Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FIRST

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FIRST

I noticed this post was started a long time ago. When I was ready to buy my first machine I decided to get it on ebay. Most people post really good pictures and you are able to zoom in. I studied different machines and found one with a clean front and I was able to see what parts were missing on the back and checked to see if they were needed or what I had to do to replace them. I bought the machine for $75, shipping was a little cheap but the guy assured me he would pack it well and he did. The machine arrived in perfect shape and I was able to get it working real fast. I bought a light kit cleaned it all up and now sits in my living room and gets used quiet often.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been looking on ebay often, however, haven't purchased a machine off there yet. This thread is very informative... even learned a repair from reading about the tulip problem in tip #5! The negatives are good to know, better to be deadpan than to sugar coat the facts and get burned by a bad purchase. I own two vintage machines that I picked up separately, one at a a swap meet and one at a garage sale, both work great, although dirty. I've been looking on ebay often, however, haven't purchased a machine off there yet. Kudos on this thread!

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to johnnykaye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re:Restoring Pachinkos for fun and profit ... a precautionary tale

Just a friendly tale on my experience with mostly 70's era Pachinkos ... all mechanical with a few electric lights sprinkled in

I am a computer guy so was making stupid (and embarrassing) money when it all began ... but that "stupid money" just didn't last! I must have been the only guy who missed the memo on that one :-)

When I was rabid in buying machines to refurbish I scavenged antique stores, swap meets, garage sales, flea markets, and yes ... eBay.

I drew a personal line in the sand and told myself I would never pay more than $70 for any single machine (including shipping) ... and I tried to be VERY picky.

Well, that went to heck as soon as the Pachinko demon got his hooks into me. I'm too embarrassed to say how many machines I ultimately obtained through one avenue or another, but let's just say I had more machines than I could count on both hands and feet (and I had to grow several more fingers!) .., suffice it to say, I bought A LOT of machines ... most would say WAY TOO MANY!!!

I took 6 months off of work, during which time I spent 12 hour days, acting as a mentor, to the nicest hippy I ever met, and we learned to make these awesome babies look like they were straight from the factory in Japan or better ... and then ...

... as it always seems to happen in my life, the tide turned.

It was if the President and some other ... er dude... who also thought he was still President , turned off the lights! (Or maybe I'm just a fool).

All the sudden, no more interest in these lovingly restored, beautiful works of art. For some unknown reason ;-), I couldn't give them away! My overhead included, the money I spent on (raw) materials, the cash I spent on a studio space to work on these babies (so I could stay married), plus paying my hippy friend, in addition to everything else including the loss of intimate time with my wife that I can never get back!!!! EVER!!!, but I just kept holding on.

Long story short (I know; too late) ... this week, I received a call from a very cool gentleman who happens to spend a LOT of time in various countries, who offered to buy all of my inventory for about 30% over what I shelled out for it in the first place; I was in no mood to dicker, and I was glad to take the offer! Mind you, I will still lose a lot of cash, but to me it was worth stopping the bleeding and an answered prayer.

Funny thing is, I also happened to meet a wholesale Pachislo dealer today, and it turns out that itch is still there!

I sure hope there's a 12 step program for me in my near future!

I guess the moral of my story is to start slow (especially if you have a limited income like me).

The tide turns often for better or worse ... trust me on this one!

Good luck, and please responsibly keep Pachinko and Pachislo alive for many years to come! But more importantly, keep yourselves around!

Thanks to the one or two of you who will take the time to read my rant :-)

~s

6. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to spooner

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I now have 4 machines. 1 I bought off of Craigslist and 3 I bought off of ebay. Shipping is the bear off of ebay. I set a max I would spend for a machine with shipping, knowing shipping would probably be as much as the machine cost. So the 3 I recently purchased all came in at around $95 including shipping. I looked carefully at pics and asked questions. I've put myself on restriction from ebay until I get all of these cleaned and up and running.
    Question... Do any of those $300 machines actually sell??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by davebuckholts View Post
    So I now have 4 machines. 1 I bought off of Craigslist and 3 I bought off of ebay. Shipping is the bear off of ebay. I set a max I would spend for a machine with shipping, knowing shipping would probably be as much as the machine cost. So the 3 I recently purchased all came in at around $95 including shipping. I looked carefully at pics and asked questions. I've put myself on restriction from ebay until I get all of these cleaned and up and running.
    Question... Do any of those $300 machines actually sell??

I bought a $300 machine off ebay (1976 Sankyo), it was fully restored however with the playfield graphics replaced which isn't the case with 99% of ebay pachinkos. I can't justify paying $40-50+ shipping for a ratty, water stained project pachinko when there's plenty of those available locally Most of the unreasonably expensive ones linger on ebay for months. I'm guessing until the seller comes to their senses or sells locally.

CL has the best deals like my $100 working Powerflash!
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 02-29-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do any of those $300 machines actually sell??
    sometimes there are bidding wars.. a few years back there was a power flash that sold for over a thousand...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do any of those $300 machines actually sell??
    Occasionally one will sell. Mr.Al sold a really nice Circuit Racer that was fully restored just a couple days ago. Most of the $300 vintage machines just sit there. The difference is that the machine Mr.Al sold is a little harder to come by than most, is desirable by collectors, and it was restored by an expert restorer. A common 1972 Nishijin with rust, dust, and water stains that was pulled out of someone's attic after 20 years probably will not sell for that price unless someone is not aware of value or they have deep pockets and a strong sense of nostalgia for a particular machine because it's exactly the same one they played as a kid or something along those lines. Most vintage machines actually seem to sell for $50-90 unless they are uncommon and sought after by collectors.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So the 2 machines I bought off of eBay came in last week. Both had some shipping damage. One just had a broken upper ball hopper. I wasn't too surprised about that, they are brittle and kind of stick out a bit I duck taped/glued it together and that machine is playing well. The other machine didn't fair as well. First lesson, have the glass removed prior to shipping. I should have known that. Glass sounds terrible al lbusted in a package. Second, whatever broke the glass was heavy enough to bend the flipper and post. Flipper still operates fine, I just need to straighten them out. I'll start another thread about the two machines.

1458740895_zpspgksbtce.jpg

13. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to davebuckholts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Been a while since anybody has posted here, so here's my two cents worth.
    I've been restoring for about two years now. I'm currently working on my 15th. I buy most of my projects from Craig's List and have set a limit of $50 for any machine.
    I started to sell my machines on eBay last year. My wife and I are big users of eBay. Started out selling 3 machines to a collector from Houston. We were very careful in our packaging and they all arrived safely.
    With that success, I sourced more units and have sold 10 more on eBay.
    I write a very specific add that details all the work I do and take very clear pictures. I have also started making a video of each machine showing what I've done to restore it. These I post to YouTube and the provide a link in my ad. I also offer the service of personal contact by phone or email.
    Ive been told by a number of buyers that it is the video and extra service that made them buy my machine over others. My machines now sell for $500.
    I agree most eBay ads are terrible, as the owners usually know nothing about the machine. However, there are a few people using eBay that are honest and know what they are doing.
    Suffice to say if you want a beautifully restored machine, contact me!��

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MagicDan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dan, you are one of the exceptions to the rule. There aren't a lot of ebay sellers that actually restore the machines they list, and perhaps, even fewer that know how to properly pack them or take the time to do the same.

17. The following user says "Thanks" to hkp

Thanks
    Thanks Received

resize - Copy.jpg
    I got both of these for $25 at a yard sale. They are the first ones I have bought.
    I hope they are a good buy

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Pondhopper

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds a good deal
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk, and congrats on a nice deal! Keep us posted on what progress you make on them in the Vintage Pachinko section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2