Thread: Narita / Nagoya Pachinko: history / for sale

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Narita / Nagoya Pachinko: history / for sale

I am brand new to Pachinko (kind of.) I found this thread (https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...134#post638134 )and they suggested I post here instead.

I spent a lot of my childhood in Japan. My family’s name is Narita, and are originally from Nagoya - which are both mentioned on the above linked Pachinko game that was for sale a while ago.

I’m told that my grandfather was involved in designing early Pachinko machines. We always had around 20-30 machines in his house, but I was so young that I have no idea which ones they were and no one else who is still alive does either.

I’m feeling nostalgic and am on the lookout for one of these. I’d love to find a working machine, but I’d buy a non-working one to display as an art piece.

I’m also interested in any historic info relating to my family’s relationship to Pachinko. I did find a few blogs mentioning that Nagoya was an important location for Pachinko development. Unfortunately I don’t read Japanese so it’s hard to find info in English. I think Narita is a fairly common name and is also a local place name, so I’m unsure if there’s any relation to the Pachinko machine beyond geographic proximity to manufacture. Still, the nostalgia factor of Narita + Nagoya on a Pachinko machine is appealing simply for the references.

Overall I’m glad to have found this community and if anyone has ideas on leads - books, articles, people, scholars, personal knowledge - I’d love to know!

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to PBandJelly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Narita / Nagoya Pachinko: history / for sale

A Narita pachinko will be hard to find; likely owned by a collector already, they seem rare? Now if you said your family name was Nishijin; this would be much easier…

https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...-at-the-Narita

Might start by posting in the wanted section with a price you are willing to pay up for such a rare model.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello! While this probably overshoots your lineage by a few decades, here's a bit of Nagoya for you:

戦前の名古屋の鈴富の遊技場(1933~34年) Suzutomi's playground in Nagoya before the war (1933-34)
    戦前の名古屋の鈴富の遊技.jpg

This is from Kazuo Sugiyama's book on pachinko history
    https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2...hings-and.html
    WANTED: 10¥ candystore games, pre-1950s Japanese machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1948 Bally Heavy Hitter, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    willing to ship from anywhere.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to cait001

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok so what if I told you that your family was involved in the creation of the tulip, one of the top 5 most important inventions in pachinko history? (initial Japanese production of ball flick machines, the automated ball payouts, the Masamura Gauge, the tulip, and ICs + LEDs come to mind as the 5 most essential innovations of the 20th century)

269.jpg

270a.jpg

270b.jpg

These are excerpts from Kazuo Sugiyama's Pachinko book from 2021: https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2...hings-and.html

Please note there could be ample mistakes in both the OCR I ran and the machine translation, but here is what it says:
    チューリップは浪花のエジソンといわれた鳴尾辰三が考案し、成田製作所の成田豊繁が、昭和三五年一月に実用新案を出願している。 公告は昭和三七年五月だが、鳴尾はチューリップがのちに数千万個普及するとは思わず、材料費が一個一〇〇円程度で特許料が五〇円 ほどだったので、権利を一〇万円で成田に譲り渡した。成田は昭和三五年一一月に一人で出願し、昭和三七年八月に実用新案出願公告 昭33-20457「パチンコセーフ玉受入口」をとっている。図18-3はその一部であるが、チュチップは六風車六穴の正村ゲージの天四本の下の天穴の部分に付いている。日本初のチューリップはここ に咲く予定であった。

machine translation:
    The tulip was invented by Tatsuzo Naruo, who was called the Edison of Naniwa, and Toyoshige Narita of Narita Seisakusho applied for a utility model in January 1960. The public announcement was made in May 1962, but Naruo did not think that tens of millions of tulips would spread in the future. I handed it over to Narita for 10,000 yen. Narita filed an application alone in November 1960, and in August 1962, the utility model application public notice 33-20457 "Pachinko Safe Ball Receiving Port" was obtained. Fig. 18-3 shows a part of it, but the tip is attached to the top hole part below the top four of the Masamura gauge of the six pinwheel six holes. Japan's first tulips were scheduled to bloom here.

Assuming your grandfather is Toyoshige, he filed one of the most important patents in pachinko history, an excerpt of which you can see in the 3rd photo I posted.
    He saw the potential of the tulip that Naruo did not, and purchased the rights to it.

Caption from the patent:
    図18-3「チューリップ」の実用新案、成田豊繁の昭和35年11月出願、昭和37年8月公告の実用新案出願公告昭37-20457「パチンコセーフ玉受入口」
    Fig. 18-3 "Tulip" utility model, filed by Toyoshige Narita in November 1960 and published in August 1962.

If anyone in your family has access to old documents, photos, work information of your grandfathers, it might prove to be invaluable for the pachinko history research! Can you please ask your extended family?
    Either way, you now have a pretty wonderful bit of family history here you can connect with.
    Last edited by cait001; 09-02-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    WANTED: 10¥ candystore games, pre-1950s Japanese machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1948 Bally Heavy Hitter, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    willing to ship from anywhere.

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to cait001

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This might be a Narita for sale in Florida on Facebook Marketplace. Name in the pic is somewhat blurry.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

FB1.jpg FB2.jpg

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to two