Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Transformer Problem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Transformer Problem

check all your boards carefully to see if it lloks like there are any burn marks on them.

I can't believe it would blow your whole system with a fuse in line blowing.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the master contol board or the voltage regulator were damaged, you would need to do a resisitance check on each and every attached component, as well as check for damaged traces near the fuse transfer bars.The chance that replacing one board will make the problem go away are exremly slim, but not totally impossible. In all honesty you might have better luck winning the lotto twice in a row, might just want to right this one off...I feel for you.
    Shellandjeff

"Before the internet, the village idiot actually stayed in the village."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So far ive checked a lot of the circuit boards and have not found any other ones that have been damaged hopefully i can find a replacement board in the next few days.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Sparky, If you have a similar manufactured machine you could take it's power supply and try it and see before you go dropping more cash into this machine.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As the saying goes "Its a crap shoot" Its a gamble. Did the fuse react fast enough when the zeners popped, or did it take a extra nanosecond. When the circuit was designed it was never intended to take a 500v jolt. If this voltage got by the regulators, then the rest of the circuit boards would have felt this jolt. No IC's could ever tolerate this type of impact. (Even for the smallest of split seconds). Remember that when you accidently reversed the windings on a step down transformer...It became a step up transformer. At this stage its a complete gamble. But the odds are against you. Its all about the price of the circuit board. Are there fuses on the other boards? Are they blown as well? If they are then they felt the jolt also. Is the blown board a small board?....does it have a lot of components on it?
    BOB

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dont have a similar one so thats not going to work for me, my plan right now is to get the replacement board that i charred and check over all the other boards for damage and then go from there, this Ukiyoe machine is definately IMO an underrated machine so i'd really like to get it goin again.

I just noticed my "Sparky" rank very funny, I shouldnt of been trying to replace my transformer at 11pm, im lucky the smoke from the machine didnt set the fire alarm off, then i would of had some explaining to do.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In regards to looking for damage on the boards. This it not the norm...Most components don't char themself (This would make my job to easy)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RKnarr01
    he was bumping it to get me to answer your question i believe
    Yes-sir-ree-Bob. That's what I did. It deserved an answer.

Rich, if you want to give it a try, go for it.
    The fact that you said the transformer CASE blew off told me that sucker took one heck of a hit. For a moment (and that's all it takes) it stepped up your voltage to over 500 volts into that pachinko... instead of the 24v it wants.

The fuse reacted when SOMETHING (or some THINGS) shorted inside. It happened in a hurry, no doubt. How many things? Well, the zeners gave up, and as was said, that let the higher voltage through. From there? Only the pachi-gods know for sure. Could be the processor board? Could be the LCD? Could be all of the above. And for how long? A split-second is all it takes to do major melt that you don't see.

The suggestion to call it a learning experience may save you some money.
    Call it tuition to the "School of Hard Knocks".
    But if you want to gamble, that's your option. You may end up paying more for parts than you paid for the machine in the first place... then again, maybe not. But that shock still has at least weakened what was left. No doubt.
    Only the worst damage will blow apart or smoke. Electronics can get cooked without external evidence. THAT'S what we're saying here.

Now you've seen three or four people with experience in electronics give you opinions. If we were doctors or lawyers, you'd already be broke. :lmao:

Take them for what you want.

And with that, my friends... I'm off to rest for my trip tomorrow... and then... VACATION.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone for the advice ill have to see what happens when i find a new replacement board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice summery Logicprobe....That gets all of the points across nicely. Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Since I know nothing about electronics al I can say is good luck, don't give up (if you don't want to) and you never know.
    And if it doesn't work out you can always turn it into a clock.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

RK: just a thought... while www.twobits.com deals primarily in pinball & video game repairs, they have a large database & could possibly give you the name of a repair technician in your area. It's worth a try. Good luck to ya! I feel for you. Russ
    **New Trad**Disco Queen**

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exclamation Re: Transformer Problem

RK: forgot to add... At www.twobits.com, click on pinball repairs, at the bottom you can email them the request to find a tech in the Rochester area. They'll want the type of machine, so you'll want to put in 'Bally' or 'Pinbot' or 'Williams' (which made Pinbot). I don't think they have 'pachinko' in their database, but a packinko is certainly a pinball machine. Also, don't forget your zip! After all, you're just trying to find a technician close to you, and whether or not He chooses to look at your game is up to him.
    Best of luck!
    **New Trad**Disco Queen**

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Enclosed is a photo of the units i damaged, this is not a pic of the board from my machine. This photo was provided by our member DRDARK so thanks for this pic. the 2 black things next to the white plug at the top of the pic are the two things that i charred.

proffesorpeter

this is a nasty accident man. Hopefully that fuse was a quick blow type. Sounds to me like the circular components were the pcb mounted bridge rectifiers- alough there mabye be some inductors on there (they look like little coils wound round a spindle a lot of the time). The problem is that the ICs on the CPU boards etc are very sensitive to electrostatic discharges and voltage excesses. you may find that the overvoltage has travelled around the machine and hurt more than just the PSU.
    In saying that though- my zero-one machine is running fine after the converter exploded - so these machines seem to be tough to break. Good luck in the repairs,
    prof p

proffesorpeter

can you get a close up of that board so i can see those things better- i dont think they are rectifiers, not located up there on the board

Thanks
    Thanks Received

those pics arent from my machine DrDark (a pachitalk member) took those for me off of his machine since i couldnt find a cam to use to get pics of my board.

proffesorpeter

hmmmmm- this is a part of the power supply yes? if thats the only board that shows signs of damage you may be lucky. trouble is an IC can be destroyed with no external signs of damage. It may be an idea to get the CPU board etc the once over to make sure they are ok. I hope you get it fixed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think, like Logic brought up that even without showing damage or even working, it could be extremely weak at this point. Your continued investement in it might work, but for how long?
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I paid 170 for it so if i can get it fixed by investing 75 or less i will go ahead more than that and ill call it a loss

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast