Thread: "Kinda working" Sankyo Umbrella Man...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default "Kinda working" Sankyo Umbrella Man...

Found this on the market. Looking for honest expert opinions, do you think it's worth $75 and a 6 hour round trip? I found a video of this one in action and it looks pretty cool, and I'd really like it. He says it turns on and lights up but "needs some work".. I'm assuming it's probably got a mechanical problem or jam. It looks to be in decent shape, other than dirty, and it doesn't appear to be missing anything in the back that I notice (but again I don't know about these things so I defer to the experts).

284617860_5060152047415096_6923951257483045417_n.jpg283469616_5703638596332645_5011589935964106277_n.jpg283390824_5168863259846230_3291334990754302228_n.jpg283541777_5872976532731338_2416323881417676071_n.jpg

He also has another one which he says doesn't work, and would be for decoration or parts, asking $50.. It looks rough but possibly complete other than the seesaw cover? Any input on this one? If y'all say it's worth fixing I was thinking of offering $100 for both.

281738129_5229250453804292_5629992952426474645_n.jpg281392558_5307321029306191_5316119256520276991_n.jpg283627905_5135563816512543_1801819404143557424_n.jpg281589274_7371439029593556_5296384372341632474_n.jpg284676618_5506288082801732_3374156094168814042_n.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to taz420nj

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Kinda working" Sankyo Umbrella Man...

Well are you up for the challenge of fixing both of them ? The Vintage one looks like some interesting electronics on it .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Celebrity GPA (Umbrella Man or Parasol Man) is a fun machine to have. Mine has a few breaks in the inner plastics which are 30+ years old but otherwise works well. I was playing it last night as I tended to my herd.

If you get it I think you will enjoy it. These come apart in layers so take pictures if you disassemble it for a backup to reassembling. Looking at the pictures the front looks okay. The rear is missing a large cover over the payout system but I don't think it should matter to much. It would be good to cover it eventually. The pairs of red and white wires hanging towards the bottom are for the speaker which were disconnected due to how loud these are. A volume pot of any kind should work well for this machine. I put one on one of these wires and stuck to the metal case with some two sided tape.

https://www.sankyo-fever.jp/history/...ail.php?id=132

As for the second machine it looks a bit rough but I'll let others offer up suggestions on it as I'm more into the modern machines.

As for cost I might give $75 if it looked like an easy fix but with the long drive I'd offer 50-60 with the cost of gas these days. The seller may agree with that, worth asking.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Well are you up for the challenge of fixing both of them ? The Vintage one looks like some interesting electronics on it .
    Absolutely!! I love to tinker!

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Celebrity GPA (Umbrella Man or Parasol Man) is a fun machine to have. Mine has a few breaks in the inner plastics which are 30+ years old but otherwise works well. I was playing it last night as I tended to my herd.

If you get it I think you will enjoy it. These come apart in layers so take pictures if you disassemble it for a backup to reassembling. Looking at the pictures the front looks okay. The rear is missing a large cover over the payout system but I don't think it should matter to much. It would be good to cover it eventually. The pairs of red and white wires hanging towards the bottom are for the speaker which were disconnected due to how loud these are. A volume pot of any kind should work well for this machine. I put one on one of these wires and stuck to the metal case with some two sided tape.

As for the second machine it looks a bit rough but I'll let others offer up suggestions on it as I'm more into the modern machines.

As for cost I might give $75 if it looked like an easy fix but with the long drive I'd offer 50-60 with the cost of gas these days. The seller may agree with that, worth asking.
    Wish I could read Japanese, I'd love to know more about it.

Have you (or anybody else) ever used Fastenal Blue Lane for shipping? From what I can find on it, others have shipped much heavier things like engines across the country for seemingly less than it would cost me in gas, so I can't imagine it would be that much to ship a hundred pounds 400 miles.. There's a Fastenal a few miles from him and one in town here.. Any gotchas going that route?

8. The following user says "Thanks" to taz420nj

Thanks
    Thanks Received

umbella man has a ball jam.. probably worth a shot at.. when ya get there point our the ball jam let him know you should not be able to see balls from the back side of a macine that is empty.. an ytou should never see balls in the lower half..

the vintage is interesting.. but i would need to see more better pics to understand what should be going on with the power required bits..

buy them both and offer less..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know Japanese, just using translators.

I haven't used Fastenal yet. The biggest thing is for the machine(s) to be protected on all sides. Sometimes a road trip is a good thing to do. Perhaps line up a couple more to look at.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post

Well, I went for it. Got both for $100. The Umbrella man is in a little rougher shape than I thought, but I'm down for the challenge. First thing I took the "top layer" off the back and found a huge jam at the bottom (by the motor) - and the balls had rusted together. I don't see any other rust in the mechanism itself. However now that I look closer at the jackpot mechanism it appears something might be missing (aside from the cover)? The rockers that should be for the empty hopper payout inhibitor doesn't actually connect to anything or appear able to contact the jackpot mechanism... Is there a lever or rod missing there? It also has a 7/15 jackpot, but the front says 6/13...

20220723_122958[2].jpg20220723_122950[1].jpg

The entire back mechanism is filthy and needs to be cleaned - aside from the dirt and rust in the ball tracks, various insects have cocooned in there.. Is it a matter of breaking it all down and washing all the plastics in the kitchen sink?

The center attraction is also very dirty. I've already removed it and started taking it apart to clean it, but hit a snag with that too. It appears to have been broken and repaired many years ago (very yellowed krazy glue residue), and the acrylic is very brittle so a couple mounting tabs and screw bosses are basically just falling apart. The actual umbrella man fell apart, but he's going to be my first project once I get my 3D scanner finished. The front moving arm piece is missing (I knew that from the pics).. Is there any possibility you could give me a good clear high res pic of it and measurements if you have a calipers?

There are several parts that I am going to scan and print replacements for... But this machine has a lot of clear acrylic too, and I don't have a resin printer so I wouldn't be able to print anything transparent. Is there any salvaging clear parts like this? Even when they're clean, theyre still pretty hazy.

20220723_152222[1].jpg

One last thing.. I'm going to replace all of the bulbs with LEDS.. Do you have any idea what the voltage is on them? I'm talking about the regular big bulbs in the center attraction and jackpot/empty, as well as the grain-of-wheat clusters around the pockets. Thanks!

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to taz420nj

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

There's supposed to be little hooks on those ball out inhibitor levers. Most are cut by the resellers so the game won't stop if your out of balls. Seen more than a few like this.
    Either the payout mech has been replaced with a 15/7, or it's adjustable for different payouts. I think the clear lever below the white levers can be replaced with longer or shorter ones for larger or smaller payouts.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    There's supposed to be little hooks on those ball out inhibitor levers. Most are cut by the resellers so the game won't stop if your out of balls. Seen more than a few like this.
    Either the payout mech has been replaced with a 15/7, or it's adjustable for different payouts. I think the clear lever below the white levers can be replaced with longer or shorter ones for larger or smaller payouts.

I think you can adjust the payout via the rod held by the cotter pin being moved up one hole.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got a couple pics but it is too tight to get my calipers in there. Sorry to say I am not willing to dismantle any more on this machine given the last couple of times I did I ended up with multiple additional repairs needed. That's a 30 year old machine for ya!

20220724_110945.jpg20220724_111129.jpg

You can wash the plastics most any way as long as the end up clean and smooth for ball travel. Q-tips and rubbing alcohol works well too. I left the center attraction alone on mine after repairing the brothers and some plastics. Very brittle in there! As for the bulbs I don't know the sizes and voltages.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by taz420nj View Post
    Have you (or anybody else) ever used Fastenal Blue Lane for shipping? From what I can find on it, others have shipped much heavier things like engines across the country for seemingly less than it would cost me in gas, so I can't imagine it would be that much to ship a hundred pounds 400 miles.. There's a Fastenal a few miles from him and one in town here.. Any gotchas going that route?
    Did you use Fastenal? How was it?