Thread: Help! Can't open my new Hanabi Hyakkei! - Lock jammed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exclamation Help! Can't open my new Hanabi Hyakkei! - Lock jammed.

No, I didn't lose the key. ;-)

I was opening the new machine fine last night and this morning, I changed the volume switch, closed the door (which requires a bit of a push) and boom I couldn't get it open again. The key works in the tumbler (can turn left, and can start to turn right), but when turning clockwise or right to unlock the machine it hits a hard stop and won't go any further or open.

There's no opening in the bottom of the machine, a couple of small holes in back, one of which through I can just see the top latch (I think). I've tried gently fishing around the latch with a wooden dowel, but no luck.

Any ideas on how it may have jammed or ideas to get it open?

Also, when it plays, the reels spinning is rather loud - kind of scratchy (louder than I remember North American Slots) is this normal? Fixes?

Thanks in advance,
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help! Can't open my new Hanabi Hyakkei! - Lock jammed.

It sounds like something is out of place inside the machine which is binding the door. Try gently pushing the door closed more as you turn the key. When you get it open, check for something out of place. I.E. - the hopper or reel cage.
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for the price that I told her I payed for them............. *DDK - Neo Planett - Thunder - Vintage Pachinko*

Thanks
    Thanks Received

try lifting the bottom on the door as you turn the key,

check the door edge to see if its is closed all the way or just on the top or bottom.

if it doesn't look even press on the door to get it to snap into place.

sometimes if the door isn't closed all the way it will jam like this.

you can also check your reel cage when you get it open to see if it's not loose or binding on anything.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you all! Before checking the forum again I tried squeezing the door closed all along the frame and that did it! The door musn't have been closed all the way (but most of the way). How do you close these guys properly? Gingerly closeing them caused the jam (I think).

Also, I noticed that one of my reels is rubbing and another has a ball of plastic floating in it (rolling around in it) which is causing some of the noise.

More later once I figure out how to get the reels off (I see some instructions further in).
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another Happy Pachitalk Member
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I received a machine with a piece of plastic inside one reel. It had come free from somewhere during shipment. I removed it and runs fine and a lot quieter without it. The reels weren't seated fully on that same machine and I firmly pushed them in to seat and works like new now. To close the door you may need to lift slightly when closing so everything lines up and closes firmly.
    Never met a Pachi I didn't like!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I've got the hang of the door closing now. I wish there was a repair manual, I am the type that likes to make sure everything is working and I'm suspicious of the reel leds (one reel is a bit darker than the rest). Anyone know how to spec these things out for this machine?

I'm also curious about reel placement as it seems like one reel is coming up a bit lower than the others.

Lastly, reel noise. Now it's setting down to a whine, not quite as loud as a meat grinder, but a distinctive humm as the motors turn the reels (definitely louder than NA machine reels). Is this normal? Can the motors be lubricated (should they, and how?)

Thanks everyone, this forum has been so much help!

P.S. This game is terrific! Quite entertaining, and love the "hints" it gives.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First the reel height , My machines reels were out of alignment when i got my machine because they forced a token loading tube through the back in the parlor . i had to take out the reels and line up the self that was bent underneath . after that it was fine as for reel noise its probably normal unless it sounds like fingers on a chalkboard. if the reel is physically lower symbol wise then you need to take off the reel from the reel assy. and adjust the photo sensor up a bit so it detects the opening on the reel collar a bit sooner stopping the reel sooner (fun procedure takes time to get it aligned right).if you need better more detailed instructions feel free to msg me at alstonj1@comcast.net .
    Jeff

10. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, you're the best. When I get a chance I'll take a look (I imagine it's the photo sensor - luckily the far right reel is the easiest to remove). I'll write if I need help.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The LEDs in the reel have had some issues on these machines going out. There is another post regaurding the issue and it looks as if someone came up with a fix. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7734
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff,

The reel motors sound like a slightly more quiet BBQ spit, that same sort of electromechanical strain (or high pitched grind), and the pitch varies when they start up (as if the motors labouring to come up to speed). I guess I'll have to go visit another live machine to see if this is normal - I find it loud, I'm rather more used to the whoosh of North american reels. It seems even louder now that my volume mod is in.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

id say thats a good estimation of the sound mine makes i forgot what the sound of a rotisery was till you mentioned it but it does sound like that .... most likely normal sound .
    Jeff

15. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Many thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no problem anytime the doors open .........
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great to see that you got the door problem fixed!.
    Now that that the door is working you should take a screwdriver
    and tighten all the screw's in your machine.
    You find that most of them need to be tightened.
    I found that after you tighten all the screw's the door shuts better
    and the noise and vibration are cut down a bit!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to watcher

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wepsherpa ,
    Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner , Your correct the elco model doesn’t have the photo sensors on the reel so it must be operated the old fashion way the stepper motor knows its position by means of a pot built into the motor assembly (bad news no real adjustment here) . Judging from the markers on my reels id say your suggestion is probably correct you may indeed have to take off the reel strip and adjust its position. They are probably matched sets and the odd ball came from another machine during cleaning. My machine came with the left and center reels reversed was paying all kinds of weird combinations so I compared the reels to the ones on big bears manuals on his site and found them to be in the wrong position . if I were you I’d mark where the strips are now with a sharpie on the reel and then move the strip up or down what ever is needed and remark the other side of the reel when your satisfied with the position . good luck keep me informed . Jeff
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting. We had a problem with our Hanabi Hayakei not closing properly also. Then b/f noticed that the reel assembly wasn't centered properly in the window. He loosened the screw that holds the assembly in place, shifted it about an inch or so to the right, and not only did it make it perfectly centered, it resolved the door closing problem. Apparently they're very sensitive machines when it comes to the reel assembly and opening/closing the door. Sounds like you've got it straightend out now, though. But maybe this will help somebody else.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to pfurman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the insight. On my machine the door closing issue seemed to be related to my naivete regarding how best to close them (I did have to move my reel a little to the left to center them). I found that pushing the door hard in released enough tension for me to open it.

Since then, I always turn the key clockwise (open) first when I'm closing the door, push the door all the way tight then release the key and have had no problems since.

My machine came with an overflow box and the punchout on the bottom (where overflow coins drop into a more central parlor collector) was not cut open, so I didn't have anywhere I could put my hand to open the machine if the key is lost. So I will be attaching that key to the machine with a bungee key ring so that it doesn't get lost.