Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: L-Pads, more questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: L-Pads, more questions

Quote Originally Posted by websherpa
    One more quick question. (L-Pads are installed, I took some pictures of the procedure, hope to post them soon.)

When I turn the volume of the L-Pads all the way down, they don't cut out completely. Is that normal? I expected them to turn right off so I could play "silently in the night" (well except when I hit the Big Bonus ).

P.S. I've been havin' a hoot with my new Hanabi Hyakkei, great game, so many nuances - and my son keeps hitting bonuses. Gotta love those #6 - 120% odds.
    When I turn my L-PADS down all they way they do not turn the volume off, they do reduce it greatly though. Have you tried turning the factory volume control down as well?
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Dalto, yes, the volume is greatly reduced with the L-Pad turned down (and the machine volume is on the lowest setting - which isn't so bad turned all the way up, but you do hear it throughout the house - we'll keep that setting for gaming night!).

It's just that I expected the L-Pad to reduce it to Nil, but I'm assuming now that this isn't the case. Is there a safe way to have no sound (I haven't done speaker electronics in 25 years so I can't remember - though I know in testing amps, I have used 8 ohm large (hi watts) resistors instead of speakers - I suppose I could switch in one of these - but only if someone knows if it's safe for the amplifier?
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This may be a silly question but aren't the reels and the tokens making more noise than music/sound at this point? Would additional reduction of the volume make a difference?

Also, the machines are significantly less fun without sound IMO.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not a silly question at all. Yes, the reels (and tokens) are more noisey than the sound (in fact I'm worried that the reel motors are too lound, but that's another story - I think that's common with these manchines - this is my first one).

I suppose having no sound would make it that much more quiet (and less fun), I was worried that the familiar sounds of the musical coin drop, etc. would wake my son as his ears perk up the moment he hears me star the machine!
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

heres a suggestion line the room with cork board and weather strip the door . you might just get to play the game with out waking the dog that way .......just kidding ....
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did a check of the reel motors individually and the third reel motor (the one out of position) is much louder than the others, so likely the reels either got dropped (there is a crack on that one too), or hobbled together from a couple machines. My dealer pachislocanada.com has agreed without hesitation to either replace the reel assembly or the machine - we're just working it out now - Dan's been great.

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by v3550
    Try maplins on line hope this link will help
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...2m12&worldid=3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can do a search for resister ladder. It was a while back but you can lower the volume using a combination of resisters. I made some but found the volume L-Pads or small volume in line set and leave to be better. But if you want the sound to go down a little further than the volume control you are using you can add a resister or two to the speaker. Then you can turn it up or all the way down as you see fit. I think this is also with the threads on this. There were pics with parts lists and instructions on how to do it. If you can't find it let me know. I will look for it or find the info I have saved from when I did it.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    You can do a search for resister ladder. It was a while back but you can lower the volume using a combination of resisters. I made some but found the volume L-Pads or small volume in line set and leave to be better. But if you want the sound to go down a little further than the volume control you are using you can add a resister or two to the speaker.
    I nearly did the register ladder version, works like a fixed L-pad.

I have installe dthe L-Pad, no problem, but to get the volume to go down further (shift the resistance up), would I put additional resistance in series with the L-pad or in parralell to it? The pots are put in series (in line) right?
    Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In series.
    Dalto
    -----

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry don't remember. I know the subject was brought up with the ladder threads at one time. I think there was a pic. of it with only one or two resisters before the volume control leads on the speaker. I want to think it was put between the two speaker leads but I would try to find the original thread. I looked and some of the treads are under the resister ladder heading.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

( with out going into detail of ohms law ) parallel will lower, series will add resistance .
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2