Thread: Did early pachinko have automatic payout slots giving actual cash for wins

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Did early pachinko have automatic payout slots giving actual cash for wins

Anyone who reads a bit into the history of pinball would know that pinball wasbanned across the US for its association with gambling. Not just that but early pinball even lacked flippers and relied on a plunger which often gets manipulated by the table design often to be based heavily on luck just like modern pachinko...... That similar to current pachinko, pinball did multiple things to avoid breaking gambling laws such as winning prizes ofr high scores or getti=ing a coupon to give to another location in exchange for cash or colleciting chips or tokens or other objects that fall out of the machine for cash and so much more and of course just like current pachinko, a mix of all the the above (win chips,give it to store vendor to win prize,sell rpize at another store or get a coupon for store vendor and then you go to another location to redeem it,etc).

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that the mob and Italian mafia and other organized crime were involved in the pinball industry as a whole just like how pachinko still has ties to Yakuza and other professional criminal underworld. That said..........

TIL that early pinball machines had comaprtments that actually directly gave you cash. Be it a special drawer you opened to pull out your winnings or just like modern pachinko's dropping out balls from a slot, coins would roll out and you had to get a s a bin to collect them if you're winning consistently and rapidly as they fall and so much other methods, early pinball cabints was as direct as it was giving you winnings ASAP. So it makes me wonder, were early pachinko cabinets the same, giving you yen for your winnings on the spot witha special drawer comaprtment or slots shooting out coins to collect in a bucket or something you place underneath or some other method?

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Booniedog85

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Did early pachinko have automatic payout slots giving actual cash for wins

I can't think of any..but I don't know a lot about the early stuff..

If allwins can payout, I'm sure a pachi could too!!

http://www.melright.com/slots/bmcauto.htm

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Did early pachinko have automatic payout slots giving actual cash for wins

Yeah, in the 1970's New York City Court case Mr. Roger C. Sharpe proved to the court that Pinball is a game of skill .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Sharpe_(pinball)
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The short answer is no. The balls could be exchanged for prizes, but no cash was dispensed by the machines. The closest thing would have been the medal type pachinkos, but these still didn't use cash, they used a token and paid out in tokens that could then be converted to prizes.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

early pachinko used to use to pay out coins before it was banned.

see example on the left side machine

IMG_5720.JPEG

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlujan View Post
    early pachinko used to use to pay out coins before it was banned.

see example on the left side machine

IMG_5720.JPEG
    That is the medal type machine that I mentioned. They didn't use yen, they used a token that needed to be traded in. Similar to how pachislo today use tokens that need to be traded in rather than actual coins.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my understanding at the time of seeing this machine was that the player put in a yen coin (see the chute along the side) that then unlocked the balls; the coin that was paid was added to the payout queue. back then, there would have been a person standing behind the machines to facilitate tall this. the balls remained with the machine like arrangeball.
    later after coin payouts were made illegal, the balls were "freed" from the machine and could be collected in bins and traded for prizes, etc.

perhaps i misunderstood what i was being told at the time. i haven't read the definitive book, only had it explained to me in japanese, which i am not fully proficient in.
    Last edited by jasonlujan; 08-25-2023 at 08:04 AM.

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan