Thread: Neo Magic Pulsar or New Pulsar?

furious_pete

Default Neo Magic Pulsar or New Pulsar?

Im new to this whole pachislo thing. Id like to purchase a machine for my mother's birthday. She likes the Vegas style one armed bandits (the ones with spinning reels - not the newer tv touch-screen ones). She isn't familiar with the Japanese Pachislo slots.

Ive kind of narrowed down my choices to the Neo Magic Pulsar and New Pulsar models for a couple reasons - mostly because I know mom likes the lemons, oranges, cherrys and bells themes, there isnt a ton of Japanese writing on the machines, and because the price seems to be about right ($125 + $70 shipping includes warranty 500 tokens, extra bulbs, manual, etc. either machine). The one feature I know she really likes is the 1, 2, or 3 bet feature - she's not real big into max bet all the time. The New Pulsar machine seems to support that feature while the Magic Pulsar does not.

From reading the various comments/reviews on the board it appears that the built in volume knob on the Magic Pulsar machine has a sufficient enough range to quiet the machine down enough so that it isnt annoying in a home play enviornment and doesnt need additional volume control. Does the New Pulsar machines volume control work as well or should I consider adding additional volume control at the time of purchase?

I know the Magic Pulsar machine has the El-Vision which appeals to me personally but do you think it might be too distracting for an old lady? I think if the Magic Pulsar allowed you to vary your bet this wouldnt be that hard of a decision - Id just buy that one - but since it doesnt Ive got a dillemma.

Which machine would you recommend and why? Is the simplicity/varied bet feature of the New Pulsar better or the eye catching graphics and good sound control of the Magic Pulsar better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Neo Magic Pulsar or New Pulsar?

Hello, I would recommend the Magic Pulsar. I always use max bet on all my machines even if they allow 1,2,3. Mike : )
    - Owner Video Game Connection -
    -" ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO SWITCH “-

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Neo Magic Pulsar or New Pulsar?

Welcome to the forum, furious pete!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the new pulsar is a lot simpler machine and may be better for your mother.

it is more like a vegas machine with just 3 reels.

it should have a 3 position volume control and if you want it quieter you can always put some cotton balls in the speakers.

remove top 2 speaker screws, loosen the bottom 2 screws, put in about a hald dozen cotton balls and put all the screws back it.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a new pulsar, very vegas like. Very boring compared to many of the other machines. As a newbe I wanted to do a autostop and vegas arm mod, convert to quarters etc. By the time you hack up the machine you still have a pashilo + another $150 worth of investment. The arm however won't have the ratchet action of the real vegas machines. While the coinmech can be modified the hopper always has a problem jaming with quarters, and the autostop does funny things if you happen to hit the worng combination of buttons

. If you want Vegas buy Vegas ... check out www.slots4less.com and you can get a vegas machine delivered to any of the 48states. If you ignore the bill validator you can get a machine for under $500 delivered. I recommend calling the guys as they always give you a discount over the phone which is not on their web sites.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ingore that link.....I screwed up...
    http://www.slotmachines4less.com/igt.htm

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the forum, pete.
    Tough call... how old is an "old lady"? :smirk:
    My idea of one, and my kids idea would be totally different.

The Magic Pulsar is much more machine. It offers interactive play with the stop buttons being "called" in an order from the display. (Left to right, right to left, etc.) The graphics are very good on the display, and the decorative gold foil like highlights on the glass are very nice indeed. It's a good looking machine, and fun to play... max bet or not.

New Pulsar is pretty plain, and it IS an older model. The ones I've got for customizing were pretty well scratched up, and needed a lot of work to get them looking good again. Maybe it was just those, but they really seemed to show their age. If you purchase them from a reputable dealer, though... they should be cleaner than the ones I got... plus I got mine at wholesale.

If "Mom" is looking for something very similar to a Vegas slot, then you're probably (uggh!) going to be looking at an auto reel-stop mod. New Pulsar would be a better machine for that (if ANY machine is good? But that's my personal opinion of them). Auto-stop on the Magic Pulsar would be a waste of playability, because of the interactivity, IMHO. New Pulsar could probably use it OK.

Also, Magic Pulsar has some symbols that might upset a "real old" person... witches, hex signs, etc. It's part of the theme, that's all.

All that said, "this old man" prefers the Neo Magic Pulsar over the New Pulsar... but then again, I'm a techie.
    Hope that helped... or at least confused. :smirk:
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are the quarter onlys.....
    http://www.slotmachines4less.com/quarterslots.htm

Sorry for all of the reposts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Neo Magic Pulsar or New Pulsar?

I sold a Neo PlanetT to an 80 yr old lady and she loves it. Volume is set at 2. Mike : )

furious_pete

Thanks for the help guys! I decided on getting the Magic Pulsar, purchased it about an hour ago from Stealth and the transaction went really well. I got 500 extra tokens too. Whats the max payout on the Magic Pulsar machine? Will 1000 token cover it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1000 will be more than fine. I am running 750 in mine. Mike : )

furious_pete

Is there a 1,2,3 bet model that you guys would highly recommend? Is the first generation El-Vision Neo Planett a machine which allows you to vary your bet?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Neo Planet is 3 bet, most of the newer machines are.

Since we are all using tokens, I don't see what the problem would be with a 3 bet machine with 5 lines of play.

compared to one bet with only one line of play.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

furious_pete

Hi guys,

Got the Neo Magic Pulsar machine in today. I set it up and it looks great. There does seem to be a slight problem, there are two full lines of the overlay LCD display out (not working), one vertically towards the right side of the screen and one horizontally towards the bottom of the screen. Obviously it doesnt affect gameplay but it bugs me because Im kind of picky. Is this normal wear and tear or should it have been fixed before I got it? Also how do I change it from credit mode to where it automatically pits the credits out even if the credits are < 50?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unplug and replug any connectors you can get your hands on inside and you'll likely fix the overlay LCD display. That is NOT normal operation.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you might have some pixcels out on the grid
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by furious_pete
    Hi guys,

Got the Neo Magic Pulsar machine in today. I set it up and it looks great. There does seem to be a slight problem, there are two full lines of the overlay LCD display out (not working), one vertically towards the right side of the screen and one horizontally towards the bottom of the screen. Obviously it doesnt affect gameplay but it bugs me because Im kind of picky. Is this normal wear and tear or should it have been fixed before I got it?
    Checking all your connections is the first place to start as it is the easiest fix. I haven't seen the display on this particular machine but I have had a similar problem with the large dot matrix displays on newer pinball machines (American variety, not pachinko). With the dot matrix displays, the problem is a cold solder joint. Each vertical and each horizontal row of the display has a small solder point and, when it goes, the whole row of the display goes. as this is just a guess, can anyone with this machine look at the display board to verify this?

Kevin
    Pachislos: Neo Pharaoh Zetz
    Pachinkos: Girls Und Panzer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the connectors don't fix the problem, take a picture of the parts that do not work and email it to me. I'll show it to my techs as to what to look out for, and I'll send you a replacement display if that is the problem.

Milt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now that is service

furious_pete

Wow Milt thats great! Thanks for helping me with the problem.