Thread: my first machines thanks Big Bear!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up my first machines (thanks Big Bear!)

Hi Folks,

I just got my first machines. I bought a Super Reno for my mom's birthday next week, because she likes Reno and can't get there very often. It's a simple elegant machine that's not too different from what you see in Reno. While I was at it I picked up a Twist for myself.

I was introduced to pachislo through the Rock Bottom Slots infomercial. Yeah, they're scum, but they sure got the ball rolling. I shopped around on eBay for a bit, but then I found Pachitalk, which led to Big Bear.

I can't say enough good things about Gaku at Big Bear. He was very pro-active about my order, and always kept me informed about the latest status via e-mail. My machines arrived well packaged and in great condition - nothing missing or broken. Add to that a great selection, huge game info database, wicked low prices and what's not to love? Big Bear rocks!

My first issue as a new owner was the volume. Reno is OK, but Twist is really loud. Since I am an electrical engineer, I figured it would be a snap to tone it down. After reading numerous threads on the subject yesterday, I decided an L-pad would be best. I picked one up at the local electronics store for 8 bucks. However, it was a lot bigger than I expected. I couldn't find a good place to put the dial where it would be inconspicuous on the front with room for the pad in the back. I really wanted to put the dial in the ashtray (there sure won't be any cigarettes going there), but the speaker got in the way. I ended up tie-wrapping it to the inside door near the hinge, which means you can't adjust it from the outside. I might just go with a small pot with the shaft going down from the shelf above the tray. Next time I'll pony up the extra 20 bucks to have Big Bear do it.

I'm also a bit concerned about leaving it plugged in all the time. Plus, I don't like the idea of opening the door to turn it on and off. I think I'll get one of those Christmas tree cords with a foot pedal switch. Does anyone see a problem with leaving the machine on internally, and switching outside?

Naturally, I have the odds set a max payout. It still took a long time to reach the first bonus. The second time was a lot faster as my eye shooting improved. The small bonus paid jac 8 times in a row during both bonus rounds. That's actually kind of boring. I want to see some variety in the bonus round, so I guess I'd better lower the odds.

I don't want to make a bad first impression, but I think I'll be getting an autostop with credit. I really like the skill aspect, but sometimes I just want to pull the handle and let it happen. My wife wants an arm, but I think I can talk her out of it.

I don't know if or when I'll be getting another machine, but I've already got a wish list:

1) QLogos - I am a board gamer and just love the hex map on the LCD. I haven't seen much written about it though.

2) Fire Drift - Another LCD machine with great video and deep play.

3) Outlaw - Great atmosphere and the play looks as deep as it gets.

4) Super Blackjack - At first, I thought it actually played blackjack, but I guess it's an atmosphere thing.

5) King Camel - Just because it's so funky and seems to be pretty popular around here.

That's it for now. I'll let you know how my mom likes her Super Reno.

Martin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: my first machines (thanks Big Bear!)

Welcome, Martin! My bet is you end up with more than one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!

Yeah the L-PAD is a lot bigger than most expect!

I usually mount mine on the left side of the main cabinet (not the the door). The left for obvious reasons of the speaker wire, but the main cabinet because of the size of the L-Pad and the simple fact that I would rathe drill into MDF than plastic/metal/chrome etc.

Leaving on all the time...since you bought from Big Bear the transformer (if it needed one) won't be an issue. I don't think it would be an issue at all. Unless your electric bill is higher than desired.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Most of us use a power strip to turn off the machines.

Overheated transformers can cause a fire!!!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk, Martin!
    I'll ditto what all the rest said.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found the best way for me and the l-pads was to silicone them into place inside the machine. I don't adjust the volume, I set it and forget it. So a permanent location inside works perfect for me.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

http://www.pachislo.com/img/pachislo...ts/Volume3.jpg

Or, just use the inline little control pots from Syscom? They are my favorite. Easy to install, invisible from the outside and work great.

http://www.pachislo.com/pachislo/par...il/volume.html

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME to PACHILAND, Martin!!! wish you have lots of pachislo to come!!
    Club Rodeo, Hanabi Hyakkei, Super Black Jack, Bulldog, Beast Sapp, Bang Bang Dash, Gamera Hi-grade Vision, Metal Slug, Fire Express

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We've talked about volume controls A LOT on here and I think a couple of us have talked about the sensitivity issue with commonly available pots being too large, so most of the turn range is useless.

Well, at a junk store yesterday I found a sliding pot (slide switch, not rotary) with a max impedance of 200 Ohm. It works lovely. I can't immediately think of a way to mount them outside the cabinet, but I'm sure it's doable.

cmk
    7 Pachislos, 1 vintage Pachinko; ask about 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my machines on constantly but it has a power supply not just a transformer as for power issues ive had mine in the bus a few times demonstrating it to coworkers and it runs fine on a 300 watt inverter so the power drain is really minimal .was thinking of out fitting the bus with 6 or 7 and hitting the flea markets i already have a 2200 watt inverter mounted in the bus would work great .....
    Jeff