Thread: Nishijin “You Got It” Sumo Theme Twist-Flex Display

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin “You Got It” Sumo Theme Twist-Flex Display

Got this machine, it’s in great shape but the 4” Toshiba display is DOA. I bought a replacement from Ali Express (great vendor btw) and the display illuminates, starts up with a few vertical rasters then fogs white. Previous owner said the display worked but slowly faded out to nil, thus the logic to replace the screen first.

Both the main board and the screen driver board are clean, no bad traces, no leaky caps, et al. The display responds to the color and driver trim pot adjustments. I’d like to get the display up and running. Just asking the tribe where they might recommend the next few troubleshooting suggestions. I’m new to the moderns and all the moderns I have collected to date work perfectly (Sankyo Indiana Jones, Fever Egyptian and Fever Wanted) so I haven’t done any poking around other than cleaning and adjusting.

Any thoughts folks? 117686CC-EC70-45DC-8467-4D4BB55E084C.jpg54A1CB9C-9C49-4D54-92DD-428893413325.jpg

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SumoStoo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin “You Got It” Sumo Theme Twist-Flex Display

sorry i cant help ya but wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

A YouTube video of the machines start up in the front and if possible the back separately posted on this thread and some nice, clear photos of the display hook ups and its hook ups to the brain box could be helpful to help us help you.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks TTC57. I'll gather some pictures later today. The startup is pretty much the machine setting up scanning for error codes, the go light flashes green then stays steady and the feature above the lower fever trap door flashes on and off. Launcher fires, game play is correct and it will go into 15 payoff mode as it should. The display just comes up with light gray vertical lines then slowly goes complete off-white and shows nothing.

The brain box I assume is the PCB with all the big EEPROMS and caps on it back lower left of the machine. There is also a small PCB behind the display screen that only has a few medium ICs on it. The backlighting for the screen is working.

I have rang out all the harnesses and each one has full continuity. I expect that this is a electrical component level issue, unless I got a bad display from Ali Express.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SumoStoo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Researched this type and its a Nishijin "Full House SV" type, manufacture year 1996. More troubleshooting this afternoon I found that the play action is perfect in reference to some youtube videos I reviewed. All the sounds, the events, and payouts even under the bonus mode all are exactly as the videos, its just the TFT LCD is not working. I disassembled the components and daisy-chained them together and tested using freeze spray and mild heat gun application, no joy.

There are two "personality" ICs on the circuit card behind the display itself and one on the mother board. Google translate shows the kanji to be the same name as the type, and I suspect they are all functional during play evaluation. I think it's a video driver circuit causing the lack of the TFT working. Pictures of the two boards are attached.

I'm wanting to know if any member knows which components are the video drivers/controls and/or if there is anyone out there with the skill to replace them. I'm a veteran Avionics technician, however this surface-mount soldering is well beyond my capabilities. I bet it would be a long shot to find serviceable boards out there for this type at any rate, and quite sure that Nishijin has long abandoned spares.

My spouse is a HUGE fan of Sumo and the added thrill of having the screen work would be fantastic. The "tumbler" finish is dictated by two Rikishi fighting it out over the center tumbler selection and its totally entertaining. Any hints or help would be most welcome.

Meantime, back to work on a '73 Type A I'm restoring for one of my pilot clients, my first attempt at replacing a vintage cel / mask. It's not easy but totally rewarding.

Everyone have a fine and fun weekend! IMG_5213.jpgIMG_5215.jpgIMG_5212.jpg

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SumoStoo