Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Start Of PachiTalk : Big Bang or Creator Theory?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Start Of PachiTalk : Big Bang or Creator Theory?

Aren't we close to the anniversary of the founding of PachiTalk?

Could some of you who were here for the beginning, tell the newer members how PachiTalk was started? Looks like about a dozen or so current PachiTalk members belonged to an earlier forum?

I've read posts that are very vague on the subject, referring to "the old way", "the old forum", "the other site", a "pay site", and a "forum war". Could it be some of you were rebels in a revolution prior to our current Contest thread Revolution?

Mike
    Mike
    Arnold The Terminator Sheep, the baaaddest sheep in the whole damn town, plays only Star Wars, ROBOCOP, and Sakura Pachinkos in CA.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to sacpinplayer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Start Of PachiTalk : Big Bang or Creator Theory?

no wonder they are trying to destroy us!!!
    they have done it in the past to others as well!!!!

sorry seriously.. i wish to know too..
    good topic mike

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

By golly, you're RIGHT!!!
    I just checked some of our "Member Since" dates, and sure 'nuff...
    November 15th was my anniversary. (Along with David, Tulsa, and others)

And nobody sent me flowers!

I know that a few of us were here before the "official" launch, since I believe that was over Thanksgiving week?

But, I'll let the boss fill you in on all of the particulars.

We need to have a PARTY!!!
    WOOHOO!!!
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

PARTYTIME!!! YEEHAH.
    Everyone over to Logic's place!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    PARTYTIME!!! YEEHAH.
    Everyone over to Logic's place!!!!

**Checks Logic's machine collection**

**Makes a fast run to the next airport**
    Player, not collector. ドルドル箱yo~~~!
    Check out my journal for translated pachinko guides and manuals.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

His wife is a great cook too!
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachitalk's first birthday is posted on the calender.

It started with a small spark and burst into a bonfire in no time

I'm proud to be one of the first few to leave the old way and hook up to this great site
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well a long time ago in a far away land Two disatified men said "There has to be something better" . . . . .
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a note, the official birthday of PachiTalk is Wednesday 23rd. That was the day we opened the doors to others outside of the inner circle. Nov 15th was the date we first fired this puppy up. A few noted people were invited to take a look.

The Story of PachiTalk

The story began in July 2004 in an email conversation between David R. and myself. Both of us belonged to another site
    hereafter referred to as "the old way". The "oldway" was run by a crook but it was were we all began, where the original members
    came to know one another. Where I introduced Arby to pachinko.

Most of the people you see known as admins or moderators here still have their names blazoned as the highest ranking posters on the
    "oldway". The site basically died when we left. David R. was the first to leave and that happened sometime around August
    2004. I was next but stayed on until my current cycle of payment ran out in mid October.

Back to July 04. In a discussion of some of the ways that the owner of that site was ripping people off by using many different eBay
    names and showing pictures of slots with bandit arms but not providing anything remotely like he pictured we became disgruntled about the whole affair. In an off-handed comment I made to David that we should start our own site and sell some machines off of it to offset the cost and there would be no need to charge the membership.

David quizzed me about the idea some more and I mentioned I used to run a BBS in the old days of 300/1200 baud modems and I had that site for 3 years. I didn't really have any true inclination at the time to run a site any longer. After all, I had a life.

Enter Aslew. I say enter for the purpose of this story as Lew is the oldest active member of any of us to the "oldway", #3 on
    that list of members. Lew and I had kicked around an idea of letting the world know the truth about pachi's and knock-offs and he
    helped persuade me into writing a book on buying pachi's that was for sale for a short time on eBay. I still thank his lady friend Enid
    for the editing of that book. So this began the push for truth, justice and the pachi dream. This really is all very noble.

During and after the book, David had kept after me to start the site. I just kept putting the idea off. I had no working knowledge of html or websites or what to do or how to do it. David did but my lack of this knowledge kept me from pulling the trigger.

So around the beginning of Oct 04, David who had been off of the official paying membership of the "oldway" but had been able to get in through the back door. When this was finally caught and canceled and he could not get into the message base. This was my trigger.

I received an email from David telling me he could no longer get in and sent back to him, "Let's do it".

We began work right away on the concepts behind the board. David was working the base board up and I begin work on the flash opening. We used the free software of phpbb and the "oldway" was using the same software. We didn't want to look just like them so our color scheme begin to develop. I can't remember which one of us came up with the final name "PachiTalk" as we kicked around so many different possibilities but suffice it to say "PachiTalk" was what we settled on.

We began this site to offer a "FREE" place for people to chat and learn about our favorite home hobby. A place where no one would be slimed out of their hard earned dollars. A place where people could converge and know the information they received was right as rain. No hidden agendas. Just the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

We did put up an ad as opposed to selling machine because neither David or myself really enjoyed the idea of selling machines or bothering to ship them. So we used a Google ad. We did make a few dollars off the site from the advertising and reinvested it back into the site in this upgrade of the current software we are running. Always to make this place the best it could be. Over time I've learned this software and the manipulation enough to do some hacks that are for the betterment of the site.

We still do not charge nor do we accept donations. We are remaining to stay true to the birth behind the idea and the ideal. WE SHALL BE FREE!

David might have a bit to offer on this subject also as I myself would enjoy his additions to this text on the eve or our anniversary.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

11. The following 46 users say "Thanks" to Tulsa

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lets just say that the administrate of that old way (Pachislocity) Was greedy and two good members here told him greed should not be apart of a pachi forum and there was a better way and as Arby said the rest is history! Now we are going to have our first anniversary and with the new mod that Tulsa just did we keep getting better! We past up the old way the first week we were up and running!

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tulsa,

You didn't leave much for me to say. It's accurate and to the point!

I did however influence the name a touch I think in an effort to keep it short and simple as possible.

Pachinko and Pachislo both were already taken. Imagine that! And we wanted to incorporate both machine types and were ARE talking by typing so PachiTalk became the name!

Good write up Tulsa. Should be framed!
    Firewire

15. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great post, Tulsa. Thank you and David for putting it all together! As long as I've been here, I've never heard it explained so eloquently.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tulsa, thanks for the great PachiTalk history lesson. It shall be known as the "Roots" story of the Pachi Nation.

Mike
    Mike
    Arnold The Terminator Sheep, the baaaddest sheep in the whole damn town, plays only Star Wars, ROBOCOP, and Sakura Pachinkos in CA.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by David R.
    I did however influence the name a touch I think in an effort to keep it short and simple as possible.
    I bow to your better memory. It's a great name bud!
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    Great post, Tulsa. Thank you and David for putting it all together! As long as I've been here, I've never heard it explained so eloquently.
    Yes, thanks to both David and Tulsa for having the foresight to start such a great place for us to share our hobby. Here's to you guys, and to all the others who gave a push-start to the forum in the early days, especially Lew for keeping you both in line.

Mike
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, thanks for the story.

When lew posted the site on my club and I, summarily joined, I was wondering how this board came about because most boards are connected to a main site or shopping site but I just couldn't find it...lol.
    Player, not collector. ドルドル箱yo~~~!
    Check out my journal for translated pachinko guides and manuals.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep, rupan777. Just plain frustation started this site.

We even suggested to "the other way" that google ads should pay for the site, but the owner wouldn't listen. Guess he as making too much off the subscription service. I felt we gave it an effort over there and were ignored.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the thing that got me about the old way was how on the front page he advertised "wholesale machine prices" and then you join and he want 2-300 fgor them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, wholesale by what standards? Off the orginal brand new prices??? Crazy. And that was at a time when you could get machines in the $100 range off ebay.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So you joined that forum for a monthly fee and in return you were supposed to receive discount prices on machines from the person/company running the forum?

Mike
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast