Thread: How Much of An Advantage is Using a Knob In Pachinko Over Other Control Methods

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default How Much of An Advantage is Using a Knob In Pachinko Over Other Control Methods

Responses to a question I saw on arcade fight sticks made me wonder. They should explain as starting points.

These three quotes I'll start the topic with since they explain far better than I ever could.

Arcade sticks might give you an advantage if you're more comfortable with them, but that's about it. The reason many use an arcade stick is that they grew up with them in arcades; they play best with them because that's what they used when they acclimatised to the genre; the muscle memory was built, and switching to a pad was as funky to them as switching from a pad to a stick might be for you, so why try to fix what's not broken?

And

A lot of pros use arcade sticks because they have a lot of experience playing in arcades. To them, the arcade stick is more natural to use than pad. Personally, I grew up playing like Tekken and **** on PlayStation, so I’m much better with controller. If I played against someone who was at an equal skill level to me but they played with an arcade stick, we’d be even. There is no real difference

And

Look at top 8 at fighting game tournaments such as CEO and how many played on pad. Or even arguably 3 of the top 5 Street Fighter 5 players (idom, punk, mena) all pad players

In addition another response.

As a bonus pointer, since Tekken was mentioned....... So many players grew up with the game on the PlayStation instead of the arcades that later installments of the Tekken franchise even included a special plugin hole so you could us a PS2 controller to play the game at the arcades and while this function was removed, some of the latest Tekken sequels arcade cabinets have included USB ports so you can plug in a PS3 or PS4 or PS5 gamepad thus continuing the tradition from the PS2 days.

As one of the quotes above pointed out, in the modern fighting game scene, at the highest level of eSports pad players make up a good percentage of top players and even for the rest its no longer arcade sticks that are the default but various different control methods like hitbox, keyboards, and so much more. In the past it was believed that arcade sticks were necessary to compete even at bottom ranking tournaments but nowadays other control methods such as the default gamepad on console have proven to be par with arcade stick as ideal controller.

Considering special controllers have been made for Pachinko games on consoles (such as the various Neon Genesis Evangelion releases on Sony PlayStation) that emulate the round knob you turn around including analog detection..... Is using a knob a massive advantage from say using an Xbox controllers or mouse or even phone and Tablet Pad touchscreen in modern cabinets that tend to sorta shoot automatically and change the force and speed of the launched balls based on how you turn the round knob around? Does the analog stick or mouse and other precision control input just not as precise enough to match the round controls of typical Pachinko machines?

If USB's were suddenly added, would we be seeing more people who play stuff like A****a No Joe Pachinko on their PS3 consoles bring a PlayStation controller with them to Parlors and use them instead similar to Tekken? Or with Bluetooth added into current machines would people be using their phones instead with touch sensitivity since thats what they play with at home? Or is the advantage with turning a round object like a door knob just too great to warrent this change?

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Booniedog85

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: How Much of An Advantage is Using a Knob In Pachinko Over Other Control Meth

If you want precise control, the knob will actually be a disadvantage. Using button controls let's you lock in your desired power level and then you can leave it there or make very small adjustments by quickly tapping the button. However, parlors will never allow USBs to be inserted into pachinko machines due to the very high security risks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: How Much of An Advantage is Using a Knob In Pachinko Over Other Control Meth

IMG_5211.jpg
    In some of the older moderns, a knob (and a rubber band) can be very useful

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan