Thread: Plasma TV

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Plasma TV

I'm almost finished my family room remodel. We've knocked the top four rows of bricks off the fireplace to accomodate a Plasma TV. I have been looking on line and found a Samsung that seems to have a lot of good specs, but really I have no idea. Does anyone out there have a decent knowledge of these or have a plasma that you either love or hate. Please let me know. The one I have been looking at is in the $2000 range. Any info would help in my decision...thanks!!!
    Dawn

2. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Plasma TV

I know why they call them " Plasma TVs" their cost is so high, you got to sell blood to have one…
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The large 20" ones I got on pachinko machines are Sharp. And they look very good.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    I know why they call them " Plasma TVs" their cost is so high, you got to sell blood to have one…
    Yes, I think you are right about that. My husband backed out of our addition plans and said redecorate this old house as is. I am trying to maximize the living space in the den so I thought Plasma was the way to do that. Haven't mentioned the price to dear hubby yet. I think I'll have to fix him his favorite dinner first.
    Dawn

6. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a plasma in my living room and a LCD in my bedroom. Plasma's dont last as long as LCD so you might want to take that into effect. I was told when we bought ours that plasmas only last 5-8 years as where LCD last 50,000 hrs.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just get a case from a beast sapp and put a 15" LCD tv in it. Gotta involve pachi's somehow!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Samsung that I looked at said it has a 60,000 hour half life.. 27 years at 6 hours per day. Our TV is on about 18 hours per day. What I think is most important to me is the viewing angle. I hate it when you get a great picture looking straight ahead and then lose it altogether when you are to one side or the other.
    Dawn

10. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We run our plasma a lot more than the average 6hrs a day and it's great. I'd definately recommend getting one. The picture is amazing. in the 2000 range is a good price.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have had lots of customers complain that they burn in like the old computer screens: say you have a fox tv emblem on in the corner for 6-8 hours then it is burned into your screen forever!! i have seen this on $1,500 machines and $18,000 units also. so take this into consideration. this will happen if you leave a dvd on pause also. so please do NOT pause your adult videos for too long on plasma tvs.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a projection, so I know little to nothing about them. However, here is a place that should be able to answer all your questions.

http://www.avsforum.com
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ive left my PS2 games on pausee on both of my tv's for hours while ive left the house and no damage.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Our local Walmart had floor model plasma TV's at half price awhile back, they were still to much for my pocketbook.

Check Circuit City, Best Buy etc to make sure you get one that you really like.

All brands are different, Samsung looks like a good one. so does Sharp and Sanyo.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RKnarr01
    I have a plasma in my living room and a LCD in my bedroom. Plasma's dont last as long as LCD so you might want to take that into effect. I was told when we bought ours that plasmas only last 5-8 years as where LCD last 50,000 hrs.
    Right you are my little friend and that's exactly why I will never consider a plasma. All the so called experts say that at first (first couple of years) you will only notice a slight softening of the picture but once you get into the 3-5 year range it will start getting darker and less sharp + there is nothing that can be done about it this comes direct from the CES in Vegas. Basically if you don't mind watching all this happen to your $2000 investment then at least at first it is a terrific picture to have.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys...the purchase has been made. I got a Zenith 42". Double the half life of the past and you get a great picture from any angle. Hubby met me at the store and bought it for me...and I didn't even have to cook for him. It was on sale for $1899.00 and my husband pursuaded them to knock off another $100 for cash & carry. I can't wait to watch the Eagles on it tomorrow!!! Thanks again. Dawn
    Dawn

18. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

what a great price.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations Dattia! Must be nice!
    I have a 19" GOKHO TV in my living room, (GOKHO=God only knows how old).
    Name on the front (I had to go look) is Goldstar. It's so old it has VHF and UHF channel selector knobs. I bought it from a friend 10-15 years ago for $25, who bought it used.
    The d@mn thing still has great color, refuses to die (which may be good) and I refuse to replace it until it does!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a 4 year old Admiral 23 inch bought for 159.00 from Wards when they went out of business.

I do have a 15 inch LCD moniter on my year old computer.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just purchased a 52 in HD wide screen. It is a D-ILA projection by JVC. It is like a DLP but also has a LCD to and does not burn in like the Plasma ones do. It is a brand new format that just came out. I purchased it for a little over $2000.00 after looking around on the net. The picture is as good as any I have ever seen after actually looking at them all playing at Best Buy and compareing. It is also only 17 in deep which is not quite like the old projection one I have.

I LOVE IT!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am really liking this one too. My husband did not want me to hook it up yet, as the room still needs to be mudded and painted. However, the Eagles are playing today and I could not resist... I was looking at DLP, but they were too deep to go over the fireplace. This one is 4 inches deep and the picture is bright and clear. I can't wait until game time!!!
    Dawn

24. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia