Thread: On this 4th of July

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default On this 4th of July

On this day of days I thought this link was appropriate.

Red Skelton's "The Pledge"
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: On this 4th of July

How appropriate it is. It is not just enough to say the words, but to understand what they mean. And to understand that saying those words means commitment to their principles.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Perhaps the greatest clown ever, in one of the most somber and meaningful presentations I have ever heard him recite.

It seems he was a bit of a prohpet, too.
    Wouldn't it be a pity?

Each morning during the school year, I have the HONOR of leading that pledge in my classroom. Since I teach 11th and 12th grade students, I may have some that have pre-enlisted into the military.
    When they share those plans with me, I always ask them if THEY would like to lead the pledge on occasion. Most of the time, that question results in a blank stare... and then something like, "Ummm... yeah... sure."

You see, after 9/11, there was a law enacted here in PA that required schools provide a time for students to stand and say the pledge... the so-called "patriotism law". (Before that time, there was NO requirement to have a flag, OR say the pledge!)

This law ALSO stated that if students did not stand and recite it, the school must inform the parents of their child's decision. No teeth... no bite... just simply stating that parents must be aware. Obviously there is no way for a school to force someone to say something if they do not want to say it.

In my day, that alone would have been enough to make sure that I at least stood up, because if my Dad (a WWII vet) ever would have found out that I DIDN'T... well... I wouldn't have been sitting anywhere for quite a while.

But times have changed, my friends. Some parents in PA (not around here) argued that the same rights that the flag stands for, protects all students' freedom of speech. They claimed that by telling parents of their child's choice, schools were violating their children's rights.

They challenged the new "law", and managed to have it overturned. The State of PA also lost their appeal. AND, it has been hailed by lawyers as being a most wonderful ruling. (links provided)

Given the fact that there is still a requirement to have a flag in all classrooms, and that time is still required to either allow a pledge or "patriotic song", I have chosen to recite the pledge in my classroom. Getting back to those pre-enlisted students that I ask... I don't ask them to take the lead immediately. I ask them to let me know when they are ready, by volunteering... just as they have volunteered to serve their country.

When I lead my class in the Pledge of Allegiance, I do not watch them to see if they are standing. I do not watch their lips to see if they are speaking. I do not look at their hand to see if it is on their heart. Instead, I stand straight... place MY hand on MY heart... and fix MY eyes on the classroom flag.

I do not recite it in what I call the "grade school" method... two or three words at a time, as when they learned it by rote. I recite it the way I feel it should be said... the way it is written... and there is NO pause before "under God":

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands.
    One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

One breath in there... one pause for it, but no more than that.

In doing this for the first few months of the school year, I guess I'm teaching a bit more than electronics and computer service. I make a short comment every so often, to the students in general, letting them know that if any of them would like to lead us in this pledge... simply ask.

As we get close to the end of the year (sometimes before that), one of those "pre-enlisted students" finds his heart. I can't begin to tell you all how I feel on the days that I say, "Will you all please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance"... and hear a voice say... "May I lead it?"

OK... so it's more like, "Can I lead it?"... but we'll work on the English another time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, USA!!!
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice indeed.
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you logicprobe.

A shame there aren't more teachers like you.

And thank you tulsa for the link to Red Skelton's Pledge.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum