Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vintage for almost $200?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage for almost $200?

Okay I have been watching vintage machines for sometime now. And usually they go between $20 - $120. This one is almost at $200 + $30 handling + shipping. Please tell me what I am missing on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage for almost $200?

What you're missing is easy. None of those bidders are members here.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Vintage for almost $200?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    What you're missing is easy. None of those bidders are members here.
    Ive been eyeing that one myself although as you can see, I havent bid on it. And wont at that price!
    But Tulsa is right in that these are people without much, if any, understanding about the machines. And because of that they dont want anything that isnt turnkey & ready to go & are willing to spend the money on it.
    Either that or they are people with too much stinkin' money!

I probably paid a little too much for my recent vintage buy too. But Im a little wiser now ( not by much! ) & willing to work on it & I know a little more of what to look for.
    ********************http://RRob1.photosite.com/ ********************

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was a very nice vintage machine though, Doodude.
    Life
    It's what happens

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by johntofva
    That was a very nice vintage machine though, Doodude.
    Thanks...
    Mine didnt quite show the truth about the asthetic condition but I can over come that & Im still satisfied with it.
    And Im sure with time & a little help from my friends Ill have it in great shape soon enough...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That machine just from the pics is in great shape! The chrome is a mirror finish. That is important. It means it was kept in good shape and not stored in a humid place. The rest of the plastic looks in good shape as well. You have to look at it in the same way you look at anything vintage or older. The better it is cosmetically and working along with it's age means the more it is valued. Is it worth what it is going for? Maybe not but if you want an original machine in what looks like mint condition then maybe it is worth it to you. The vintage I have I would have preferred to restore it to original condition but it was to far gone for me to stick the time or money into it for that. But if I did not want to take the time and have a original machine I would be looking at this one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ha Doo. You have a link to the auction for that vintage you got?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Re: Vintage for almost $200?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    ....You have to look at it in the same way you look at anything vintage or older. The better it is cosmetically and working along with it's age means the more it is valued. Is it worth what it is going for?.......
    I know that I couldn't place a true value on this vintage and I wonder who could here? This is something we could use some help on pachitalk.com as more of these show up. This vintage has a verifiable history for the last 42 years from the seller plus it looks to be in excellent condition. So who is to say it isn't worth what he got for it? We have a restorer and seller of these as a member here that also puts out a nice dvd covering in depth what it takes to restore these. I wonder if he could be convinced to comment on this one or the ones that come up on Ebay for sale? It would be a great help now and in the future.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    Ha Doo. You have a link to the auction for that vintage you got?
    This is my recent vintage buy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It looks good in the pics & in the flesh, so to speak. You cant see the burns & the rust in the pics but they are not so bad they cant be overcome. Im very happy with my buy & am expecting to have fun bringing it back to life...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is quite a quiescence Doo! I do not look at the pachinko auctions much and almost never for the vintage, but this one caught eye. I looked at this one and seen that it had the rounded front edges. It looked nice. It is simple on the back compared to the one I fixed up. You should have no trouble taking it apart to fix up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Doo, IMHO you got a great deal. On the other hand, the machine that is the subject of this thread has damage from being cleaned with a liquid (lots of it) that got under the playfield around the edges and under the pins and features. Almost everything else on a vintage can be fixed; this can't be fixed. In recent months, especially, more and more folks are doing this and ruining playfields that were fine before they did it!

But the buyer may have had one exactly like this as a child, and may live a mile away. Or maybe they didn't notice this damage, or didn't care about it.

I'd certainly pay what you paid for yours, Doo. I personally couldn't be paid to accept the machine of this thread. And that's what makes business, eBay, and this board fascinating!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One thing to watch out for on these is the seeping of water or other cleaners behind the nails. If you soak the playfield when you clean it (or someone cleaned it before you), that's what happens. It looks pretty obvious in that auction that John listed. Notice it around the top, especially.
    I have one VERY similar to that, and it dated in the 70's. (When we had that link that showed how to date stickers... wish we still had that info!)

But the seller said he picked this up in Japan in '63. Maybe Nishijin kept that exact same design for a LONG time.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks ocpachinko. I was not looking at the play Field much. I learned something today. Now I know what happened to the second vintage I got shafted on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I didnt notice the water/cleaner mark before but now that I know what Im looking at I can see it very well.

As Ive said, I m happy with my purchase at the purchase price. But its always nice to hear from others that they feel you got a good deal. Love that affirmation...

Ive been cleaning on this Vintage & its in better shape than I thought. What I was seeing as chrome corrosion was actually caked on dust that dosent seem to have penetrated & its cleaning up very well.
    Ive done a general clean up of the frame, door & lightly cleaned the playboard & pockets. Ive also cleaned the back somewhat & blown high pressure air down the shoots. Im thinking the crushed sunflower seed that came out is going to improve the play a bit.
    Tomorrow Ill get a can of WD40 & a rag & some QTips & wipe down the rust I can find & leave it for a week or so while Im on the road.
    When I get back Ill clean it again & see where I need to go from there.
    The payout problem has been solved ( somehow? ) & it seems the more I play it the more the release lever that drops the ball onto the shooter flows more easily.
    All in all, Im having a pretty good time working on this thing. Just wish I was home more...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe your super squirrel avitar dropped that sunflower seed in there!!!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only problem with looking at the link you provided doodude is I get this:

Bidding has ended for this item at US $110.50. You were outbid.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................ LOL

And I am with Lazarus, I have learned something today. And that is always a good thing. THANKS Y'LL.
    Life
    It's what happens

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Funny thing is,I just got one from 1973. I also found a sunflower seed in it. Kinda wonder if that was popular while playing in Japan (People eating and spitting out seeds while playing). Question though,I was looking to clean the playfield in mine and was wondering what the best thing was to use. Without streaking.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Jcmusc View Post
    Funny thing is,I just got one from 1973. I also found a sunflower seed in it. Kinda wonder if that was popular while playing in Japan (People eating and spitting out seeds while playing). Question though,I was looking to clean the playfield in mine and was wondering what the best thing was to use. Without streaking.
    cell cleaner.. they sell it in japan.. i have yet to find a great replacement..

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Gel Gloss works well.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tink, I agree. I've also used Gel Gloss with success. Clearly, it doesn't fix the water stains, but it will clean the dirt marks without damaging the cell any further.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast