Thread: Is eBay losing its Allure?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Is eBay losing its Allure?

EBay Losing Allure for Some Entrepreneurs

EBay Losing Allure for Some Entrepreneurs

By RACHEL KONRAD, AP Technology Writer

Sun Jun 26, 9:56 PM ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. - With roughly 150 million registered users, eBay Inc. ranks among the world's most powerful companies, online or otherwise. It had more than 1.4 billion items listed last year. For every $100 spent online worldwide, $14 was spent on eBay. But some say eBay's blockbuster growth has engendered arrogance.

Entrepreneurs grumble that executives pander to big-ticket electronics vendors and industrial manufacturers — not the teddy bear enthusiasts and numismatists who were faithful a decade ago, when eBay was founded and enjoyed a kitschy obscurity. They complain about shoddy customer service, including site crashes and anti-fraud software that too often mistakes a legitimate business for a huckster.

Meanwhile, eBay executives are looking for new revenue as growth slows in North America and competition heats up from Amazon, Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news), Google Inc. and plucky startups. Business experts agree that eBay faces daunting obstacles, such as cracking the nascent Chinese e-commerce market and broadening the audience for PayPal, the online payment division that still does 71 percent of its transactions through eBay.

"They've made good strides but haven't fully monetized other opportunities," said David Edwards, an analyst at American Technology Research in San Francisco. "The nature of a marketplace is that once you have a critical mass, it tends to stick, and there's not a lot that can unseat it. But that's not to say that eBay doesn't have significant challenges ahead."

Jewelry dealer Michael Jansma used to be one of eBay's biggest cheerleaders. The entrepreneur from Largo, Fla., sells roughly $250,000 worth of baubles every month on the auction site. But the revenue Jansma gets from eBay has declined over the past year, and in January the company raised fees, denting his profits.

To compensate, he added inventory on his own site, gemaffair.com, which sells about $60,000 worth of pearls and other luxuries each month. In November, he opened an account with Overstock.com, where he sells $35,000 in merchandise per month. And in February, he began selling on Amazon.com, where sales have more than doubled each month.

"I hope eBay gets the message: People have choices, and if we're not happy we'll look elsewhere," Jansma said. "I hope eBay will rise to the occasion."

EBay foes concede that it would be nearly impossible to eclipse the world's largest online auction company. But that hasn't stopped them from carving out niches where they perceive eBay to be weak.

Take fraud, for example. EBay maintains that less than one-hundredth of 1 percent of all listings are fraudulent, but scammers target high-priced items such as plasma TVs, and some victims have lost thousands of dollars. Although eBay's fraud-detection software alerts internal investigators of suspicious listings, executives say it's impossible to police a site receiving as many as 2,000 new listings per second.

By contrast, Chicago-based UBid Inc. verifies addresses and checks bank references for all 3,700 of its sellers. Service representatives place random orders to ensure prompt delivery, said CEO Bob Tomlinson.

"EBay's taking a hands-off approach to fraud that makes some users uncomfortable," Tomlinson said. "We're taking a hands-on approach."

EBay has also gained a reputation as unresponsive to complaints, a company that acts like an unregulated monopoly and only recently has extended an olive branch.

In mid-January, eBay warned sellers in a terse e-mail that the monthly fee to operate an "Basic eBay Store" would increase from $9.95 to $15.95, and standard listing fees would double, to 40 cents. Sellers peppered eBay executives with angry mail, forcing the company to reduce some fees.

EBay CEO Meg Whitman acknowledges that some of eBay's user relationships have been difficult. But the company, which routinely flies in buyers and sellers for focus groups, has "redoubled" efforts to be innovative, she said.

"Sometimes it's a little bit like being a politician," Whitman said. "We have work to do in understanding our users' sentiments."

Bill Cobb, president of eBay North America, said the company would try to mollify disgruntled sellers with a new rule. If a winning bid comes from someone who has no intention of paying, the seller's rating will not suffer in eBay's "feedback" feature. Sellers often complain of too many fake bidders, particularly on cultural zeitgeist items. For example, in November, a grilled cheese sandwich purportedly depicting the Virgin Mary sold for $28,000, but only after the posting received 1.7 million hits and several astronomical fake bids were eliminated.

Such changes are a departure from the original mission of eBay founder Pierre Omidyar — to create a site that would act as an intermediary between buyers and sellers, devoid of oversight or bureaucracy.

"Pierre never in effect wanted customer support because the marketplace was supposed to work everything out," Cobb said. "But when you scale to 150 million members, you have to account for the margins. Unfortunately you have a very small percentage of people who will try to disrupt the marketplace."

But eBay's contrition may be too late. Salt Lake City-based Overstock.com launched an auction site eight months ago that addresses complaints from eBay sellers partly by charging roughly one-third of eBay's listing and transaction fees. It has 225,000 listings, from tractors to sneakers.

Holly MacDonald-Korth, senior vice president of Overstock auctions, takes calls directly from sellers. By contrast, eBay only stopped sending automated e-mail responses to sellers in February.

"Larger sellers give us a depth of inventory that we need, but the smaller sellers really give us the flavor," MacDonald-Korth said.

Despite the complaints, eBay still maintains an enviable, passionate user base. More than 10,000 sellers converged in San Jose last week for eBay's 10th anniversary, which ended Saturday with a concert by The B-52s.

Glenna Woolard of Santa Cruz, who sported a temporary eBay tattoo and a woven ponytail in eBay's logo colors, has been a seller since 1999. A stay-at-home mother of four, she hawks items purchased from local estate liquidations, garage sales and industrial auctions, with monthly revenue of $3,000. "EBay takes the 9-to-5 world away, so even someone like me can fit into the economy," Woolard said. She hopes to spend next summer collecting items to sell on eBay while driving cross-country in her Fleetwood Bounder, a mobile home she purchased on eBay for $29,000.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is eBay losing its Allure?

I think the real winners in online commerce are the shipping companies.....

Yahoo and Google are the next up and commers in this market with competitive products to Paypal being announced. Competition is good it will keep the prices down.

What ebay doesn't understand is that most people set their home page to be one of the major search engines and if google and yahoo want to go on a major campaign to get people to try their auction sites they have 10 to the x' power in marketing capacity to drive this at little or no cost.

Ebay currently represents the worlds largest online market. If you have something unique to sell this is the place that will give you the largest exposure but a large number of people are complaining about the fees.

I had heard it rumored at one time Ebay was going to start charging a buyers premium. Either a fixed amount or a percentage of the cost of the item, paid by the buyer to Ebay. I really hope that the added competition will drive them away from this.

Incidently Google whos IPO was po-pooed for being too high at 84.00 closed at over 300 yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I opened an ebay store and at under 10.00 it wasn't to bad, but when they raised their prices I closed it. I'm sure a lot of people did that.

They were going to close half.com for fixed price movies and books, but bent to sellers and left it open.
    no listing fees, just fees when items sold.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ebay started out "free" as an experiement.... I don;t begrudge them a reasonable listing fee but they are starting to take a chunk of change to the point you are not sure if you should list something or not. I think it should be a % of the sell price to some $ limit. On the other hand if I don't like what they are charging I can always vote with my feet.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do pachinko show up on the alternative auctions?
    Pachislo: Bounty Killer, Shadow Hearts 2 Biohazard reserved
    Wishlist: Battle Caesar, Crazy Sword, Dawn of Dreams, Basara 2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ebay has problems and charges way too much but most of the other auctions can't get you close to the final price that you can get on ebay, tried Yahoo and Amazon auctions and stuf just won't sell, until they get more buyers and more sellers ebay is the only place you can get decent prices for your merchandise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

when vhs movies still were popular, i would list either on amazon or ebay whichever got higher prices.

Listing under the rare movie category on Amazon i would get double or triple what i couild get on ebay.

Now you can't give vhs movies away

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What's a VHS movie? bwahaha
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorta like "what's an 8-track tape?"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My sister has an 8 track player in her 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.

I picked up a bunch of 8 tracks from goodwill for her.

I still have close to 1,000 vhs movies.

Utopia1dc

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    Sorta like "what's an 8-track tape?"
    Dang!

Slotter, you is old to remember 8 track? BTW, why was it called 8 track, if I remember correctly you would push the button and it went from 1 thru 4? Just curious if anyone knows?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

2 channels (stereo) X 4 programs = 8 tracks
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Utopia1dc

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe
    2 channels (stereo) X 4 programs = 8 tracks
    Oh okay, that makes sense. I was only a little young tike at the time, but I remember them from my older brothers. I remember my eldest brother got a boom box with an 8 track for Christmas one year (1975 or so?).

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well Remember "4 Track" and "Beta" I liked Beta cause you could recoard to it from VHS and it didn't record the copy protection. It had a clearer picture and better quilty.
    I have somewhere around here a 4 track of the sound track of Easy Rider the movie.

Where did it all go ?
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hmmmm... wikipedia says the quad-8 is "prized by collectors"???
    Those had two programs of 4 tracks... discrete 4 channel.

Maybe I should dig up the few that I had for my quad system (also from the 70's). I had some Q-8's of Moody Blues and Cat Stevens, I think.

Last time I tried some of the 8-tracks, the glue on the tape splices had gone bad (a common problem back then, too). What a pain they were to repair, if you could do it at all.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got good at taking them apart and fixing them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can still remember Dads old 1974 chevy. It had an 8 track player. We drove from Northern Canada down the Oragan Coast to the Mecca known as Disney Land...at least it was when I was 12. I still remember he had only one tape and the rendition of Neal Diamond siging Rindstone Cowboy is burnt into the back of my brain. The worst part about 8 tracks is that they auto repeat.....

Actually what did them in was not the superior size of casettes but rather the fact that you could record onto cassettes. 8 track recorders never became popular.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i had a 8 track recorder for years, but it would switch tracks right in the middle of recording. os there would be breaks in the songs.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I shortened a tape down to lenight of born to be wild, stepinwolf. and recoarded it four times.
    That was my crusing tape in my 57 chevy pickup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast