Thread: Bonus Error - Nishijin Y&O model - Splenby

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Bonus Error - Nishijin Y&O model - Splenby

Hi everyone,
    First post here, hope this is the right section, if not please let me know.

Recently started collecting machines, I have just a few right now, and so far have had great luck with them.
    My most recent find is a Nishijin Y&O model, the Splenby themed machine.
    402416725_7224869224199699_4253224369547116450_n.jpg
    Having an issue with an error, only happens during bonus mode when the door is open.
    Error Symptoms

- Alarm sounds
    - Balls flow freely and if they land in a pocket it pays like normal.
    - Bonus Door closes
    - LCD changes to error screen
    - Machine actually continues playing but no spins and subroulette

Known work-arounds
    - if I open the playfield and open the door myself and stick a ball in it, the alarm stops and the bonus ends. Play resumes normally.
    - Using the power switch, off and on results in a black screen most of the time. Manually opening the bonus door as above resumes play
    - Unplugging and plugging back in results in a normal boot forgetting about any bonus.

Seems to happen every bonus. Don't think I've ended a bonus successfully on this machine.

405064591_7235154983171123_6341049424149326989_n.jpg402660845_7235155113171110_2374949368768980338_n.jpg405016767_7235155243171097_464179741267457761_n.jpg

Error Codes:
    - LCD error message in Japanese translates to "Error occurred, please contact associate"
    - Back has a error LCD with sticker. LCD flashes code "O" during the error. Translated the sticker and it says "normal action"

**During normal play, on a fresh boot, or after using a work around to solve the error, the back LCD flashes "O"
    I do see it flash other letters on boot when its checking systems, mainly, "A" which the sticker says means "Accessory board not attached"
    It is a CR machine and I don't have dave's dongle yet. Not sure if that's related.
    This tells me I'm not really seeing an error code when the alarm is sounding? It's just acting normal?

Ball Sensor and/or Shortage
    I should also note that I've done this multiple times and at first I thought it was a ball shortage.
    However I have run out of balls during bonus (and other times) and didn't get the error, and I've also gotten the error with a full blanket of balls in the tray.
    Adding more balls doesn't solve the error.

Is this some sort of setting that calls an attendant after every bonus? Can I disable it?

Thanks for reading!

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Nascarjake

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bonus Error - Nishijin Y&O model - Splenby

WELCOME!!!

Welcome!! Sorry I'm no help.. But hopefully someone smarter will be along soon!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits and Turkey and stuffing and potatoes and gravy and sweet tea and wine and coffee and pumpkin pie and apple pie and cranberry sauce and Football (both parts of the world (Pitch and Field )) and fruit juice and fruit and nut meats and mincemeat pie .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

8. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Getting some nice notebooks and good pens and pencils and ruler and start a Note Book on Each of your machines about problems with them and Found Solutions and fun stuff that you and others have discovered . Maybe even photos of parts of your machine .

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

During the bonus. Are you actually getting balls in the trapdoor. Because you didn't specify that balls went in there. Only you did it manually.
    Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes the bonus will run normally for a while - I can shoot balls in the open door - payout is correct 15 for bonus, plenty of balls won. Functions normally.
    At some point, usually seemingly towards the end of the bonus, i get the error.
    I dont actually know how long bonuses are supposed to go for so I dont know if its only happening at the end or if its happening in the middle.
    After i do the manual work around the bonus immediately ends.

In my bonus door compartment there is an actuated yellow seesaw that controls if the left or right hold is targeted
    The left hole is targeted first every cycle, and then the seesaw switches to the right hole.
    When i say each cycle, i mean during the bonus the door closes after like 10 balls go through, and then it reopens
    Each cycle im pretty sure the seesaw is resetting.
    I'm kinda thinking maybe the seesaw is getting confused, or caught out of cycle?
    I'll have to watch it closely next time to see if i can spot anything weird.
    I could imagine if the cycle started and the seesaw was in the wrong place the machine might get upset.

All of this works fine and acts normally until the error occurs.
    Then the door shuts. I can still shoot balls but ofcourse at that point no balls can enter the bonus door unless I manually open it.

And someone above mentioned troubleshooting components, so i thought i would just mention the power situation:
    I do have it plugged into a normal 110 outlet, it is using a 3 foot single extension to reach the plug.
    Power transformer box on the machine gets normal amount of warm, doesnt seem like its doing anything weird with the power.

Thanks so much everyone for the welcome and hope you all had a fantastic turkey day if you celebrated.
    Last edited by Nascarjake; 11-24-2023 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also i should mention that the error doesnt always occur at the end of a bonus cycle, when the door closes mid bonus
    or at the beginning when the door opens.
    It can happen in the middle of a cycle I'm pretty sure. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Thats not to be confused with my earlier statement that this seems to happen at the end of a bonus mode.
    (the vocabulary im using, a bonus mode has multiple cycles in it. Just trying to be clear.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

O.K. your machine is Almost a Twenty year old machine and possibly your ball paths in the pockets and the back of your machines payout mechanism is possibly Very dirty so keeping these machines ball path and payout mechanism cleaned and maintain is part and parcel of ownership of these wonderful machines .

When I "put up " one of my over 60 machines I do a very thorough cleaning job the use a 30 gal lawn and leaf bag to cover it from dust and dirt and you could use a Silver Sharpie marker to put the machine name , time put up in storage ( you can get those silica bags to keep the electronics nice and dry too ) .

Also your little blue Electrolyte Capacitors have a best by date of around a decade before they start to go out of tolerance and will cause your electronics to stop working the way that they were new so they need to be checked for value and leakage ( yes electronics especially capacitors will not be stable to what is printed on the side of them )
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 11-24-2023 at 06:23 AM.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You also wrote that you opened the Chrome play field door which possibly has a anti tamper "plunger" switch. Very simple Remove the play field Plastic/glass sheet on the play field door then Close the play field door and you can try all the play field pockets without the machine going crazy .

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the reply!
    Great, so ill start with a cleaning.

Yeah I thought it was even over 20 years old by now.
    I also have a Mega Fever Queen II which was much dirtier than my Splenby. I took that apart a few months ago to give it a good clean.
    Had to repair the ball launcher handle as it was loose, 3d printed a little plastic part to fix it. Feels brand new now.

This one honestly is in great shape so i only gave it a moderate rub down. The parts open up much easier than the Fever Queen so it shouldnt be hard to go deeper.
    Everything on the Y&O is modular and pop on compared to the Sankyo. The Sankyo wasnt hard, I just find this one to be easier.

I'll look more closely at the door too.
    Love playing these things. The error honestly is a small hiccup and I'm grateful the machine plays fine otherwise.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Nascarjake; 11-24-2023 at 05:15 PM.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Nascarjake

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've done research in the past about where my machines came from. Each has a stamp from Republic Industries, which I found a post here on pachitalk about Carl shutting that down around 2005
    So as far as the capacitors go, I dont think they were imported much later than their exit from their original location and from what I heard of the machines past from the owner, I doubt the capacitors were ever replaced.
    Do you replace them with the exact same component? Or do you have a recommendation for a compatible, longer lasting alternative?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They have the values printed on the side of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This YouTube video should help you get a leg up on your maintenance problems

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFAWb1F_EpE