Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volume Control, Machines that need it, ones that don't

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Volume Control, Machines that need it, ones that don't

I wanted to start this thread because when I bought my machines I wish I got the dealer to put in volume control in some of the machines, but some don't really need them. So hopefully with this thread you'll know which machines really need volume control, which don't and which you can get away with unpluging some of the speakers. Let's hear about your machines!

Here are mine!!

Austin Powers: This game needs it, it's ok in regular rounds, but once into the Big bonus rounds look out!!

Neo Planet T : One of the few machines where the volume controls work very well. You don't need to spend the extra money.

King Camel : This is one of those in between machines. If you disconnect the lower speaker this machine is passable in the home for volume. I put a L-pad on the lower speaker and love it, it gives the sound more base and sounds great with not to much volume. So you can go either way with KC

Those are my opinions,
    Cheers,
    James

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to vespacar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume Control, Machines that need it, ones that don't

Good thinking Batman! Very useful bit of information. For my part, and before the others get in with their huge list of machines they own or have played, Jet Set Radio certainly needs volume controls.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here goes based on what I've owned:
    Time Park is very pleasant volume-wise, I play that one when my kids are sleeping.
    Golgo 13 will wake the dead in bonus rounds.
    Outlaw's volume settings are in a menu, no mod. needed.
    Mojuo (Super Animal King) is very loud and has some animal sound effects that are very harsh.
    Babel: loud but tolerable

To my ears it's not a just a matter of volume, but if a machne has a particular sound that is annoying. The screaming vulture in the Super Animal King is just horrible.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to chrisg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a Sinbad Adventure and A Beast Sapp. A volume control in both of these games would be a good idea. Very loud even the lowest position.
    Hope this helps.
    Chris

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chrisdice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My King Camel could definitely use them; even with cotton balls in the speakers, it is still too loud.
    My Batman pachinko on the other hand, was deafening, but with cotton balls is now quite listenable. I just ordered the Syscom volume controls anyway; 5 for $15.00 will cover the three speakers for the King Camel, and the 2 for the Batman.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My experience

Anything made by Sammy, Rodeo, or Aristocrat. MUST have good volume controls to be allowed in my house.

Yamasa, Eleco, Bellco and Olympia machines are a little too loud for my taste, but a few days can be tolerated as long as they are not played when others are trying to rest

Pioneer machines are Ok in the lowest position, but much nicer if you replace the medium volume resistor with higher value to create an extra-low position

I've yet to find a Pachislo that wasn't nicer to play with volume controls installed.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is interesting. None of my Pachislos have added volume controllers. Only one of my pachinkos has vol contols and that is STAR WARS (arby added those). I think it may be a generation thing(you young uns' always have had tender ears)....the older I get the louder I want things I guess....what?

I see it now : Next time I go to my Doctor I will be asking for the volume control mod for my ears so I can hear things louder. But then I will have to get the Pachislos/pachinkos modded also so I can turn them down.

Hmmm I think I will just stay the way I am....what?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I recently purchased a Bingo II. I installed two Radio Shack 25 ohm, 3 watt, 20% tolerance rheostats in order to better control the volume. Unfortunately, I can't really detect a big, if any change in the volume control. Can you please advise me as to what I might have done wrong? Should I have used different rating potentiometers? There are three prongs on the potentimeter. I used the center and the one to the right. Would that make a difference? Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Volume Control, Machines that need it, ones that don't

Heres ones that dont need a Volume Controls added since there are already Volume Controls Built in :

Doronjyo Heiwa
    Inoki Heiwa

Super BlackJack NET
    Wanted NET
    Neo Magic Pulsar Yamasa
    Neo PlanetT Yamasa

Mike : )
    - Owner Video Game Connection -
    -" ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO SWITCH “-

14. The following user says "Thanks" to vgc

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's my advice anything made by IGT or Sammy(They make Rodeo and Aristcrat machines as well). Use an adjustable volume control as the one installed is useless. For me this is Kaze no Yojimbo, Speed Racer and Austin Powers.

Older Yamasa machines and Eleco machines like Beast Sapp, Sindbad, Monkey Magic, HH use a simple resistor to lower the volume than use the built-in volume control to adjust it.

Newer Yamasa(The ones with 10 volume levels) and NET machines work fine with built-in volume control. For me this is Neo Magic Pulsar, Kin of King Pulsar, Tekken and Deka Dan.
    Dalto
    -----

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quick rundown;

Babel & Hanabi Hyakkei - Need Volume Controls added.

Deka Dan & Mogu Mogu - Both have built in Digital Volume Controls (Net)

Azteca Legend Returns (Silver) - Has built-in digital volume controls. Mine
    worked although others say theirs didn't.

King Camel - Bought with contols added but I have the top controls turned
    up fully and the bottom speaker turned down just enough to get
    rid of the static hiss.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

25 ohms is not enough to drop the volume down as much as you need. You either need a 250 or 500 ohm pot, or add a 50 ohm resistor in series with the 25 ohm pot. A 25 ohm pot is great for fine tuning, but you need to get pretty close to the right volume level with a resistor 1st, and the 25 ohm pot will never allow you to "turn it all the way down" it will just get a little quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by wripka
    I recently purchased a Bingo II. I installed two Radio Shack 25 ohm, 3 watt, 20% tolerance rheostats in order to better control the volume. Unfortunately, I can't really detect a big, if any change in the volume control. Can you please advise me as to what I might have done wrong? Should I have used different rating potentiometers? There are three prongs on the potentimeter. I used the center and the one to the right. Would that make a difference? Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

18. The following user says "Thanks" to cwstnsko

Slough, the home town of Supermarionation
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got my two Thunderbirds yesterday & the Pachislo is fine as long as you switch the volume control to the lowest setting. The Pachinko is really loud & needs ether cotton balls or a tissue folded in layers to muffle it a bit.
    I come & go as I please (only if I really want to).

20. The following user says "Thanks" to MrJim

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In desperate need of volume controls:

#1: POPEYE. It's not just loud; it's dangerous to your hearing loud.

2. Hello Santa - Very loud, especially in bonus round. Disconnecting third speaker/subwoofer helped, but still needs 3 volume controls to get the best, balanced sound.

3. Nidaime Goemon - Waaaay too loud, even more so in bonus round.

4. Beast Sapp/Sinbad Adventure/Hanabi Hayakei - Barely tolerable as is; much more enjoyable controlled.

5. King Camel/Mo Juoh - Similar to Hello Santa. Passable with third speaker disconnected; down right awesome with proper volume controls.

6. Speed Racer - Typical Sammy whine without volume controls, although stuffing cotton balls between speakers and grill did help until we got the vol controls installed.

7. Slotter Kintaro - Loud/whiny Rodeo machine; much better with vol controls

8. Panic Saurus - A Yamasa without really good vol controls, especially in Bonus Round.

9. Thunderbirds/Arra King (Both from Fuji) - As Tulsa said elsewhere, T-Birds is a "poster child" for vol control.

10. Aztec Legend

11. Terminator

Machines great just the way they are:

1. All Takasago models. They have excellent volume controllers, although their reels tend to whine and cause the whole cabinet to groan/vibrate

2. Neo Planet - Perfect volume controls, although the reel noise is a P.I.T.A.

3. King of Kings Pulsar - Nothing fancy; just fine as is.

4. Dracula Rx - NET machine but different vol controls than SBJ & Deka Dan (But no odd sounds either. See below).

5. Aztec Legend Returns (Menu controlled/saveable vol control)

6. Tekken

7. Thunder V2

8. Nobunaga No Yabo (IGT)

Machines that have volume controls but are "all or nothing" - either too loud, or too quiet:

Most Heiwa machines, including Ougonshin, Doronjyo, & Inoki. When they are at 0, they're too quiet. But turning just to 1 becomes too loud. I'm thinking about just adding one Syscom vol control to the subwoofer, and see if that helps. That's the speaker that really raises the volume.

Machines that have good volume control but have "oddities" related to their sound systems (Note: Sammy whine not included here)

The two NET machines we have that incorporate the "two buttons next to the coin slot" (Super Blackjack and DekaDan). They both produce this sort of "swishing" sound that we don't hear on any other machines. It's not really a hiss, or a whine. And I'm wondering if adding vol controls will help eliminate that somewhat annoying sound.
    Last edited by pfurman; 12-22-2005 at 08:38 PM.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pfurman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I must have sensitive ears or something. ALL my machines, both Pachislo and Pachinko were uncomfortable to me without having the volume controls.

(I take that back... Don Don King does not have a control, that's my only exception.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    I must have sensitive ears or something. ALL my machines, both Pachislo and Pachinko were uncomfortable to me without having the volume controls.

(I take that back... Don Don King does not have a control, that's my only exception.)
    Funny; I thought the same thing until we put our Don Don King in a room that's next to our neighbor's 5 year old's room (we live in a townhouse). All of a sudden, we realized it played too loud to play at night while their son was asleep. But when we had it in the living room it sounded fine, although "kickin"!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did a non-permanent volume control installation on the bottom speaker in my King Camel. I got one of the American Syscom volume controls and soldered a wire on each side that ended in an alligator clamp. I disconnected the positive wire from the speaker lead terminal and clamped one wire from the volume controller on this lead terminal, and the other on the positive wire. It works just fine, and if I ever want to undo it, just disconnect the alligator clamps and reconnect the speaker wire to the positive terminal.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to steam furnace

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by steam furnace
    I did a non-permanent volume control installation on the bottom speaker in my King Camel. I got one of the American Syscom volume controls and soldered a wire on each side that ended in an alligator clamp. I disconnected the positive wire from the speaker lead terminal and clamped one wire from the volume controller on this lead terminal, and the other on the positive wire. It works just fine, and if I ever want to undo it, just disconnect the alligator clamps and reconnect the speaker wire to the positive terminal.

Good idea, I'll keep that in mind when I do my next conversion, to bad I just did all my machines last week!!

Cheers,
    James

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pfurman
    The two NET machines we have that incorporate the "two buttons next to the coin slot" (Super Blackjack and DekaDan). They both produce this sort of "swishing" sound that we don't hear on any other machines. It's not really a hiss, or a whine. And I'm wondering if adding vol controls will help eliminate that somewhat annoying sound.
    I've wondered how to describe that sound and that's as good as any I could come up with. I believe this to be some interference with the video the speakers are picking up. Since it has great volume controls built in I've never added any external and might do so to help reduce this effect but I'll bet the internal control will have to be set higher or you'll lose some of the sound effects that are so nice on these models.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Newer Yamasa machines, i.e. Tekken, King of King Pulsar can be made very quiet by simply turning the bottom speakers to 0 and the top speakers to 1. The 10 position dual volume controls in these models are superior to any I have seen.
    Dalto
    -----

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast