Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Identifying model

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Identifying model

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I am new to the world of Pachislo, and I was given a Lucky Chance machine by a very good friend of mine. He said it was working up until he moved it out for me to take it.

Anyhow, the unit powers on, some of the lights come on, and the fan kicks on. From there, nothing else happens (the front display does not come on). I’ve gone through each connector and they are on there solidly. He says there should be an audible noise from the actuator by the coin slot, but that isn’t happening.

I tested power to the front board (this is an older model so there is no led indicator on the inside. I’m not sure where to turn to next.. any help or pointers would be fantastic. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Identifying model

(autocorrect killed the subject on this thread and I don't have a way to fix that)

I figured I would start with trying to identify the model, and then work my way out from there. What are some ways to identify the model of the machine I have?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Identifying mode

pictures

please post pics

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Identifying mode

WELCOME!!!

I'll fix your thread title!!

Here's a link to a posting pics how to!!

https://www.pachitalk.com/How-to-Post-Pictures

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just moved it to the right section. If I was to start policing spelling it would be a full time job.

(And that's just correcting my own posts)
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi, before the pics show up, when you say you checked the connections, did you disconnect, inspect and reseat them all because that's the standard procedure around here. I would be particularly concerned with those coming from the power supply and motherboard. Also, did you perform a full reset properly?

8. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rockston View Post
    Hi, before the pics show up, when you say you checked the connections, did you disconnect, inspect and reseat them all because that's the standard procedure around here. I would be particularly concerned with those coming from the power supply and motherboard. Also, did you perform a full reset properly?
    Wow. First off, thank you all for the responses. The warm welcome is wonderful!

I reseated all of the connections, one by one. I have not sprayed them with electronics cleaner yet.. just simply disconnected, used canned air to clean the dust away (not much if any that I could see), and reconnected. One by one.. power off, disconnect a connection, hit it with some air, reconnect it, make sure I got the satisfying click, power it back on. Then on to the next one.

I cannot tell if I am doing a reset because the center display isn’t coming on.

Photos are below:

Last edited by Funtechnerd; 03-08-2022 at 06:37 PM.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Funtechnerd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I should also add that I do hear a slight audible noise coming from the speaker just after powering it up. Just a slight pop sound. But nothing coming off of the ribbon cable is lighting up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That Lucky Chance is 30 years old, I would inspect the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and check for DC voltage output. You can do the reset without feedback from the machine. Turn off power, turn the key on, power on, hit the spin knob a few times, turn the key off.
    Last edited by rockston; 03-09-2022 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

30 years old? Wow. Are there ways to look this up? In other words: how did you know / what was the giveaway as to its age?

You're thinking that the power supply might be weak?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The giveaway of it's age. It's looks, internal arrangement of things like the mother board and power supply box. Style of graphics on the reels are a big one. Both the bar symbols and sometimes the use of certain symbols like the orange that are now rarely used. Also the bonus game if any. The bonus games are vary simple on older machines.
    Examples are extra reel on top or inline with the regular reels, dot matrix, the el-vision and video screens.
    I have a machine called the Jackpot. It is an older machine. It's bonus ply is two small number displays. Uses both red and black bar symbol. Has oranges on the reels and they come up often. Vary old tune for the music. I love the machine! It is in my top five.
    If you were to put it side by side to newer machines it would only be rated as a lower grade machine in game play but it has a classy ness? to it.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any chance of a close up of the 2 stickers on the bottom corners of belly glass? Nothing to do with the issue. Just my own curiosity.

That white panel below the reel glass looks a lot newer than the rest of the machine. The white doesn't seem to have any signs of aging.
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 03-09-2022 at 03:19 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Funtechnerd View Post
    30 years old? Wow. Are there ways to look this up? In other words: how did you know / what was the giveaway as to its age?

You're thinking that the power supply might be weak?
    If you want to see a little more about it go to pachislodb.com, become a member and simply look it up in the database. It looks to me that the 110 volt lights are working but nothing else is, if this thing is dead, the first thing to check is the DC coming from the power supply. You should have 5VDC or something close to that for the micro processor and also perhaps 12 to 24 DC for the hopper and lights. These machines are used for 2 years by Japanese law and then they are discarded or exported. There are no schematics, you are on your own to fix it! Electrolytic capacitors are notorious for being the first thing to fail.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Any chance of a close up of the 2 stickers on the bottom corners of belly glass? Nothing to do with the issue. Just my own curiosity.

That white panel below the reel glass looks a lot newer than the rest of the machine. The white doesn't seem to have any signs of aging.
    Sure! I’ll grab one first thing tomorrow.
    My friend whom I got it from has had it for a l-o-n-g time and is a bit over the top with keeping things clean and in good shape.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you want to see a little more about it go to pachislodb.com, become a member and simply look it up in the database. It looks to me that the 110 volt lights are working but nothing else is, if this thing is dead, the first thing to check is the DC coming from the power supply. You should have 5VDC or something close to that for the micro processor and also perhaps 12 to 24 DC for the hopper and lights. These machines are used for 2 years by Japanese law and then they are discarded or exported. There are no schematics, you are on your own to fix it! Electrolytic capacitors are notorious for being the first thing to fail.
    Wow. 2yrs of use only? When I told my friend about the prospect of this being 30over old, he thought for a moment and said “well, that might be right. I know I’ve owned it for more than 20… and I didn’t use it much.”

No schematics, eh? Dang..

Great eye. Yes, good point. The 110v lighting is all working. I can get a multimeter on the hopper to see what I get on it. Where might I test for the cpu?

For the capacitors, are the ones in the power supply typically the issue or elsewhere?

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would test all the pins to ground coming out of the power supply. I cant help you specifically, but you should see DC coming from it. Check every capacitor you find for a hump formed at the top. However plenty of time, they are bad without showing any physical damage.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post

I would test all the pins to ground coming out of the power supply. I cant help you specifically, but you should see DC coming from it. Check every capacitor you find for a hump formed at the top. However plenty of time, they are bad without showing any physical damage.
    So. Many. Capacitors. O.o

I tested the connector at the top of the power supply and got no reading. So I pulled the power supply (note: pulling the hopper changes the weight distribution when the door is open causing it to suddenly fall at you.. lesson learned) and cracked it open for inspection. Everything appears good.. no caps blown.

I will have to read up on how to test the capacitors and resistors.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Funtechnerd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Whats up with what looks like messy grey epoxy upper left?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Whats up with what looks like messy grey epoxy upper left?
    I saw that too when I opened it. I don’t know why it is there because it doesn’t appear to be doing anything constructive. It kind of has the consistency of rubber cement.. just more flexible. It can easily be peeled off, but I didn’t because of my lack of knowledge.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hmmm pretty certain it's not from the manufacturer. Someone may have noticed something there and did it as a preventative or
    easy fix to a connection they found that was intermittent or faulty. May even be the current source of your problem.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to rockston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast