a Squd Missle.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year
    May you get what you want and give want you can
    … A little ArBy True-ism…
    Hard Nails, eh? I guess that's what happened to yer shirt. (My daughter uses some sort of hair spray and I joke with her that it could probably stop a bullet. Heheh)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Has anyone had any experience with plastic polishes that claim to help remove or at least reduce visible scratches, particularly in the reel glass area?

P.
    Novus Plastic scratch system, there are 3 grits so for bad scratched you can go all the way to # 3 and back (better to try with finer grits first).

I find that Gel-Gloss (spray), a one step cleaner and polish works well on most surfaces, includin plastic and chromed plastic (and metal) for buffing up a shine (it adds wax and is very similar to (or perhaps the same thing as) what we used to use to clean and buff up pinball machine decks in the late 70's and early 80's.

For really cleaning up badly pitted chrome (on metal base) or even old brass pachinko nails, I use either AutoSol Metal Polish (which works the best of the toothpaste tube typ polishes) or Mother's Chrome Polish.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To really put a shine on the colored plastic parts of your machines, try Pledge Furniture Polish. It really makes the plastic look good and fills in and hides the very fine scratches.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast