Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FIRST

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FIRST

Manual shooting vintage machines are large (around 3 feet by 2 feet by not quite 1 foot deep) and weigh 35 pounds (which is a little less deep and half the weight of modern video-equipped electronic pachinkos). The pictures are small. Large things look nice in small pictures. Here's what has been hidden in small, fuzzy pictures on machines I've bought on the Bay:

1. Water stained playfield. Can't fix this...it's as it always will be.

2. Rusted chrome. Sometimes this can be cleaned up nicely-surprisingly so. If rusted heavily, you'll need to rechrome/chrome paint if you don't want a rusty machine in your house.

3. Back mechanisms/shooter door/playfield filled with dead bugs, dirt, garbage, packing peanuts, etc. You can fix this in around two hours outside with a screwdriver, plastic cleaner and patience-DO NOT spray cleaner on front playfield or you'll have problem 1 above. Don't show the thing to your significant other until you clean it unless they are a saint.

4. Parts in back missing due to idiots tinkering and not putting the parts back in the same place. This is tougher; if a critical part is missing there is no parts source I know of other than another similar machine.

5. Tulips in front bent out of adjustment (balls stick in tulip). Less frequent, but a pain...you have to carefully pry them out, rebend, then reattach with screws you locate somewhere (they're generally attached with nails at the factory...but not always).

6. Shooter spring missing. A pain...have to locate another spring and reattach.

7. All/some wiring ripped out/switches bent badly. Not as big a deal...older vintage machines work on gravity alone and lights are for 1) jackpot and 2) balls out in upper tray. A very few manual shooter machines have other powered features...rarely seen on the Bay. You can live without lights or fix with a 9 volt battery, clip, new wires, switches, etc. if you want. Or not.

8. Incredibly, no frame around machine! Only happened to me once. You want a frame, believe me.

9. Broken glass/plexiglass. www.professionalplastics.com has $30 minimum order, but will cut to size 4 sheets of beautiful film-masked .125 acrylic sheets (extruded) for that $30. Machines come with two panes of glass but only really need one (closer to playfield). Be lavish and use 2...use extras on your next pachinko...you'll probably get another. Or acquire locally (which might cost as much for one as the four sheets do!)

10. Parts out of adjustment in back (especially with older mechanisms which you can identify since they aren't completely covered with plastic covers)...

11. And of course, balls stuck in back-the number one reason why machines "don't work"--easiest to fix, but you sometimes have to disassemble the machine (well heck, you're cleaning it anyway!)

And then there's what happens when they ship it...more broken parts, cracked wood frame, large portions of back coming apart from front (many machines from 70's had mechanisms STAPLED to wood instead of assembled more carefully with nails/screws..these come off more often in shipping...)

The shipping often costs more than the machine. Too big a box and you pay a balloon shipping rate. Too small and your machine will arrive with small assorted pieces unattached.

So why bother?

Well, local pickup is a better option, but if you buy from a buyer that will say the machine works, answers your questions (you know what to ask now), provides big, clear pictures, and packs it with some intelligence you can relive your lost past when you could have bought these machines for less at the local discount store.

The luxury option, for those with $300+ and little patience for the above, would be to buy a beautifully restored machine from pachinkoman.com. He also sells clear DVDs (plan to play on computer, though) that cover the restoration process thoroughly for several vintage machine types...and they have helped me immensely. There's nothing like a video to show what the heck is supposed to happen.

But that's more expensive than a new modern machine and you want a bargain, right?

Remember, it's on eBay because they don't want it, and don't have a taker in their family/friends. Why is that? I assure you that a clean undamaged machine that works perfectly is the exception by far on the Bay...don't imagine that there's one lurking in that fuzzy low res dark picture...unless it's that one I just saw...

[D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

2. The following 57 users say "Thanks" to ocpachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FIRST

I'm sticking this to the top, ocpachinko. Great review of what to look for and many folks will find this useful. Thanks!

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to slotter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Inspite of all negative points most of the fun is restoring an old machine to its old glory.
    playfield if not to damged can be cleaned
    chrome can be polished plexi glass can be cut to size by your local hardware store or home center
    they are basic mechanical devices anything can be replaced or simply made

6. The following user says "Thanks" to teoserv

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you know of a way to get rid of water damage on a playfield, let me know
    Somewhere in my basement I still have the first pachinko I got that started me collecting them, I agree there is much fun to be had in cleaning up an old garage sale find, but the points brought up, even if some of them sounded negative, were perfect and spot on. No reason to pick up a pachinko that you can't repair if there is another around the corner that just needs cleaning or adjustment:-)

Quote Originally Posted by teoserv
    Inspite of all negative points most of the fun is restoring an old machine to its old glory.
    playfield if not to damged can be cleaned
    chrome can be polished plexi glass can be cut to size by your local hardware store or home center
    they are basic mechanical devices anything can be replaced or simply made

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Angry_Radish

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I picked up 2 vintage Pachinkos recently, the first one I have seen worked after I figured out how to set it up correctly.
    the second had been damaged, the top hopper is broken, after my experience with the first unit I had the second one shooting and paying in about 1 hour. still need to get the 'lost' shot balls not to fall through, do some of these (dishijn) always fall through? My Nisihijn has a lever to catch the balls, or release them.
    I also have water damage on the playfield, minor ghosting, grey wavey lines, from the top. I noticed they are painted, what type of paint/laqour is it?
    I saw a post where a member removed all nails and pocketrs and glued a concert t-shirt onto the field for a custom background, whew! too much work!
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

10. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: So you want to buy a vintage pachinko on eBay... READ FI

I believe the worse thing about Ebay is that as a buyer we are at the mercy of the seller who we can only hope is honest,

I found the machine I wanted and asked questions before bidding the seller lied a blue streak and when I received the machine and complained he thought admitting he lied about the condition and cheated me on shipping would all be fixed with a

"I'm Sorry"

He went on to say he would give me a small rebate if I first gave him great feedback,

So if you find that must have Ebay item look at feedback and ask questions and ask for clear good pictures and then assume you still might end up disappointed then if by chance you are pleased that is just gravy.

Gak was wonderful on the TR machine so not all Ebay sellers are cheats but sadly way too many are.

Besides with garage sales Craigslist and the like finding a good machine near home isnt impossible

Cheers,
    P.
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams"

12. The following user says "Thanks" to The13bats

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just picked up a vintage on eBay for $75.00 +35.00 Shipping.

The pictures in the auction were take well before it started sitting in a garage somewhere. The pictures were taken when it was nice an clean. I received it all dirty, and had to spend over 2 hours cleaning the dirt off of the playing field.

Also, it was not packaged very well, and showed up with a badly broken top ball tray.

Electrically it is in good condition, the bulbs are burnt out, but everything is there and not really hacked up. It does play nice; well it does now... I had to clean the broken plastic from the tray out of the rails for the balls.

I will have to take it all the way apart to restore it (first time for me), but I look forward to the challenge. Since the bones are good; I don't see any problems.

I plan to buy the restoration manual from Pachinko Man, and will need to pick up the top tray, and front lock assembly that was removed. Pahinko Man should have these...

I know it's a lot of work, but it should be fun...

14. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn

Sandwich Shooter heavyguitarman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

you think you got it bad???i just bought my first machine. Check out my posts and pics...but i never let anything beat me down except new car engines i fix those with a credit card.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was very fortunate to find a very nice machine on ebay and seller packed in wood and came great.. Clean up of course, a little oil, and bending here and there (1st machine I've owned) replaced the micro switch all good now!! Super happy I have wanted one of these since antique hunting with my father when I was about ten, 32 now so it was a bit of a wait. Sale price $82

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Milehighfish

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Milehighfish View Post
    I was very fortunate to find a very nice machine on ebay and seller packed in wood and came great.. Clean up of course, a little oil, and bending here and there (1st machine I've owned) replaced the micro switch all good now!! Super happy I have wanted one of these since antique hunting with my father when I was about ten, 32 now so it was a bit of a wait. Sale price $82
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the Pachi Family!

Please post some pictures of you machine in a new thread. We would love to see it!
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

21. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I"m new to this site. I bought my first Pachinko on ebay and member CarlW was the seller. Great machine that works and looks great. Just got back from Biloxi and picked up 10 machines from another member on ebay. These machines are like new and are great. I'm still setting them up but so far 6 of them are working great. Thanks to Chris from Biloxi this was another great purchase from Ebay. When ever you buy anything from ebay do your research.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Sodaman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sodaman View Post
    I"m new to this site. I bought my first Pachinko on ebay and member CarlW was the seller. Great machine that works and looks great. Just got back from Biloxi and picked up 10 machines from another member on ebay. These machines are like new and are great. I'm still setting them up but so far 6 of them are working great. Thanks to Chris from Biloxi this was another great purchase from Ebay. When ever you buy anything from ebay do your research.
    Welcome to pachitalk. Carl sells wonderful looking machines. (He also finds them in really nice shape.) Can you post some pictures of this lot of ten because they sound like they are moderns not vintages. Still either way so anything pachi is cool .

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks go to ebay and look under Item # 150643373848 and you can see the machines.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sodaman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

start a new thread of your own and post a few pics please

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep that was the lot of moderns. It sounded too familiar to me.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What is a normal price to expect to pay for shipping on one of these machines? I see a lot of prices ranging from $50 up to much higher.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Meliah View Post
    What is a normal price to expect to pay for shipping on one of these machines? I see a lot of prices ranging from $50 up to much higher.
    fair shipping should be somewhere around 70 bucks or so (max) for a vintage machine... modern machines weight a bit more so possably up to a 100.00 and thats shiiping from east to west coast..

31. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You also need to consider whether the shipping price includes professional packing, or if the seller will be packing. Sometimes the professional packing service will increase the overall shipping cost, but the machine may arrive in better condition.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

33. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I recently purchased a vintage pachinko machine in the Bay Area and had some dealings with the "So Called " Professonal Shipping and Packing Folks/ Fedex & UPS. It has come to my attention that these shippers are becoming known for quoting very high packing and shipping charges when they spot someone showing up with a Pachinko machine. Both shipping companies quoted almost $200.00 for their pack/ship Extravaganza. The destination was to my home in Ne. Luckily I had a very experienced seller that saw a ridiculous situation and made the best of it. He went out and got a bicycle box and cut it down and packed the machine. He then took the box back to Fedex and shipped almost 70lbs. for under $70.00 back to me.
    Our economy may be screwed up but obviously it hasn't hurt the shipping companies-Or at least they don't think so!? I hope this isn't a scenario we will all be seeing in the near future but thought a "Heads UP" was in order on this one!
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

35. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast